GMD Poll: Rush's Discography Ranked

5) Grace Under Pressure (1984)

3583.jpg

Average points per vote: 11.8

First place votes: 2 (@crimsonfloyd @The Ozzman)

Didn't you also say that Grace Under Pressure was the best Rush album? Rush wasn't meant to be a prog-lite keyboard rock band.

Grace Under Pressure is my favorite Rush album because of its degree of consistency.

Push comes to shove, I would give the same answer. Peart perfectly merges the philosophical and personal dimensions of his writing. The songs are catchy, yet are full of depth and texture.

2) Moving Pictures (1981)

3580.jpg

Average points per vote: 15.5

definitely Moving Pictures

that's a good intro to Rush

one of the more accessible and enjoyable prog bands. great stuff.

moving pictures . . because Tom Sawyer is my favorite song from them . . plus that was the first cassette I ever bought, way back in 81'

Reactions: CiG
Thanks for the bonus poll. The Top 5 wasn't surprising except for GUP since that typically isn't hailed as an all time Rush classic by lots of people but I think people are growing to appreciate it after 35 years. Even though it's my #1, I wasn't expecting Top 5. Top 10 surely.

The fact that both you and I had it number one helped, since only 5 votes counted. I liked doing this interlude thread, even though only a few people voted. I wouldn’t mind doing other ones for bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. from time to time as we transition from one batch of metal bands to another.

I'm not as big on Grace Under Pressure (for me still a 7/10 though) as you guys but all in all a great top 5.

I wouldn't mind doing King Crimson for an interlude game.

Jesus Fucking Christ! What the fuck is wrong with you people! Now I have to fix this:

---------------Holy Fucking Grail of Music!---------------
1. Hemispheres (1978)
2. Caress of Steel (1975)
3. Fly by Night (1975)
4. A Farewell to Kings (1977)
5. 2112 (1976)
---------------Still better than 99% of whats out there!---------------
6. Permanent Waves (1980)
7. Moving Pictures (1981)
8. Rush (1974)
---------------Still good!---------------
9. Signals (1982)
10. Grace Under Pressure (1984)

The rest, who cares.

This is the CORRECT order. Don't argue with me, Alex has been my avatar for like the last 10 fucking years!

Last edited:
Reactions: The Ozzman
Jesus Fucking Christ! What the fuck is wrong with you people! Now I have to fix this:

1. Hemispheres (1978)
2. Caress of Steel (1975)
3. Fly by Night (1975)
4. A Farewell to Kings (1977)
5. 2112 (1976)
---------------Holy Fucking Grail of Music!---------------
6. Permanent Waves (1980)
7. Moving Pictures (1981)
8. Rush (1974)
---------------Still better than 99% of whats out there!---------------
9. Signals (1982)
10. Grace Under Pressure (1984)
---------------Still good!---------------

The rest, who cares.

This is the CORRECT order. Don't argue with me, Alex has been my avatar for like the last 10 fucking years!

Pretty shit.

The fact that both you and I had it number one helped, since only 5 votes counted. I liked doing this interlude thread, even though only a few people voted. I wouldn’t mind doing other ones for bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. from time to time as we transition from one batch of metal bands to another.
Would love to do a Led Zep exercise.

I find Moving Pictures to be a wee bit overrated, especially the second half. However, as I have stated, it is still better than 99% of what is out there. The real problem is that their second and third albums are ridiculously underrated. Some of that stuff simply has no worthy heirs.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t mind doing other ones for bands like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, etc. from time to time as we transition from one batch of metal bands to another.
Budgie could be good too as their discography seems like one people should hear. But then I've heard about 9 Rush albums and still fell far short of being motivated to rank them.

Putting 2112 over Permanent Waves made me lol, talk about an overrated album.

Can’t agree there. The title track is truly brilliant. It the most cinematic song I’ve ever heard. It truly feels like watching or reading a space epic in music form. Side B is a bunch of straight forward rock songs, but they range from good to great. Something for Nothing is stellar.

Permanent Waves has great material as well, don’t get me wrong, but I have trouble seeing how it’s head and shoulders above 2112.

Budgie could be good too as their discography seems like one people should hear. But then I've heard about 9 Rush albums and still fell far short of being motivated to rank them.

I just wonder who knows their discography to thay level here. I really like their early albums, but haven’t heard most of their stuff.