GMD Poll: Rush's Discography Ranked

Post-Moving Pictures Rush doesn't do much for me in general these days. That album comes off as a little homogeneous to me, and The Body Electric and Red Lenses get too cheesy/lightweight for me. It's still a 5/10-ish album for me though.

I've said several times I'm in the process of going through their discography, so yes I obviously plan to vote.
This undertaking shouldn't be underestimated. Dunno how you can pit this much prog into your brain in such a short space of time.

About a month has gone by since I started (and this thread was created) and it's definitely an undertaking, especially because so much of the stuff post 1984 is mediocre as fuck, with a few gem tracks here and there.

Basically everything past Signals is meh. Caress of Steel and 2112 are top notch albums and I quite like the first two but not as much. Anyways, I hate faggots who don’t like Rush.

xxx.jpg

Permanent Waves (1980)
Moving Pictures (1981)
Hemispheres (1978)
A Farewell to Kings (1977)
Caress of Steel (1975)
Clockwork Angels (2012)
Vapor Trails (2002)
Grace Under Pressure (1984)
2112 (1976)
Fly by Night (1975)
Rush (1974)
Counterparts (1993)
Snakes and Arrows (2007)
Test for Echo (1996)
Signals (1982)
Power Windows (1985)
Presto (1989)
Hold Your Fire (1987)
Roll the Bones (1991)

Even though a good chunk of their discography had devolved into fairly generic pop rock that if recorded by any other band would be dismissed or overlooked, the only album I truly didn't really enjoy was Roll the Bones. Other than that even the aforementioned pop rock material was enjoyable.

As a result of this game, going through all their albums, my favourite Rush record has changed from what it used to be, Caress of Steel and A Farewell to Kings, to Permanent Waves. What a fucking fantastic album!

Also I have to say that I wasn't expecting much from their post-90's albums but Clockwork Angels and Vapor Trails really impressed me. Definitely two Rush albums I will be sure to return to after this whole thing is over.

Big shout-out to @The Ozzman for basically making this discog game happen and to @crimsonfloyd for doing these discog games in general. :kickass:

Results are in. For full transparency, I am not counting zemat's vote. Had he continued to post on the forum, including other threads, I would have, but since he didn't I'd rather only include the votes of forum regulars.

Reactions: CiG
18 (T): Roll the Bones (1991)
R-1368169-1213465586.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.75/19

a vote for roll the bones [as Rush's finest album]

18 (T): Test for Echo (1996)
7fc9a847931747f4b53aa144dfc44f9b

Average points per vote: 4.75/19

I havent heard it yet but the past few Rush albums are a disgrace :puke: and makes me wish they retired long ago when they cared about music.

I'll give it a listen though I'm not expecting anything special .

^ Blasphemy. Test for Echo and Vapor Trails are great records.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG