Saga recommendations?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I know Saga is a favorite of Enchant bandmembers and fans alike.

I recently heard Saga for the first time... "On The Loose"... I love the powerful vocals, crunchy riffing by Ian Chricton(sp?) and melodic keyboards. Where should I start exploring this Canadian act's vast catalogue?

ProgMetalFan said:
I know Saga is a favorite of Enchant bandmembers and fans alike.

I recently heard Saga for the first time... "On The Loose"... I love the powerful vocals, crunchy riffing by Ian Chricton(sp?) and melodic keyboards. Where should I start exploring this Canadian act's vast catalogue?

Whew, where to start... ; )

Silent Knight is a must.. Back in the day, when MTV actually played video's 'Don't be late' was (or seemed to be) always on.. This is what hooked me personally, and I've been a fan ever since.!

Worlds Apart is required listening as well.. Same situation as above, with 'On the loose' being in heavy rotation.

Heads or Tales is another good one.. 'Catwalk' was the 'hit' off that one...

Defining Moments is kind of a little of everything.. It's a compilation cd

Generation 13 is good as far as concept albums go.. It's a bit odd, and not for everyone, but worth a listen methinks...

Earlier stuff is definately better than the newer stuff.. But this is just my opinion, your mileage may vary...

Hope this helps...

-Keith

Silent Knight -1980-
Worlds Apart -1981-
Heads Or Tales -1983-
Behaviour -1985-

I think this is their strongest period, allthough I must say I haven't checked some of the newer albums. I need to get "Security Of Illusion" and "House Of Cards" soon.

It's official... "Worlds Apart" is an incredible album! I just love the interesting mix of prog, hard rock and early 80's new wave. The synthesizers and electronic percussion are really interesting. Very unique vocals as well.

ProgMetalFan said:
It's official... "Worlds Apart" is an incredible album! I just love the interesting mix of prog, hard rock and early 80's new wave. The synthesizers and electronic percussion are really interesting. Very unique vocals as well.
I'm glad you like World's Apart, the band played it, in it's entirety on their European Tour, last year. That tour was to promote the 'Network' album, and to show how much they wanted to push that album, they play 6 songs from it!
As a long-term Saga fan, I would agree with all of the recommendations, but I would also add 'Network' to that list. Many fans consider their most recent release, to be amongst the best. For me, it's in the top 3 (with World's Apart and Heads Or Tales) :headbang: