Satori will get a kick out of this

Originally posted by Evisceratrix

oh heres my picture for you
;) <------click it
here im showing the best methods for doing self breast examinations. haha!
:lol:
:)

Goddammit (or Miss Kitty dammit: whichever you chose to believe) I just about wore out the clicker on me mouse before I read on and discovered that you'd deleted the link. Temptress.

Originally posted by Satori

All possible choices do not need to occur, of course.

I said this because of:

I don't think a choice is made over another, all choices which can occur do eventually occur in a pretty much infinite combination.

It was with respect to the 'do eventually occur' clause.

To see randomness in action, roll a dice.

Satori! I am insulted. :)
Systemic. It is a random event in our eyes, but the die behaves in a manner that is *quite reliably* described by physical laws. This is obviously more relevant in relation to the mutations...

As far as the rest of it goes:

What you are describing is two entities that are connected without feedback. I think I said the mutation is 'pitted' against the environment. Whatever spawns mutations does so blindly without feedback. There cannot be any 'test' of suitability (I think you only said this for the purposes of explanation anyway) The two entities operate independently from one another. But nothing can exist independently and without it's environment anyway. When you consider trying to roll a die without environmental physical laws, this is quite hard...

This is quite different to what I was proposing:
The mutation process and the environment are connected differently in that negative feedback is also possible. The choice of mutation is not random, the combined system of the evolutionary mechanism and the environment operate to achieve causal 'correction' (no pre-testing). This is just a sub-system though, there is massive interaction between other systems (such as provision of physical energy through eating) so it is possible for extinction. The collapse of a vital physical system will spell doom for the dependent evolutinary system which ceases to operate also. The animal dies.

It is basically a cybernetic style of thought.
I find it easier to swallow and way more complete than an explanation that stops at randomness.

How can everyone make something so complicated of something so simple...gets me. Its so simple to see it that i do not overly concern myself indulging in a false supposed insight to ilustrate points. Making something complicated does not makes you smarter. There is much more insight if that is what you are looking for in understanding something deeper, like the instinct that pushes man into an endless search for knowledge since the dawn of time. But well if you choose to bite deep into the darkness and keep this up.

And for the one who told me to retreat to the inflames forum...i am sorry but i think my previous statements ilustrate why is so frustrating for one such as i watching this endless pointless discussion, not only here but everyone i turn my eyes to. Im tired of people ignoring such obious things like the obious mockeries i make of religion systems. Spirituality is something to be experienced and trying to understand it should be an obsolete concept if millions of years of evolution have at all afected the human mind. Look back at the first religions, they are started to justify and try to control primal needs, spirituality is but a means to justify it in the years that came after, instead of overtrow it as an obsolete concept. My philosophies have changed, but one think i have come to realize is that the endless look for knowledge consumes one's life and if truly objetive it destroys any hope happyness that can be experienced. Looking into the eyes of nothingness and be aware of it at all times is not something a human its prepared to do. Perhaps a more evolutioned person that does not have the instinct of self conservation could, i cannot. Looking into spirituality in an objetive way will only lead to the belief that is nothing but a meaningless simple mental process that we create. To this day no spiritual fenomena has been explained to me to a full satisfaction, no experience has changed my behavior. Yet this is a torture when you cannot get images and sentiments out of your head. Having the constant thought that you are a stupid patetic animal that has no control over the images and things his brain produces makes me feel angry and depressed. When one realizes what one is empty inside, that hope means nothing, that love means nothing, that hate means nothing, that every single aspect of human life that has some short of mean its totally meaningless, one its overwhelmed. And i doubt i could find the day when i can stand and accept this truths about life and what is not, so i choose to find something to distract myself of such thoughts, i succed to a degree...but not that good. What could happen if i would choose to jump in the pits of hell? one wonders.

This other statement its meant to explain why i do not get involve in this conversations, for one i do not think anyone at all here would understand what i just said., also i do not think its relevant to respect someone who cannot understand anger and mockery. But so be it an In depth response has been stated.

OK, as I have been unable to get online for the past few days I am unaware as to how much this has got to do with the recent evolution (sic) of this thread as I have not read all the posts, so if this goes by as outdated, feel free to skip.

I seem to have failed to make my point, obviously. I hope you have read my post in the "Are Opeth religious?" thread; that will clear my ideology up a bit if that interests you in the least.

In a conversation regarding the physical/observable origins of life, morale IS insignificant.

I am not going to say that I was even trying to offer a moralistic view regarding hard science and our physical origin; rather I was trying to make a point why we should perhaps not use scientific methods in examining spirituality or spiritual ideologies in examining physics - in other words, to distinguish them from each other and to point out their own areas of expertise. I agree that it is foolish to deny evolution only for the sake of a book, e.g. the Bible, and to explore our physical existence only within a religion's borders, but simultaneously it is completely absurd to neglect the importance of religion because of its lack of scientifical value and what people have done with using it for their own ends. Morale has significance in this discussion as religion has been drawn in as well, and like we know, that is what religion is about.

Morale has got nothing to do with the physical/observable origins of life. Therefore neither does religion. You, however, adhere to the same idea as your christian counterparts do: by taking their taught concepts of 'god' and 'religion' for granted and not looking beyond that. Dogmatic religious people neglect the worth of science as a way to understand our existence; dogmatic scientists neglect the worth of religion as a means to understand another level of our existence. Anyone can give anything a morally questionable value, and so has unfortunately happened with many forms of human developement, be it science or religion. This, however, does and should not make the philosophies within these forms of exploration questionable! The primary, original idea of religion is not a medium of control; but the values of the people who use it as a means of control should be opposed and questioned. This is not limited to religion. Should we scream for the destruction of the media because it attempts to indoctrinate us continuously? The inherent value of the media is to give out information and news, but it is used otherwise. Should we go into anarchy because our leaders control us with law? The basic meaning of politics is to take care of public affairs, but it used by egocentric politicians to satiate their will to power. Should we retaliate against science because researchers have developed devices for mass destruction? The idea of science is to learn and understand, even if some use it to fulfill a will to power. This distorts people's views on a given subject, but it should not distract anyone from the origin.

What the hell are you talking about? Miniscule particles constituting the spiritual concept of morale? We are talking about hard science here, not psychology, you have obviously confused the 2 beyond all recognition.

Can you deny that physicists may not have studied ethical philosophy and thus are not aware of the miniscule particles constituting morale? (Some may have, but most probably have not.) That leaves them without the knowledge of what it is beyond our primality, in the world of ethical concepts, theories and development. Morale is not black and white, it is not about only the ultimate right or wrong. The saying 'one should stick to one's own' should sum this up nicely. Equally, a philosopher with deeper insight into only distinctly ethical issues should not consider oneself to be able to examine the scientific realm and have valid opinions about a thing one may not actually have a clue about. (Furthermore, I would personally like to know what is so psychological in this philosophical idea of morale I mentioned. Sorry for using the word 'spiritual', maybe I should have said 'philosophical'.)

Bullshit. I don't recall anyone disputing that Jesus existed, but, what does this have to do with this discussion? Nothing.

Is it bullshit that the existence of Jesus negates your assertion of christianity being based on mere myth? That is just downright blind. Christianity is based on the teachings of a wise man. This man just happened to live two millennia ago as a jew and have individual thoughts regarding the hypocritical way the priests lived and preached, as well as their religion's very core - the ideology, their god. Perhaps what he has taught is not to be interpreted the way it dominantly is, and if one cannot see his teachings as metaphors and interpret them realistically, then one is just as dogmatic and fundamentalistic as the religious people are in your opinion.

OK, to put it in a nutshell, I agree with you on much you have said regarding religion: what it has been used for, what it means for most people and so on. Its idea just has different variable values: there has to be a distinction between religion as an institution and religion as a system of understanding the world within and without our comprehensible realm of existence. Institutionalised, it may seem horrible, and in particular (familiar to us) cases, it holds awful things within: exploit, control, blindness, abuse, crusades. Religions as philosophical means of understanding the world are a different story.

