Salvaging crap tone: a challenge for you

im usually up for shit like this, but this is too bad to even consider working with man :s

Here's a little story of a man who years ago started a message board called Ultimate Metal where a sub forum of a sub forum of a sub forum could attract as many as people as possible who like to start threads about their audio inadequacies if only to exploit the opportunity to exercise the use of the word 'n00b' a LOT.

It's not that good of a story, really. But a HELL of a run on sentence.

if it was a fairly direct sounding tone, like if it didnt sound like it was being played in another room i could most likely coax something decent out of it, but it isnt :\
sorry duder

Ok, so what would you suggest that I do when they record tomorrow to get the best possible sound (that's not saying much)?
They are very anal about equipment, but would it just be a matter of having the mic closer? The amp louder?

I might try to post something else tomorrow which sounds more direct.

got a re-amp box? splitter box?

if you have a splitter box, then split the signal and send it to their amp, mic it up as normal, blah blah, and send the DI signal to the desk/interface/whatever.
tell them you're taking DI's for the security of re-amping.
then use an amp sim or something that sounds good or whatever and don't tell them.
get them to leave their amp there while you "re-amp" (wink wink nudge nudge" then tell them you used it

To me it's a player's fault...the sound probably needs something else, like reamping etc, but what I've heard there was completely sloppy, untight...

sure it was sloppy, but i wouldnt want to mix a track with that tone even if it was steve vai playing.

sure it was sloppy, but i wouldnt want to mix a track with that tone even if it was steve vai playing.
Yes, but do you think reamping would help with that playing?
About at half of the clip, the sound starts to sound something better, but the performance is even worse.

I don't think, judging by this clip, reamping would help that much.
It would sound better, but the OP would be editing DI tracks as much as you can imagine, to fix even dynamics and timing.

How do bang head on wall and invoke coma, to avoid shitty guitar tone? ¯(º_o)/¯

I just wanted to answer something like "this is how do bang head on wall and
invoke coma, to avoid shitty guitar tone" When I wondered "How do draw
¯\(º_o)/¯ Sideways?" Like, (|°) ? :loco:

How do bang head on wall and invoke coma, to avoid shitty guitar tone? ¯(º_o)/¯

I just wanted to answer something like "this is how do bang head on wall and
invoke coma, to avoid shitty guitar tone" When I wondered "How do draw
¯(º_o)/¯ Sideways?" Like, (|°) ? :loco:

I know how
sidewaysdude.jpg

do I win or what?

p.s. the wav won't load for me, don't know why, can't hear it but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's crap lol

yep.
i was expecting some thin, fizzy, weird sounding tone that would need epic eq'ing
not this >_>