Sad News

No Michael Manring or Stu Hamm listed? I beat out those dudes? Surely you jest (although I'll take the great compliment)!!

Chris H.

True Michael Manring and Stu Hamm are monsters as
well, but my top-10 consists of bassist's who have influenced my playing and
made me want to practice more. All of them have given the motivation to keep learning ( although watching Victor Wooten made me cry and want to quit at one point).
Tank

P.S. Cant forget Steve Digorgio
( Sadus, Death , Control Denied)

WHAT?!! John Myung overrated?!!!! Dude where have been? Have u ever seen
his instructional video? The guys a monster! He is one of the most underrated
players right now. How many times have u read articles on the guy or seen
him on the cover of magazines? I' m an open minded person and respect
other people's opinion, but to say that he's overrated? I don't think so. And
besides, i respect a player who thinks about the music first than wanting to
wail away every chance he gets. And Sean Malone, he's great but he's
just another Jaco Pastorius clone. Steve DiGiorgio can run circles around that
guy. Once again i do respect other people's opinions.

Tank

Yea, Chris is the monster! John Myung, well from what I have heard (five DT CDs and a live show) I am a little skeptical of what has been recorded. John is Very Good but not god status – (god status – able to do the unexplained in technique or in feel in the context of the overall composition or performance on a constant basis). Any way, I like a bass player that can step-up like Chris from time to time and lay down some tasteful and distinctive chops, licks, taps and harmonies as if he were the second guitarist in the band. I could be wrong on John. Yet, I can say that over the years I have lost some interest in DT as the band seems to have become less cohesive and more individual in composition and in arrangements. Almost like soloing over each other or something. For me, PofO is like a great Jazz/Metal band - tight, cohesive and balanced – one sound. Fates Warning has this same feel too.
Otherwise Tank, your list first rate.

Chris, do we see a Chapman Stick or Warr guitar in your future??

http://www.stick.com/
http://www.warrguitars.com/

Oms

OMDAVE,
I see exactly what your saying and i respect your opinion. The
cool thing is that we both agree on PoO and i'm glad that u like my list. There's
alot more but these are the ones who inspire me to better myself as a player
and overall musician. I even started practicing with a metronome again( BAD TANK- never should stopped in the 1st place ). And Chris H., we only speak the
truth brother....we only speak the truth.

Tank.

OmDave said:
Chris, do we see a Chapman Stick or Warr guitar in your future??

http://www.stick.com/
http://www.warrguitars.com/

Oms
Hey Dave,

I've been trying to get Chris to get into using one of these, but the bastard is just too damn cheap!!! LMAO!!! :lol: Just kidding Chris... I really think one of these would add alot to the band's writing and sound.
Hopefully one of these days... right "DJ Funkmeister"? ;)

~D

OmDave said:
This is what the PofO family is all about! I wish I could be in Dallas! I can see Dave, DJ Funkmeister, Tank and myself discussing Bass, WARRs and DT over some cold biers.

A Toast to PofO, the fans and this thread!

*Dave* how are the new applicants doing? Has the admissions commitee made any desisions? Please tell the newbes there will not be any hazing on forum and that we as fans will be welcoming. Hee Hee I am ready to hit the newbies wilth 100 questians!

Lastly, I will be Dropping the "Oms" as my login.
Tell ya what... once I'm up in Dallas, you're more than welcome to hang out with us if you're ever in town. :)
As for the new applicants... well, I was going to make an announcement today about one of them... but when I tried to reach him last night to let him know the good news, he wasn't available... :lol: Sooooo... hopefully I only have to post-pone this one more day before I can make an official announcement. I think he should find out directly from us before he reads it on the net...LOL

;)
~D

This is what the PofO family is all about; I wish I could be in Dallas! I can see Dave, DJ Funkmeister, Tank and myself discussing Bass, WARRs and DT over some cold biers. :cool:

A Toast to PofO, the fans and this Forum!

*Dave & Chris* how are the new applicants doing? Has the admissions committee made any decisions? Please tell the newbes there will not be any hazing on forum and that we as fans will be very welcoming. Hee! Hee! I am ready to hit the newbes with 100 questions! :D

Lastly, I will be dropping the "Oms" in my login. :wave:

OmDave said:
This is what the PofO family is all about; I wish I could be in Dallas! I can see Dave, DJ Funkmeister, Tank and myself discussing Bass, WARRs and DT over some cold biers. :cool:

A Toast to PofO, the fans and this Forum!

*Dave & Chris* how are the new applicants doing? Has the admissions committee made any decisions? Please tell the newbes there will not be any hazing on forum and that we as fans will be very welcoming. Hee! Hee! I am ready to hit the newbes with 100 questions! :D

Lastly, I will be dropping the "Oms" in my login. :wave:
Looks like I answered you before you asked.... :lol:

;)
~D

man who said bbq? I love bbq of all kinds. I live in pork country, and make some mean pork bbq, but love some beef bbq as well. I, also, have been fine tuning my homemade bbq sauce recipe. I will bring the beer too. What kind? ha

Dave,

What do you think of the new Dream Theater album? Personally, I think it rocks!

Anyway, good luck with your new drummer!

And I must say that I am really looking forward to hearing the new vocalist!

In my opinion, again, I think it would be cool if you
found someone who could sing less in the stratospheres. ;)

Collapse Generation said:
Dave,

What do you think of the new Dream Theater album? Personally, I think it rocks!

Anyway, good luck with your new drummer!

And I must say that I am really looking forward to hearing the new vocalist!

In my opinion, again, I think it would be cool if you
found someone who could sing less in the stratospheres. ;)
I actually LOVE the new DT CD... Chris and I were talking about that the other day, and mentioned how good it was to see them return to a heavier vibe on this disc.
As for new singers... well we're still auditioning...and the range is a major factor in who we get. They need to be able to sing all of Chris' parts on the older material... but will have to use more of a mid-range when it comes to new stuff. Occaional highs are cool... but someone who'll be able to deliver a strong performance while keeping the melodies listenable and enjoyable is what we'll be looking for. ;)
Even if Chris were to ever come back... this would have to be a must!!!!

The days of 'constant' high range singing for Power of Omens is now a part of the past.

~D

Hmm, I have yet to hear the new DT CD; this is do to my skepticism of the band's recent history of poor lyrics and musical meanderings. Oddly, my fav. DT CD is When Dream And Day Unite and Images..

PofO Vocals? I with Dave, Rooms...has a very nice midrange that is rich and detailed with feeling and emotion. Chris S. was great on this recording! Yet, falsettos have a place when carefully chosen in the context of the composition.
Emotion and feel is the future for PofO!!

Dave & Chris, who will be doing the lyrical writing? The new vocalist?

Cheers,
Dave