It is often said that "if a man does not spoil his name, it will not spoil him." This happens often when religion institutionalizes. I find good things in many religions, but still I keep away from them because of what they have become outside their initially primary objectives. (I personally think 'religiously', pondering on spiritual matters in stead of thinking of physics, but I am not part of any religion except through what influence christianity has had on me through its status in our culture.) But if a religion is murderous and blood-thirsty in its teachings, it makes one question whether this particular religion is good at all. No, it clearly is not. But does this spoil ALL of religion? Granted, we have twisted, harmful and completely senseless forms of religion, but this is a problem that should, and hopefully will be solved, and certainly does not form the whole idea of religion.

Referring to the aforementioned, it seems odd how people here are fixated on christianity and its subsequent forms. Of course it is the most influential religion in the cultural area most of us are in (the western civilization), but why on earth should it be the one and only form of religion? As an example, the Wiccan system is not born of will to power. It still is a religion, none can deny that. And Satori, just to let you know, christianity was not born for domination, but as a counteraction to the religious climate of that time. Anyone who has read religious history should know that.

Sorry, running out of time now, but I hope to have cleared things up a bit. Like I said, if you want to know more of what I think about the matter, go to the "Are Opeth religious?" thread.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
How can everyone make something so complicated of something so simple...gets me. Its so simple to see it that i do not overly concern myself indulging in a false supposed insight to ilustrate points.... etc

Misanthrope,

I prefer the tone you have going in this post :)

I understand what you are saying completely and now what you have been trying to say makes a lot more sense to me.

If you happened to read the last response I made in my conversation with Satori, you may put me in the category of a hard-line materialistic, arrogant Scientist, trying to explain everything to satisfy some kind of 'will to power'.

Actually, it is more the process of such 'mental' thought that I am seeking, the answers are less than relevant (to say they are irrelevant is pompous and I suspect, against my instincts). The great thing is and like you have been saying all along, (sometimes in a nasty tone :) ) is that I will never actually know. This provides a perfect safety net for my mental health I have no doubts about it! So no matter how much shite I spin all day long, (because I happen to enjoy spinning shite) I know at the end of the day that I am still human and I will not know. I also agree that the fun of spiritually being human is lost with an excessive leaning towards this lifestyle.

Despite this, I am equally wary of allowing myself to descend into excessive compensation for my lack of 'real' knowledge by constant pursuit of the supernatural. This is just as bad for the quality of my spirituality as the constant pursuit of materialistic facts. I am sure that we all have great capacity for mental exploration and I think that this very great aspect of being human is denied in favor of the strange assertion to limited planes of thought i.e. just the same as above => seeking hard answers! This is not the only way to garner humble respect either...which is quite a common justification I have noticed.

So basically I love my humanity and I am not completely going to try and rule it from either end of the 'spectrum'. I enjoy the constant mental process loosely aimed at an eternal 'quiescence', that will never actually be realised. The experiences of love, fear, joy, contentment,... are not lost in my spirituality.

Originally posted by godisanathiest

:lol: What about

"I have never read Harry Potter. I won't let my daughter read those books because I feel that it would open the door to the occult in her life that doesn't need to be opened"

My daughters school made it required that all teachers take their class to see that movie. Even though most of the teachers didn't think it right because of the religious tones of the film.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
How can everyone make something so complicated of something so simple...gets me. Its so simple to see it that i do not overly concern myself indulging in a false supposed insight to ilustrate points. Making something complicated does not makes you smarter. There is much more insight if that is what you are looking for in understanding something deeper, like the instinct that pushes man into an endless search for knowledge since the dawn of time. But well if you choose to bite deep into the darkness and keep this up.

I have to say how much I agree with this and wonder why myself, why the hell do people insist on making reality so fucking complicated? All these concepts, rules, thoughts about thoughts which only lead further from understanding by creating more questions and making us more self-conscious, does any of this truly matter?? The point of life should be living first and foremost.

This is my contention: "thought" impedes "understanding".

If you want to see reality for what it is, just look out the window, there it is.

This other statement its meant to explain why i do not get involve in this conversations, for one i do not think anyone at all here would understand what i just said.

Not only do I understand what you just said, but I could explain it back to you in a very crystal clear way.

I think you are a little pessimistic in assuming that no one here would get what you are talking about. If you are describing a way of thinking/being that I am sure you are, there are many people like you, and I am one of them.

Satori

Originally posted by Tribal
I tend to disagree since I was involved in the occult for 5 yrs.

The reason most people find the Harry Potter = occult thing so ridiculous is because most people think the idea of "occult" is itself ridiculous and nothing to be concerned about.

The power of "occult" exists in the minds of the participants. Voodoo religion is very occultish and is regarded to work purely on a system of "belief" in whatever crap they are taught. We think this simply because a person has to actually believe in voodoo and be aware that they are "cursed" in order for it to work on them. For example, a voodoo practioner could put a spell on one of us here and it would be funny to us, but if he did it to another voodooist then that person would flip out and most likely personify the "curse" in themselves. It's just a head game, but head games seem real to those trapped by them.

The whole occult thing is just something from man's history that is lingering even though it is outdated now. People in the past were much more whacky in every way (generally) than people today, so it's no wonder they came up with all this stuff to amuse themselves and to give themselves a place in the cosmos (like religion). Some ancient people built pyramids, some created monoliths, some created stone henge, some created religions, some created magic. Humans have to amuse themselves somehow I suppose.

Humans are so silly, even now. It's funny and interesting, but it's also kind of sad - this occult nonsense is really something the civilized/industrialized world should have moved beyond by now. While I admit I take great amusement in the anti-Harry Potter idiots, it makes me kinda depressed that people can be quite that philosophically whacked. But then, they are just primates so perhaps I'm simply expecting too much from others. Just as children are afraid of the dark, people have irrational fears pertaining to occults/religious ideas which are unsubstantiated and unjustified, but like children, they lack the rationale to understand the fact that the true source of their fear is themselves. For this reason, they have my sympathy and my offering of help.

Satori

Originally posted by Satori
The power of "occult" exists in the minds of the participants. Voodoo religion is very occultish and is regarded to work purely on a system of "belief" in whatever crap they are taught. We think this simply because a person has to actually believe in voodoo and be aware that they are "cursed" in order for it to work on them. For example, a voodoo practioner could put a spell on one of us here and it would be funny to us, but if he did it to another voodooist then that person would flip out and most likely personify the "curse" in themselves. It's just a head game, but head games seem real to those trapped by them.

Hate to be pedantic, but voodoo is a bad example ;) Its actually a form of christianity... Quite far removed now, but it still maintains many links...

What you say about curses I agree applies tho. Often it is the belief in the cuirse that makes it work...

Originally posted by godisanathiest
Hate to be pedantic, but voodoo is a bad example ;) Its actually a form of christianity... Quite far removed now, but it still maintains many links...

A form of christianity? But is predates all that, doesn't it?.. how can it be and offshoot of it?

What you say about curses I agree applies tho. Often it is the belief in the cuirse that makes it work...

I think it is totally the belief that makes it work. Just like any other religion or belief system, it is entirely based on and stems from "faith", it's just belief and nothing more, not real, not substantiated, nothing but a complete fabrication of mind.

Satori

Originally posted by Hannu Mutanen
I agree that it is foolish to deny evolution only for the sake of a book, e.g. the Bible, and to explore our physical existence only within a religion's borders, but simultaneously it is completely absurd to neglect the importance of religion because of its lack of scientifical value and what people have done with using it for their own ends. Morale has significance in this discussion as religion has been drawn in as well, and like we know, that is what religion is about.

I was under the impression that this was a thread about the cold evidence regarding the ascent of man, and in that context, morale is insignificant because morale is a consequence and tool of our evolution, not a physical law which contributed to our evolution in the first place.

Ethics of course has it's place, but when we are talking about dna formation and cell division and such, it's irrelvant.

Morale has got nothing to do with the physical/observable origins of life. Therefore neither does religion.

Agreed, dispite the fact that religion does attempt to explain the actual origins of life nonetheless, and it is mindless for doing so.

You, however, adhere to the same idea as your christian counterparts do: by taking their taught concepts of 'god' and 'religion' for granted and not looking beyond that.

