Sample 5150/6505 Clean channel

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I've been asked in another forum to record a short sample of the clean channel of the 6505 cause people wanted to know if it's good enough for the occasional live use.
of course I wouldn't be using in a recording (...just because there are better options), but I definitely think it's good enough for live...not for a Jazz player, but it should be sufficient for the occasional clean verse in a metal band.

the 5150/6505 has a shared EQ and the distorted sound is more important of course, that's why I didn't touch the settings on the amp,...these are the settings I use for distorted tones.
I also didn't fanny about with the mic (just threw it in front of the cab and left it there untouched), nor did I do ANY post processing.

I hope this is gonna get rid of the rumor "the 6505 doesn't have a clean channel" now.

I was too lazy to get my strat, so this was recorded with the Jackson SL-1....

ignore the sloppy and very random playing, I just hit some chords...it's NOT about the playing!! :9

6505 Clean

no studio magic at all, this is how the 6505 sounds clean without anything but the guitar and amp.

BUT: my 6505 is bias modded, that helps a bit of course.

Sounds good to me Lasse. I would have raised the presence a bit. Also, if you throw a 12AT7 in the clean preamp slot, you can get awesome cleans with it.

Sounds good to me Lasse. I would have raised the presence a bit. Also, if you throw a 12AT7 in the clean preamp slot, you can get awesome cleans with it.

yeah, but I don't really care cause I've got enough better amps for clean, lpus I just wanted to show that the amp with the regular settings sounds alright clean...but you're right of course, a 12at7 would make it better

Nice clip,it can be useful. Can you share the settings? I haven't find a useful clean tone through my 6505,either using my Explorer or my Carvin.. What percentage of the sound does the bias mod change? What cab did you use? Did you use the standard mic and position? What neck pickup do you have in the Jackson?

best clean tones i ever got out of my mkII had batshit insane settings
like bass 10 mids 0 and i cant remember what treble was. either 0 or 10.

Of course 5150/6505 can have a decent clean but nothing special or amazing imo (I love Mesa Mark II/Quad, CAE 3+ or MP1/Roland JC clean for exemple). But thank to take the time for this;)

Great tone! I recently have been battling with this also, one trick I find helps for my guitars anyway is to turn the mids to 0. Not normally something I'm into, but it helps the cleans out for me on my 5150 II at least. Really only a concern for me live, since I am starting Backmask up again after a 2 year hiatus.

The only asterisk I would add is that for live use you need to see how it does when volume matched with the lead channel at normal operating level. If you like your level pretty hot then the channel will start to break up in a harsh way.