GMD Poll: Rush's Discography Ranked

giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG
OK...

1.- I don't know who or what is an Omni.

2.-I Joined 3 years ago , that's true, but I forgot about this forum until a few days ago.

3.-I like Rush , I like ATG... (And all Fates Warning-eras),

4- I am 41 years old, live in Mexico if any onf you want any proof, I suggest you look for a Watain video in Youtube of the song "Malfeitor in San Luis Potosi, feb 1"... and You will see the leadsinger E. Danielsson with a Bandage in his left forearm ...thats a burn that he got the night before in Guadalajara..., I healed him. here in San Luis...If you see any other Watain videos from that tour in Mexico (or pictures that is), He doesn't have that bandage.

5-Besides Rush, my favourite bands are : Celtic Frost/Triptykon, Blind Guardian, Mastodon, Watain ,Fates Warning, Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Vektor, Sulphur Aeon, Deep Purple, Emperor, Agalloch, Destruction, early- Def Leppard, Anathema, and so on...
I have been listening to Hard Rock, Heavy Metal for 30 years, And I am friends with most of Mexico's Concert promoters, Fortunate enough to work with them , been on the road with the likes of : Deep Purple, Mayhem, Watain, Obscura, In Flames, Immortal, Megadeth, Overkill, Destruction, Fates Warning, Anathema, Kreator, Nile, and many many more...

6-Been in contact with the Metal comunity here in Mexico for many years, More than 200 concerts and a huge collection of vinyls, cds etc.. have been part of my life, I think Internet Forums are a tool of knowledge to find new bands and talk with people with similar interest as yours.... but the welcome that I have gotten here since yesterday made feel I am not welcome so will guess I'll leave then... so farewell...

P.S....I said my name is JOSE... not Juan.....

OK...

1.- I don't know who or what is an Omni.

2.-I Joined 3 years ago , that's true, but I forgot about this forum until a few days ago.

3.-I like Rush , I like ATG... (And all Fates Warning-eras),

4- I am 41 years old, live in Mexico if any onf you want any proof, I suggest you look for a Watain video in Youtube of the song "Malfeitor in San Luis Potosi, feb 1"... and You will see the leadsinger E. Danielsson with a Bandage in his left forearm ...thats a burn that he got the night before in Guadalajara..., I healed him. here in San Luis...If you see any other Watain videos from that tour in Mexico (or pictures that is), He doesn't have that bandage.

5-Besides Rush, my favourite bands are : Celtic Frost/Triptykon, Blind Guardian, Mastodon, Watain ,Fates Warning, Megadeth, Alice In Chains, Vektor, Sulphur Aeon, Deep Purple, Emperor, Agalloch, Destruction, early- Def Leppard, Anathema, and so on...
I have been listening to Hard Rock, Heavy Metal for 30 years, And I am friends with most of Mexico's Concert promoters, Fortunate enough to work with them , been on the road with the likes of : Deep Purple, Mayhem, Watain, Obscura, In Flames, Immortal, Megadeth, Overkill, Destruction, Fates Warning, Anathema, Kreator, Nile, and many many more...

6-Been in contact with the Metal comunity here in Mexico for many years, More than 200 concerts and a huge collection of vinyls, cds etc.. have been part of my life, I think Internet Forums are a tool of knowledge to find new bands and talk with people with similar interest as yours.... but the welcome that I have gotten here since yesterday made feel I am not welcome so will guess I'll leave then... so farewell...

P.S....I said my name is JOSE... not Juan.....
Were just busting balls man, it's what we do. Stick around.

And even if you're an alt, no one cares unless you start spilling vitriol.

btw i'm Ricky Bobby from Florida. nice to meet you.

nIr8WqJ.gif

I'll preface this by saying that there is no bad Rush album (except T4E). While some of these may be considered too low by some, I had to give each one a ranking. It was hard to rank a majority of these and I'm sure that on a different day, everything outside of the Top 5 would be different. The 80s era is some of the most underrated and overlooked music by a majority of the casual fans in my opinion. Some of Geddy's best bass work which was probably to offset the synth heavy nature of their music.

In028B.gif

1) Grace Under Pressure
2) Moving Pictures
3) Hemispheres
4) Counterparts
5) Vapor Trails
6) Snakes and Arrows
7) Presto
8) Hold Your Fire
9) Power Windows
10) Signals
11) Roll the Bones
12) Clockwork Angels
13) Permanent Waves
14) 2112
15) A Farewell to Kings
16) Rush
17) Fly by Night
18) Caress of Steel
19) Test for Echo

Grace Under Pressure is this band's magnum opus. In fact, they are quoted as saying it's their most satisfying record. Dark, introspective and all around the most coherent record they released. 35th anniversary of the album's release this year.

Signals and Presto took me literally almost a decade to appreciate. Presto is an overlooked masterpiece by this band. The only bad track on Signals is Countdown....completely omit it and this album jumps a few spots. Hold Your Fire is one that I thought was pretty bad for a long time but 6 of the 8 tracks are very memorable. Tai Shan was a mistake though. Definitely one of the most underrated Rush records along with Presto. Roll the Bones is straight forward and has some good stuff on there but meanders at parts. It is still good though.

'Permanent Waves tho' Yeah, yeah. I get the hype behind this record but it loses me halfway through for whatever reason. I cannot knock it though due to the transitional nature of the record.

Last edited:
Reactions: HamburgerBoy
It's funny, we have the same top 3 (though the order is different) but after that we totally disagree. I'm still working my way through their discography chronologically (listening to Power Windows right now), but if my opinion hasn't changed, I anticipate Test for Echo being the highest of their 90s albums while Vapor Trails and Presto will probably be in the bottom 3, along with Hold Your Fire.

Still slowly going through and relistening to their discog, about to put on Hemispheres actually.

Yeah, I know it's going to take a while if people do every album and aren't super familiar with their catalog but I figure if people only want to do the minimum then it deserves a bump.

Just got Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels to go. So far, my opinions haven't significantly changed on any of their albums, but it's great to relisten to everything of theirs.