I take it for granted that MOST people take a quite literal interpretation of religions because most people that follow a religion enough to become actively involved in it DO take it literally. I think this goes without saying. I have no issues with anyone using any myth to guide them in their lives, I just happen to think that taking such myths too literally is counter-productive and can lead to many problems in individuals and socieities.

Dogmatic religious people neglect the worth of science as a way to understand our existence;

Yes.

dogmatic scientists neglect the worth of religion as a means to understand another level of our existence.

"another level or our existence"?? What are you talking about? Ethics? Spirituality? These are more in the area of psychology than the origin of species, therefore, they should be neglected, of course. Do we bring in ideas pertaining to spirituality and ethics when we try to determine the formation of stars? The mating habits of turtles? No. Evolution is no different from these things.

Anyone can give anything a morally questionable value, and so has unfortunately happened with many forms of human developement, be it science or religion.

Science has nothing to do with your conceptions of morally questionable value.

This, however, does and should not make the philosophies within these forms of exploration questionable!

When such exploration is not built in logic or evidence but instead built on speculative humanistic bullshit, then the exploration is not only questionable, but absurd and unworthy of being taken seriously.

The primary, original idea of religion is not a medium of control;

Religion is born of politics, politics came about from a need for social structuring and rules, and social structuring/rules are about controling the masses. Religion is politically oriented, regardless of what you feel the "original intent" was, this is what religions were originally used for.

but the values of the people who use it as a means of control should be opposed and questioned.

Just as I question the fabricators of religion, they created something which by all reflection and study looks as though it was created as a means to control the masses by taking control of their minds and not giving them the option of escaping (or even wanting to escape cuz of the fear involved).

This is not limited to religion.

Obviously, but religion is particularly sinister about it.

Should we scream for the destruction of the media because it attempts to indoctrinate us continuously?

No, we should request honest media, and failing that, each of us has the right to choose whether or not we believe what the media is telling us, that is our right and we do it all the time. When I see a commerical telling me that Tide is the best laundry detergent on the market, I KNOW not to take that as completely factual. However, when a religion adopts a child and mind-fucks them into being a loyal follower of their dogma, this child does NOT have the choice to disregard what they've been taught, with their immortal "soul" on the line, how could they? This lack of a choice is the problem.

The inherent value of the media is to give out information and news, but it is used otherwise.

And we are free to disregard any and all of it without any fear of divine retribution or whatever, unlike religion.

Should we go into anarchy because our leaders control us with law?

If the laws are unjust and impede our freedoms without good reason (like religion), absolutely.

The basic meaning of politics is to take care of public affairs, but it used by egocentric politicians to satiate their will to power.

Just like religion.

Should we retaliate against science because researchers have developed devices for mass destruction?

No, we should retaliate against the devices of mass destruction themselves and those that seek to create them and further their development.

Can you deny that physicists may not have studied ethical philosophy and thus are not aware of the miniscule particles constituting morale?

This is just far too whacky for comment. Where are you getting this nonsense from? What are these "miniscule particles constituting morale" that you are talking about? Morale comes from reason/mind, not from quantum physics. This is simply ridiculous. Are their miniscule particles constituting a passion for sushi? How about memory?

I really don't care if a scientist has studied ethical philosophy, if he is studying the raw and observable orgins of life, modern ethics is completely irrelevant in that venture. Cells divide, organisms propogate in relation to their environment, what does our current conceptions of "right/wrong" have to do with this? Nothing, absolutely nothing. You are attempting to blur the 2, mesh them together, and that's simply ridiculous.

(Some may have, but most probably have not [studied ethics]) That leaves them without the knowledge of what it is beyond our primality, in the world of ethical concepts, theories and development.

Which is completely irrelevant in the study of genetic mutation, environmental adaptation, etc.

Morale is not black and white, it is not about only the ultimate right or wrong. The saying 'one should stick to one's own' should sum this up nicely.

If you are trying to make some sort of a point with this, I fail to see what it is, this is a thread about the origins of life, not about what morale is. You are confusing the two.

Equally, a philosopher with deeper insight into only distinctly ethical issues should not consider oneself to be able to examine the scientific realm and have valid opinions about a thing one may not actually have a clue about.

Which is why such ventures are left to scientists and not philosphers.

(Furthermore, I would personally like to know what is so psychological in this philosophical idea of morale I mentioned.

Morale is psychological because it stems completely from mind, it is a mental construct and nothing more, it doesn't and cannot exist independent of mind.

Is it bullshit that the existence of Jesus negates your assertion of christianity being based on mere myth?

A short story to illustrate the point you are missing:

Satori was born long, long ago in a galaxy far, far way. After consuming several black holes for dinner, Satori strokes his schlong and ejaculates all over Jupiter's two largest moons. "Meow" said uranus, "I'm jealous".

Does the existence of me (Satori) make this story any more than just a myth?

Just cuz Jesus existed doesn't make the bible literally true.
Just cuz Sator exists doesn't make the above story true.

How you couldn't see this on your own, I can't understand. If you are coherent enough to type and use the internet, then you should be coherent enough to see that the existence of historical figures DOES NOT validate historical stories as factual.

That is just downright blind.

No, what's blind is that you think christianity isn't a myth purely because one of the characters in the story was a real person. Not only is this blind, it's ridiculous.

Christianity is based on the teachings of a wise man.

Dispite the fact that you don't seem to take it literally you still believe the myth was created for good and non-political purposes. You actually believe that Jesus was the creator of christianity. I suggest you do some reading about how the bible was constructed and WHO constructed it. There is a great deal you are unaware of. Studying such things, you will soon realize that Jesus was NOT the creator of christianity, it was Paul, 30 or so years after Jesus' death. Until Paul came along, there was no such thing as christianity and this whole "jesus was the messiah" crap was not even conceived of. Jesus was not the messiah and he never claimed to be, this status was awarded to him long after his death as a justification for creating a new political system.

This man just happened to live two millennia ago as a jew and have individual thoughts regarding the hypocritical way the priests lived and preached, as well as their religion's very core - the ideology, their god.

Complete nonsense. Jesus was a jew who fought and died defending judaism, only to have his character twisted many years later by those responsible for fabricating christianity.

Perhaps what he has taught is not to be interpreted the way it dominantly is

What he taught was judaism, and he taught it very well, something I think you should be aware of.

and if one cannot see his teachings as metaphors and interpret them realistically, then one is just as dogmatic and fundamentalistic as the religious people are in your opinion.

Nonsense, religion is not and is rarely (if ever) presented to the masses as a metaphor. If it were, then I wouldn't have such huge issues with it as I do. It is presented as factual, and people are told they must convince themselves to literally believe this load of implausible crap or else risk their immoratal "soul". You are attempting to sugar-coat.

Its idea just has different variable values: there has to be a distinction between religion as an institution and religion as a system of understanding the world within and without our comprehensible realm of existence.

Religion cannot be used to understand the world, only to understand human nature and psychology.

Institutionalised, it may seem horrible, and in particular (familiar to us) cases, it holds awful things within: exploit, control, blindness, abuse, crusades. Religions as philosophical means of understanding the world are a different story.

Religions do not help us understand the external world, only ourselves.

I find good things in many religions, but still I keep away from them because of what they have become outside their initially primary objectives.

You are suggesting that you are aware of the initial/primary objectives of religion, but all you have is your opinion on this. You think religions were made only for "good", but you neglect the fact that religions spawned out of politics and and to this day remain strongly politically influential.

If the primary objectives of relgions were spiritually oriented, there would be no need for all that dogma, lies, brainwashing, perpetution of ignorance, and fear-mongering. The existence of these things in religions suggests they were more than mere ethical pursuits, they were political and therefore, like all politics past and present, inherently corrupt.

(I personally think 'religiously', pondering on spiritual matters in stead of thinking of physics, but I am not part of any religion except through what influence christianity has had on me through its status in our culture.) But if a religion is murderous and blood-thirsty in its teachings, it makes one question whether this particular religion is good at all. No, it clearly is not. But does this spoil ALL of religion? Granted, we have twisted, harmful and completely senseless forms of religion, but this is a problem that should, and hopefully will be solved, and certainly does not form the whole idea of religion.

Agreed. Not the "whole idea", but most of the idea.

As an example, the Wiccan system is not born of will to power. It still is a religion, none can deny that.

Hehe, those evil pagans and their occult practices.

I have no problems with wicca, it is a peaceful/metaphorical religion that has not been historically used to fuck people. I am also quite enamoured with its environmental respect, as with native religions.

And Satori, just to let you know, christianity was not born for domination, but as a counteraction to the religious climate of that time. Anyone who has read religious history should know that.

This depends entirely on what religious history you read. Regardless of this however, it was used for domination purposes very early on, and this has remained its purpose in many parts of the world.

It's been fun,

Satori

OK, I have thought over the matter for a while and have come to the conclusion that I should draw back a little - because of some fumbles I noticed in my thinking and some that you did. Christ, no-one has ever blown holes as big as these into anything I have said.

To keep within an irrelevant topic for a while, I wish to say I am not trying to blur philosophy and science - in this light, forgive my choice of words with 'miniscule particles constituting morale' when I could have said merely 'ethical theories' - but actually a big part of my message's purpose was to distinguish them. Applying the saying 'each to one's own' in this regards was directly for that purpose.

With "another level of our existence" I am referring to that which science cannot directly touch: untangible ideas of what constitutes 'morale'. It is psychological only to the extent that psychology researches the mind, which creates morale. It does not however go into examination of the actual concept of ethics. We are still in the irrelevant area, however.

To go into the topic of religion, I would firstly like to point out that I do not consider the biblical Jesus as factual. I do know biblical history and how varying and uninformative of Jesus the writings in the Bible are. By asserting that Jesus' existence and teachings were a factual point from which christianity ascended was only to point out that it has SOME factual basis. The stress of my comment was on the word 'mere' (as in what you said of christianity being based on mere myth); even if Jesus subsequently was turned into a vehicle of the newborn religion's upheaval it does not negate that parts of his wisdom were not transferred into their holy book. (But this point is just worthless nitpicking, I notice). There is a world of difference between the mythical Jesus and the historical Jesus, and I notice I failed at pointing this out while trying to give this religion, well, a coat of sugar, I suppose, with interpreting the Bible through the historical Jesus. By this I was justifying religion, even when christianity does not interpret things through historical truth.

This leads us into my conception of 'religion'. We know it should not be used to anything else than thinking of morale and ethics, but is utilized in a dominative manner. You say this utility constitutes a big part of religion, and while having thought of the same thing for a while I cannot help but agree. People have tendencies to create personality cults where individuals with certain noble qualities are raised to a pedestal. Those who have created and/or maintained religions have been aware of this and used it as a means for giving themselves a raise in social stature and might while willingly not interpreting of the initial philosophies behind them - confer: the medieval christian popes, for instance. The rationale of religion is a two-bladed sword: religious morale arises out of logical denial of right (controlling the masses), while the religious morale that I pertained to is philosophical rumination on the ideas that develop into religions. But why should I see these ideas as religious? They are directed into dogma to control people, they are not dogma in themselves. It is important to distinguish the idea from its subsequent use, and when doing so, the idea becomes non-religious and merely philosophical.

So, my conception of religion that I was defending is not to be considered as religion at all. I did not quite see this earlier, actually - I had taken a non-dogmatic interpretation of religion and thought of it as religion, while it is not. The division that I made between organized religion and philosophical religion is actually to be made between religion and philosophy. How logical.

Of course there have been good things happening through the effect of religion, but I would suppose that what generated these things was an individual interpretation of that particular religion, for dogmatism, as you said, is counter-productive. Thus this interpretation is philosophy, but only in a religious context. ("He wrote reluctantly of angels and God, because he was a true poet, and of the Devil's party without even knowing it" said William Blake of John Milton; likewise, a man with wise thoughts on religion while still clinging to it may actually be anti-religious because his logic transcends the borders of its dogma, he may just not know it.)

While this may seem clear to you, I have to say that I had become rather blind. Thanks!
- Hannu