S.I.: I Can't Wait To Be Able To Play BUSH-Era Songs Again

freakbrother6969

Senior Pothead
Feb 22, 2003
Rudolfshome Fivehouse - Vienna
Visit site
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051006/ENTERTAINMENT/110060021

Viruses mutate. And when they do, there are various reactions to the new strain and opinions about how to approach it. But perception of the new nevertheless remains colored by the ghost of the old.

It’s a metaphor that perhaps will be forgiven when one considers the band it is herein applied to the mighty Anthrax, one of a handful of progenitors of thrash metal that first burst onto the scene 20 years ago with the classic disc, “Spreading the Disease.”

It isn’t just the name that makes the metaphor fit, though. There’s the drama, too. About 1992, after a string of classic records, the band dumped longtime lead singer Joey Belladonna in favor of former Armored Saint vocalist John Bush, replaced lead guitarist Dan Spitz with a revolving cast of characters and began to write a new, different history.

For 13 years, there was an ongoing argument among fans over which version was superior. Then earlier this year the band surprised everyone with an announcement that the original lineup would be getting back together for a yearlong series of reunion dates. Suddenly the reunion detractors had been endlessly clamoring for was upon us, but partisans of the Bush era were instantly unhappy.

“We’re not U2. Everyone doesn’t love us all the time,” said guitarist and founding member Scott Ian. “I’m not surprised by any of the reactions. Music comes down to two things: You either like it or you don’t, and everybody has an opinion. It’s a very volatile thing. If we spent our time listening to people outside of the band about everything we do, Anthrax never would have even made our first record. So I have to go with what my heart, my gut and my soul are telling me.”

The reunited band performs at the Paul Tsongas Arena in Lowell, Mass., on Friday night on the heels of its recently released two-disc greatest hits package, “Anthrology: No Hit Wonders,” opening for Judas Priest.

“The only way I can look at this tour is from the point of view of myself as a 16-year-old kid going to Judas Priest shows,” Ian enthused. “That’s how I feel whenever I’m around these guys, even though I’ve known them for years. It’s a win-win situation for us. The shows are killer, and we get to hang out with our heroes.”

The true test of a reunion – whether it be a romance, friendship or band – is of course not the first blushing assuagements of the bitter transgressions of the past. It’s what happens after the gloss of the so-called honeymoon period begins to dull.

“Well the only way it’s really progressing is on a personal level,” Ian explained. “We haven’t really tried to move forward musically or creatively in any way. I can honestly say we’re in a better place, personally, than ever before. I just basically attribute that to the fact that we’ve grown up. Things that seemed important 15 years ago definitely aren’t as important now.”

Still, Anthrax has existed for some time now in another context with another singer and released several albums, including the much-heralded 2003 disc “We’ve Come for You All.” Ian insists that while he is in the midst of reliving the long past, the recent past is never far from his mind.

“I absolutely miss those songs from ‘Sound of White Noise,’ ‘We’ve Come for You All’ and the other records we did with John Bush,” he said. “I can’t wait to be able to play those songs again.” :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Fair enough, but with Bush seemingly indicating in a recent interview that his time with Anthrax is done, how is the band planning to eventually approach those and future songs?
“Believe me, it’s as confusing to me as anyone else,” Ian said. “I feel like I’m living in this alternate reality where I’m somehow in two different versions of Anthrax at the same time. The only thing that’s going to define it for me is the music we come up with, and we’ll just have to take it from there.”

This year fans should expect the band to play the greatest hits from its 1985-91 halcyon days in their original form rather than the shortened, altered arrangements of recent years.

“I understand why we did what we did to these songs in the ’90s because we had this huge catalog to play from, all the old stuff as well as all the records we did with John Bush, so it made sense,” Ian explained. “Our attitude going into this reunion was ‘Let’s play these songs note for note how we played and recorded them in the ’80s. Truthfully, they’re so much better this way.”

A lot has changed since Anthrax last played this set, Ian said, and not all for the better.

“People so often look back with rose-colored glasses and say those were the good old days, but back when we first signed our record contract in 1985, those really were the good old days,” he laughed woefully. “We’ve seen it go from a business run by music lovers at all these different labels to two or three corporations run by lawyers and accountants.”

If the band was starting out today, he added, its storied, trail-blazing history might have been over before it even began.

“In the ’80s we had to fight for everything we got,” he said. “Nobody knew how to market a band like Anthrax at Island Records in 1985. We basically learned together and had huge success together. That couldn’t happen today. There is no such thing as a label giving bands a few records to develop their careers. If you don’t go gold or platinum on your first record, you’re done, over. Next.

“If that had been the case in the ’60s, ’70s or ’80s, every great band everybody loves and listens to today wouldn’t exist,” he added. “They never would have made it.”

Taking the path of most resistance musically has not always ended with a pot of gold, but following his heart has given Ian plenty of peace of mind and a musical legacy others may bicker over but of which he is quite proud.

“The challenge of writing music, making records and playing live is really what drives me, not whether the mass commercial media pays attention to what we do,” Ian said. “The creative aspect is what I love about being in a band. I love being able to write songs and I love being in the studio and I love playing live. I still feel like I have a lot to say musically and lyrically, and that’s what keeps me going.”

So it all still feels right in his heart, gut and soul?

“I wouldn’t be here if it didn’t,” Ian said.

Well, than PLAY THEM AGAIN with John! Please! :worship:

We'll hear them again, definately.....

whether it's with Bush is another story.

Crabmeat said:
We'll hear them again, definately.....

whether it's with Bush is another story.

Or another way - whether it's with Anthrax :) (Inspiration - I've heard that Tony Martin has a new live band and his catalogue consists 90% of Sabbath songs)

“I feel like I’m living in this alternate reality where I’m somehow in two different versions of Anthrax at the same time. The only thing that’s going to define it for me is the music we come up with, and we’ll just have to take it from there.”

:puke: I can'ts stands no more

Hmmm... Joey singing bush era stuff would be interesting, I honestly didnt enjoy bush singing joey era stuff that much, I think joey might sound cool on Only and a few others though... I dont know... would have to hear it.

freakbrother6969 “I absolutely miss those songs from ‘Sound of White Noise said:
After a really crappy day, I can honestly say that I feel a whole lot better now just because I read that.

I've been jamming to WCFYA non stop in my car for the past week.

I'd really miss never being able to hear Hi Pro Glo live again, got to scream into the mic during it at a show in Lorain once.

manthatfollowshell said:
After a really crappy day, I can honestly say that I feel a whole lot better now just because I read that.

I've been jamming to WCFYA non stop in my car for the past week.

I'd really miss never being able to hear Hi Pro Glo live again, got to scream into the mic during it at a show in Lorain once.

Hyproglo is awesome. Potter's Field is the best live.:headbang:

I wanna hear Cadillac Rock Box live now!:devil: