S.O.D.- Dysfunction certainly is the word

Billenzimmer

Jan 19, 2006
S.O.D.- 20 Years Of Dysfunction (DVD)
Megaforce Records, 2005
By James Willcock

B000A0GXZ6.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Score!" I thought to myself when given this to review, "An S.O.D. DVD, something I don't own by them already". Managing to keep up their highly productive 1 release every 7 year average (I'm not counting the Seasoning the Obese EP as its impossible to get a hold of), the DVD consists of live footage, interviews and a couple of music videos.

For those of you who dont know, S.O.D. are a side project of Anthrax formed in 1985, consisting of Scott Ian of Anthrax (Guitars), Dan Lilker of Anthrax (Bass), Charlie Bendante of Anthrax (Drums) and Billy Milano of, erm, Anthrax's road crew. They have produced two full albums which are the South Park of metal- crude, offensive, quickly put together and about as un-P.C. as you can get.

The main part of the DVD consists of live footage of the band playing most of the classics from the Speak English or Die album, plus a highlight for me in the form of previously unreleased ballads (an S.O.D. ballad is unique and has to be heard for yourself), interspersed with back stage footage of all the members of the band. The DVD also includes a tribute by Billy Milano to the victims of the World Trade Centre attacks on September 11th, interviews with Billy Milano and Alex Perialas, who produced Speak English Or Die , videos for 'Fuck the Middle East' and 'March of the SOD/Sgt. D. and the SOD', as well as 5 "mini-concerts", 15-20 mins long, from around the world. Also included is an bootleg made official of a live gig from 1985, with a very similar set-list to that of the other live album, Live At The Budokan.

The mini-concerts highlight the main problem with this DVD, in that the sound quality is low (but then again, it is SOD, what do you expect) but more importantly, the set list is identical for each gig. This is a trend over the DVD as a whole, which lacks any material from the second album, despite including gigs recorded after it's release. My other problem is that its been compiled by Billy Milano, and therefore tries it best to show the rest of the band in as negative light as possible without being offensive, due to Billy Milano being the kind of arrogant person who believes he owes the rest of the band nothing despite the fact he would be nowhere without them. To see the fat man get into a hissy fit on stage watch the mini-concert from Germany, which is funny in the same way The Office is... tragic. One thing this DVD does answer for fans such as myself is "What is the Milano Mosh?" The answer is "a very overweight, arrogant, ingrate of a man standing virtually still".

Overall, worth getting if you're a fan, but don't expect anything great, especially as there is very little you wont have seen or heard before.

7/10

How the hell can I appreciate the comments when I don't even really understand them. You dont like the DVD? You dont like my review? I'm a bit confused

sod changed everything in metal history you fucking retarted!!!!
you must wash you mouth when youre talking
about CROSSOVER bands.
-it is sod what do you expect?-
what the fuck is that?

You are a euro trash loser.

secondly.. I AM SOD- Scott Ian and Charlie Benante have the personality of wet socks and treat their fans like shit.

Thirdly..This DVD has nothing to do with the Second record. I'm not saying I don't like Bigger than the Devil but it doesn't have any relevence to the new DVD. The live footage on this DVD is raw and compiled by the fans. It's THEIR dvd and it's Raw, Unedited and LIVE. No overdubs unlike the other 2 DVD's. We make mistakes and you hear them.

You are obviously and ANTHRAX fan who loves that cheesy euro metal and bullet belts. Sorry I don't.

By the way- The reason this DVD is the TRUEST to what SOD was is because I did it as a member of SOD. Unlike the ones Scott did where he did them wishing he was in Pantera.

That's all- fuck off:wave:

efkarpos said:
sod changed everything in metal history you fucking retarted!!!!
you must wash you mouth when youre talking
about CROSSOVER bands.
-it is sod what do you expect?-
what the fuck is that?

My comment refers to the fact that S.O.D., and in particular Speak English Or Die album, aren't well known for the great production values.

