Saffire pro pre and AD vs ISA pre and AD

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
A lot of people use Focusrite's Saffire or Scarlett interfaces so here is a test with Saffire (which is the same as Scarlett) pro 24 mic pre and AD converter versus Focusrite ISA mic pre and AD converter.
The ISA is an 828 but the mic pre and AD are the same as the ISA one so this test should let people know if it's worth getting an ISA one with AD card to SP/Dif into your Scarlett or Saffire.

Test uses Reamp Zone's excellent Slipknot cover.
Download the full multi files for this here:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/practice-room/981853-slipknot-before-i-forget-di.html

Then download the re-amped guitar tracks here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1EPqLUI5jInLV8xbFB2aUdTSlE/view?usp=sharing

Chain is Apogee Ensemble TB re-amp output > TS808 > Triple Rectifier > Rectifier cab > 57 > Mic pre.
I re-amped guitar DIs left 1 and right 2 to get both both guitar parts without needed to re-amp the quad tracks.
Absolutely no post processing. ISA was set to medium impedance setting.
Looking forward to hearing opinions on this.

i lowerd the isa-tracks by -0.4dB so they are more close in loudness (by ear)
the isa-tracks are more saturated and there is more lowend. something is happening in the upper midrange that i really like.
the saffire-tracks sound a little cutted in the lowend. sounds more flat and bit boring in comparison to the isa.

would be intressing to know if the ISA adds those things to the sound or if the saffire removes it...

thanks!

i lowerd the isa-tracks by -0.4dB so they are more close in loudness (by ear)
the isa-tracks are more saturated and there is more lowend. something is happening in the upper midrange that i really like.
the saffire-tracks sound a little cutted in the lowend. sounds more flat and bit boring in comparison to the isa.

would be intressing to know if the ISA adds those things to the sound or if the saffire removes it...

thanks!

Transformer saturation I would say.
ISA is much more lively and dynamic to my ears.

Hey, mickrich. I sent you a PM shortly after you got your Ensemble asking how the ISA A/D conversion holds up to that of the Apogee, but it must have bounced or something. Can you use both converters on the same instrument in the same track without noticeable change in sound (for example, using both the Apogee and the 828 (with its own conversion) while mic'ing up a drum kit)? Any chance you can compare the two for us? TIA

Hey, mickrich. I sent you a PM shortly after you got your Ensemble asking how the ISA A/D conversion holds up to that of the Apogee, but it must have bounced or something. Can you use both converters on the same instrument in the same track without noticeable change in sound (for example, using both the Apogee and the 828 (with its own conversion) while mic'ing up a drum kit)? Any chance you can compare the two for us? TIA

Hi,
Never got the PM.
The second gen ADC card for the ISA828 is superb.
I can choose whatever mic pre I want to use and not worry about converters.
The 828 often beats my API or Universal audio pres which are converted through the Apogee.
I can't run an A/B test because I have everything patched as it is used.
Analog out from the 828 is on DSub and I dont have it patched.

Thanks, mickrich; I appreciate the help. I'm looking at upgrading converters and currently have an ISA428 with the second generation 828 A/D card. Hearing that I'll be able to use the ISA as an additional 8 inputs opens up my options for converters quite a bit.