Saddest Song

KATATONIA
Quiet world........ ("need more methods to end each day,to be happy by living this way....." )
Day.....
Gateways of Bereavment....

other bands
too many to mention...i'll jsut pick up a couple:
My dying bride-for my fallen angel
Monumentum-La Noia
Anathema-the beloved
Dark tranquillity-auctioned
Savatage-when the crowds are gone
Skyclad-Constance eternal (this is so magically overwhelming)
At the gates-The flames of the end
Opeth-to bid you farewell
Opeth-Harvest

..............zzzzzzzzzzzzz...............Katatonia`s sadest song is or maybe "deadhouse" and "Teargas"....
other songs..mmm let me think....
My Dying Bride-For My Fallen Angel
The Gathering-In Motion
oooooooooooooooooooooo i can`t thinkkkkkkk..tooo many

I remember reading an interview with Jonas where he says that he can't stand happy music and that he feels better when listening to gloomy, melancholic music. I feel exactly the same way. I get extremely depressed when I hear that stupid disco/fairground/radio music that's playing everywhere. People say that it makes you happy but it certainly doesn't work for me.

Check out the song "Psychopomp" by The Tea Party. Beautiful!!! :cry:

To hell with Right Said Fred, Britney Spears, Blink 182 and all the other bastards!!! :devil:

hmn, one of the most depressing songs ever is The Gathering - Bad Movie Scene, the lyrics are really fucked up. ''why did i ever think, life was about to go right...''

edit: also Smashing Pumpkins - In The Arms Of Sleep, This Time, Drown, Soma, Perfect, Daphne Decends.

Jeff Buckley - Mojo Pin, So Real

Radiohead: fake plastic trees, exit music, street spirit, planet telex - well i think most radiohead songs are pretty sad/depressing.

hmn, as for Katatonia:

Day, Deadhouse, Endtime, Future Of Speach, Black session

KATATONIA-" Sulfur"; " I transpire"; " The future of speech"; "Black session"; " Right into the bliss"
MY DYING BRIDE-" A sea to suffer in"; " For my fallen angel"; "A cruel taste of winter"; "The stance of evander sinque"
EMPYRIUM-" Mourners"; " Ode to melancholy"
DREADFUL SHADOWS-" Ties of time"; " Craving"; " Beyond the maze"; " Intrasigense"; " The vortex"; " Exile"
IN THE WOODS-" Epitath"; "Vanish in the absense of virtue"; "Kairos!"; "Empty room"
LACRIMAS PROFUNDERE-" A winter's poem"; "Morning...grey"

Dream Theater:
Space-Dye Vest
The Spirit Carries On
Through My Words
Through Her Eyes

Savatage:
When the Crowds are Gone
Sleep
All That I Bleed
If I Go Away
Anymore
This Isn't What We Meant
Not What You See
Chance
Alone You Breathe

Dio:
Don't Talk to Strangers

Pantera:
Cemetary Gates

Queen:
Who Wants to Live Forever

Smashing Pumpkins:
Zero
Stand Inside Your Love

Iron Maiden:
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Final Fantasy VII:
Aeris' Theme
Lifestream

Gregorian:
Scarborough Fair
Brother in Arms

There are many more...

For me there is a between saddest and depressive in some songs there is emotion it can be sadness but depression is not an emotion (for me) it is diffrent katatonia is depressive but in their songs there are not much sadness

Depressive songs can be Quiet World and Day
but Saddest songs can be Gateways of breavement (for me the only song of katatonia includes Sadness)

well the saddest song by Katatonia for me is probably deadhouse,followed by tonight's music and quiet world.
Other songs may be

Nick Drake-nearly every song
Bert Jansch-Needle of Death
Graham Coxon-A day is far too long
Bonfires
A place for grief
Too uptight
Borknagar-Om hundrede aar er alting glemt
Empyrium-some songs
Deus-Right as rain
Magdalena
Damien Jurado-Tonight i will retire
Ohio
My dying bride-For my fallen angel(probably one of the saddest and most beautiful songs ever written)
Radiohead-Bullet proof...i wish i was
Knives out
Motion picture soundtrack
R.E.M.-Country Feedback

I probably forgot some.
But these are some songs that really move me.

strangely i prefer music dealing with despair, At The Gates summons that excellently with Suicide Nation or an other music from Slaughter of the Soul,
Anathema - Dying Wish, Crestafallen
Katatonia - Gateways of Bereavement, I Am Nothing
Death - Voice of the Soul
Dark Tranquility - Hedon, Mind's I
My Dying Bride - For My Fallen Angel
METALLICA - FADE TO BLACK (the one that guided me to Doom Metal
Britney Spears - ALL

katatonia - gone
katatonia - quiet world
katatonia - a darkness coming
katatonia - gateways of bereavement
anathema - a dying wish
forest of shadows - of sorrow blue
my dying bride - for my fallen angel
my dying bride - two winters only

Katatonia
Strained - Oh How I Enjoy The Light - Had To (Leave) - Deadhouse - Sweet Nurse

Metallica
To Live Is To Die

Opeth
Harvest - end of Lepper Affinity and Dirge For November - To Bid You Farewell

My Dying Bride
The Dreadfull Hours - A Cruel Taste Of Winter

Nevermore
Believe In Nothing - We Disintegrate - Forever - The Heart Collector - Insignificant? - Dreaming Neon Black - Cenotaph - The Hurting Words

Arch Enemy
Burning Bridges

Fear Factory
Timelessness - (Memory Imprints) Never End

Tool
Message To Harry Manback

Anything off of Lou Reed's '79 album "Berlin" has to be some of the most depressing music ever. Check out "The Bed", "Sad Song", "Caroline Says II"...

I always thought the Who's "Quadrophenia" was one of the most unforgiving albums I ever heard... even though the music may be deceptivley 'happy' at some points the shit that the main character goes through is unbelievable. It's the ultimate adolescent record, never heard anything more downing than that.

And for even more... it's time for underground doom. Dusk, Funeral, Evoken, Dolorain, Skepticism, Khanate...

My dying bride-for my fallen angel

Right on.

As for Katatonia, I must say that "Tonight´s Music" is a vey strong song. But the song that makes me queasy inside and instantly depressed and melancholic is "Day".

hmmm.... so many to name!

Naturally, I pick Endtime. Hell, I simply love that song and when I die (hopefully, I'll be an old fart when I die), Endtime MUST be played at my funeral along with other songs that glorify death.

Here are some other sad songs from Katatonia that stuck out in my opinion:

Inside the Fall
Had To (Leave)
No Good Can Come of This
Deadhouse
Brave (I love how the guitars have such a melancholic sound...very moving)
Tonight's Music
Gateways of Bereavement
Don't Tell A Soul (Katatonia seems to have a knack for picking killer songs as closing tracks on each album)

I really don't think of Day as a sad song. I see it as a death metal ballod...if such an oxymoron exists. :lol: