Sacramento Gigantour review with Pictures

Thorngren

Project Genocide
Apr 2, 2005
The Napa Valley
www.livejournal.com
Oh man… was Gigantour great. Me, Mike n Russ left Napa at 11am and started the drive to Sacto… bad idea. Not only did we get lost, but I had forgotten to eat that day and by the time I was hungry I was in the venue and couldn’t afford to buy any food. The temperature that day was recorded at 105 degrees, and boy did it feel like it was. By the end of Nevermore’s set I was drenched in sweat and felt sick as a dog… but more on that later.

Anyway, we got there at about 2:50 (right before the show started) and man oh man was it hot. Bobaflex started up and they were really cool, full of energy. They had some crazy antics on stage, switched up members while playing and jacked off their guitars, haha. A really fun group to watch with some groovy jams, I’d definitely see them again. I heard some bad reviews of them from other shows, but I defiantly thought they were the best band on second stage (besides Symphony X).

Anyway, once Bobaflex was done I was really thirsty so I headed over to get some water, on my way I bumped into some of the guys from Bobaflex as they were going to their trailer and I chatted with em for a bit. Really cool guys and totally nice too. I see a good future for them in the rock biz if they keep it up. Anyway, I asked if they minded a photo so they got a guy passing by to take a photo with us all in it, pretty cool.
mebobaflex0ri.gif

Once I got back from my thirst quenching adventure I chilled with my pals until Dry Kill Logic started up… and I gotta say, they sucked hard. I heard one of their songs before and thought it was alright, but hearing more of their songs (and hearing them live) I’ve come to the conclusion that not only did I dislike them, but I can now respond when asked if I like that band with “I hate them!” because they were pretty damn shitty. I honestly think I’d prefer the band Earshot over these guys.

But wait…. Nevermore came up next! Oh man oh man! I rushed up and got all the way up front for these guys, I’m talking right up against the rail as close as you can get… but I did let one person in front of me because he wanted to get next to his girlfriend (I‘d be an ass not to move for him) but man what a show. Not only was I right up there for my favorite metal buddies Nevermore, but they pulled out a badass set.
nevermore29bf.gif

Nevermore opened up with the awesome Narcosynthesis, and once through, Dane called for a pit because he was gunna pull out a thrashing song fitted for Sacramento; This Sacrament!!! Can you say badass!!! Once we were thrashed to death from that they busted out 2 songs from their new album, Final Product and Born… both of which were not only badass, but possibly some of their best work. They ended the set with Enemies of Reality, and by the time they left the stage I think I broke my neck and lost my voice. Anyway, here’s another cool photo I got.
nevermore10yn.gif

Right after Nevermore was up though came on Symphony X… I mean, right after Nevermore I get Symphony X. it’s like they were trying to make my dream come true with an hour of metal bliss. Symphony X pulled out the same setlist they had done as all the other shows (Inferno, Evolution, Wicked, Sea of Lies and Sins and Shadows) and it was so awesome. Russell Allen has an epic voice like no other, and when the music stopped on Wicked and he just kept on signing it was incredible. Fantastic stuff, and Evolution had to be the coolest song played live that day. I was on the right side (stage left) third row of people and my ear about a foot from the speakers (I can no longer hear out of my right ear, lol) and was right near Mike LePond (but could never get a decent photo of him because the guy in front of me threw the horns every time I took a snapshot of him, lol) and man, LePond is very underrated, very talented man. Anyway, this is the best photo I managed to get of Symphony X (as bad as it is)
symphonyx15gf.gif

After that set I not only had no use of my vocal cords and could hardly stand, but I was drenched in sweat and beer people behind me had spilled. But after resting a bit I heard Nevermore were signing their new CD so I found the energy to hop on over and get in line. I met everyone and they were grade A nice guys, topnotch. They chatted with me for a few minutes, signed my copy of This Godless Endeavor and Dane ever posed in a photo with me
medane1pf.gif