Buzzard said:
You are a euro trash loser.

secondly.. I AM SOD- Scott Ian and Charlie Benante have the personality of wet socks and treat their fans like shit.

Thirdly..This DVD has nothing to do with the Second record. I'm not saying I don't like Bigger than the Devil but it doesn't have any relevence to the new DVD. The live footage on this DVD is raw and compiled by the fans. It's THEIR dvd and it's Raw, Unedited and LIVE. No overdubs unlike the other 2 DVD's. We make mistakes and you hear them.

You are obviously and ANTHRAX fan who loves that cheesy euro metal and bullet belts. Sorry I don't.

By the way- The reason this DVD is the TRUEST to what SOD was is because I did it as a member of SOD. Unlike the ones Scott did where he did them wishing he was in Pantera.

That's all- fuck off:wave:

Whinge whinge fucking whinge :yell:

Firstly, I'm English, if thats what counts as Euro trash
Secondly, I am an S.O.D. fan, and if i'm honest, I don't really give two shits who's a cunt and who's not
Thirdly, as it happens I don't really like Anthrax at all, and, unless you count bands like At The Gates, The Haunted, Carcass, Napalm Death and the other bands of European origin that I listen to as cheesy, I don't like cheesy euro metal, and i dont wear skin tight leather trousers with bullet belts or lycra.
I think it's fair to say you know nothing about me, so don't try and insult me

fuk you you unmetallbastard i know wat metall is and anthrax and sod r two oldshool pioneering bands tht kik ass let me geuess your another clone tht looks emo and follows the rest of the sheep with your shit taste in corparate mtv bands and whre and listen wat your mates do im a drummer in my band i eat and sleep metall wat do you know and im sure the rest of the fans would agree your a fuking wana b pussy so you can fuk of and die faker

go n fuk your self tou nkow shit i could name more bands than youve ever heard of and anyway if you like sod then why not anthrax seen as though it had scotty in them how can you slag them off ipacrit

Dear metallcarl,
Firstly, I'm not emo. Ask Russell, who is one of the editors on this site, he knows me. Also, I don't think they let emo kids post reviews on this site (Editors, correct me if i'm wrong)
Secondly, I'm a vocalist in a metal band, so I must therefore eat and sleep as much metal as you.
Thirdly, I never actually slagged off Anthrax, that was Billy Milano. I just said I didn't like them personally. I like SOD for the highly politically correct lyrics, and the fact the music, especially the vocal delivery, is that bit heavier than Anthrax, a fact the members of SOD themselves have agreed on in the past. Personally, I'm not really inclined to the Anthrax/Megadeth school of 80's thrash, I'm more of a Slayer man myself.
Finally, calm down. You might live longer.

Billenzimmer, I have a question for you.....

How the hell did you translate this...
metallcarl said:
go n fuk your self tou nkow shit i could name more bands than youve ever heard of and anyway if you like sod then why not anthrax seen as though it had scotty in them how can you slag them off ipacrit

Do you have some program on your computer that can decipher whatever this is??? I just know that I could read this all day and still not know what this guys talking about..

Billenzimmer said:
Dear metallcarl,
Firstly, I'm not emo. Ask Russell, who is one of the editors on this site, he knows me. Also, I don't think they let emo kids post reviews on this site (Editors, correct me if i'm wrong)
Secondly, I'm a vocalist in a metal band, so I must therefore eat and sleep as much metal as you.
Thirdly, I never actually slagged off Anthrax, that was Billy Milano. I just said I didn't like them personally. I like SOD for the highly politically correct lyrics, and the fact the music, especially the vocal delivery, is that bit heavier than Anthrax, a fact the members of SOD themselves have agreed on in the past. Personally, I'm not really inclined to the Anthrax/Megadeth school of 80's thrash, I'm more of a Slayer man myself.
Finally, calm down. You might live longer.

T_man357 said:
Billenzimmer, I have a question for you.....

How the hell did you translate this...

Do you have some program on your computer that can decipher whatever this is??? I just know that I could read this all day and still not know what this guys talking about..

I was drunk