Same song, 2 productions: Me Vs Rise Records! Which one you like more? :)

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hey guys,

I got something pretty interesting for you today! ;D Some friends of mine got theyr album produced by a guy from the US that produces many bands for rise records, but I don't want to tell his name here.
Before they flew to the US they let me produce a demo song for them. So now I have two versions of this song. Mine, and the US one! ;)
Would love to hear some opinions. Which one you like more and whats the reason for your decision? I have to say that I'm not satisfied with my version anymore, cause it's like 1,5 years old, though it was the best I was able to do at this time. And I don't really like the US version as well! ;D

Won't tell you which version is mine, but I guess you will hear it pretty fast! ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10409472/Song Production Version 1.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10409472/Song Production Version 2.mp3

Thanks for listening! :)

As has been said, version 2 has WAY too much high-end exciting going on, and the guitars sound mono. Drums are way too compressed and pumpy. Version 1's guitars sound way too scooped, and sound twangy and boxy.

201 sounds way better than 201. both are fatiguing but 201 sounds 10x more epic and entertaining..... 202 sounds fucking strange..... very narrow stereo image...

201 also has a much more flowing arrangement....

I'm glad that we are in the same mind! :)

201 is my version. 202 is the one from the US studio. I'm glad most of you like my version more, but I also know what I've done wrong back then and whats the reason for the guitars to sound kinda scooped. I really feel that the rise version has way too much highs and is compressed to hell and back. If you listen to the whole album of the band your ears get screwed after 3 songs. I am also really disappointed about the drumsound he created. The drummer of this band is one of the best I personally know, but caused by this digital sound the rise guy used, it just sounds programmed and like nothing special.

201 sounds way better than 201. both are fatiguing but 201 sounds 10x more epic and entertaining..... 202 sounds fucking strange..... very narrow stereo image...

201 also has a much more flowing arrangement....

Glad that you say that! Totally what I am thinking! :)

Something about that label. Do they sign any bands that don't sound like complete regurgitative crap?

Sorry, i guess you got me wrong. I never said that they got signed. Its just that the guy who produced them is normally recording bands for rise.

Thanks for listening!

Haha, on bith versions I felt like being sucked into the sound source, its especially odd when wearing headphones, you guys should try it, there is like a massive frequency hole in the low mids.

I don't like both versions to be honest, but your's is far superior.
The second one sucks, really powerless and flat, pretty crap.

/ Did that producer try to shit on them/rip them in any way ? The stereo image makes me suspicious, I mean, who'd be so retarded ?
// Or he was like "Yeah, for this song I'm gonna use only 50% of the god given space for music altough its full of verby vocals". Clever.

I'm super interesting in who did this, the top Rise guys I know are Sturgis and Crummet, and neither of them ever put out garbage like number 2...

It was none of the top guys. Thats what I can say. Sorry, I don't want to give more info on that, cause this thread would be on google pretty fast! ;)
Im just glad, you share the same opinion as I do. And yeah, my mix wasn't that good too! The main mistake I've done was using a stereo widening tool on the guitar bus. I hate me for having done this in this mix! ;D
But as you noticed, his version is preeetty narrow! That made me asking the band if they doubled the guitars, and I was shocked: they did not! The producer said, they won't need it. Can't believe that!!

All I'm thinking about this is, why is rise working with someone like that, while there are sooo many guys who can do better?! The band itself and a lot of listeners are satisfied with the mixing btw. And I won't say anything against it to them, cause they would be like "yeah, he did the demo and not the album.. hes kinda jealous!".

omfg, the snare in the rise version. WTF? sounds like something sampled of an old 808, really weird.

+1, exactly what I was going to say. Sounds like a hip hop snare :zzz:

202 sounds horrible to my ears, your mix is WAY better. Can't believe 202 is a "professional" recording, I definitely wouldn't have paid money for it.