Anyway… I went over to a wall n me n my pals just chilled there listening to Fear Factory while relaxing and recovering from all the thrashing we did. I went and drowned myself in the sink in the men’s room and drank about a gallon of water out of the faucet. It was screaming hot and I had no money for food or water after having got a Symphony X shirt so that was my only option (and man, that water was sure good too). When I got back I heard Symphony X was signing so I hopped in line. The Symphony X line was huge and I didn’t get much time to chat with them when I did meet em, but I did get a picture with em (all except their drummer Rullo who was busy) Here’s the pic
mesymphonyx0ha.gif

Once I got my pic with Symphony X n my copy of The Odyssey signed I went n head banged to the rest of Fear Factory (who seemed to play forever… they musta got a full hour). Once Fear Factory was done Life of Agony came up on second stage. They used to play that one LoA song at my old work (music store) and I hated it… I heard a song I didn’t like 16 times a day (once every half hour) for a full 2 months. So hearing that song just reminded me of anger… not to mention hearing the rest of their music made me want to kill my ears. Most defiantly the worst band at the show. In fact once they finished a song in the middle of their set it got really quiet so I yelled “more like Life of Suck!!!” and that got quite a few laughs from where I was standing.

Oh… I saw this guy while waiting in line to meet Symphony X who had the greatest shirt ever. I had to take a picture of it
riskshirt1kq.jpg

He later got in the line to meet Megadeth, but I didn’t seem him again to see what Mustaine’s reaction was. Funny shit though.

Dream Theater came up next, and they were great. I just recently got into them so I only really knew 7 of the songs they played, but the ones I didn’t were really cool too. I’m not too keen on the vocals, but their keyboardist was fantastic and the drummer was probably the best one I’ve ever seen, brilliant. They played for a little more than an hour n a half and played a good set, the italics are songs I knew (The Root of All Evil, A Fortune in Lies, Panic Attack, Just Let Me Breathe, Lie, Never Enough, Endless Sacrafice, Scene 6: Home, As I Am, Pull Me Under/Metropolis) unfortunately my Dream Theater photos (and my Megadeth for that matter) didn’t turn out because I was too far away for the disposable camera, but oh well… anyway, Dream Theater really impressed me and had a good time.

Next up were the big headliners, the main metal masters Megadeth! With a ripping set of new and old (4 System songs and a few oldies thrown in with the classics) and a cool light show thing going on. Dave fucked up the intro when they played Tornado of Souls in the middle of the set so they started over, that was pretty funny, Peace Sells and Sweating Bullets were awesomely fun sing-along songs, and The Scorpion had an evil groove that you just couldn’t help moving your head to. Hanger 18 is just head banging good with guitar solos like crazy and Kick the Chair was thrashtastic. I gotta say I was surprised to hear Wake up Dead and Set the World Afire too. Honorable mentions go towards Trust and Die Dead Enough. Megadeth’s full setlist in order is (Blackmail The Universe, Set The World Afire, Skin O' My Teeth, The Scorpion, Wake Up Dead, In My Darkest Hour, Die Dead Enough, She Wolf, Angry Again, Hangar 18, Trust, Sweating Bullets, Tornado Of Souls, Kick The Chair, Symphony Of Destruction, Peace Sells and Holy Wars)

Anyway, great show, amazing! Haven’t had a better time (this even beat Dio‘s show) and I was totally wiped out. On our way to the truck we asked this guy to take a group photo so here’s a photo of my pal Mike, Me and my buddy Russ.
group5ww.jpg

Anyway, Russ drove us home because I was super tired n not up for driving, so we got back to Napa and everything was fine (except the day had ended so soon it seemed, show was all over and I no longer had anything to look forward to) but what a great time.

Thanks!! We did the Irvine show and it was 'kin wicked!! Sounds like you had and easy time with the meets..same here! Next up
:hotjump: :hotjump: MAIDEN SLAYS DENVER :hotjump: :hotjump: