Satyricon Update

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
From Facebook...

SATYRICON Frontman: 'The New Album Isn't Just Another Album, It's A Milestone'

SATYRICON held a press conference earlier today (June 4) prior to their headlining show at Sweden Rock Festival in Sölvesborg.

"We just got back fron Los Angeles where we've finishing tracking the drums [for the new SATYRICON studio album]", revealed frontman Satyr. "I'm going back to L.A. to do the guitars and will finish the album on August 2. The album wll be released on November 3."

He added, "The new album isn't just another album, it's a milestone. It's epic and still the choruses are catchy. Some of the songs are really long."

Satyr also revealed that a musician "celebrity" visited the band at Sound City studios in Van Nuys, California, where METALLICA recently recorded its forthcoming album.

"Daron Malakian, who was the main songwriter in SYSTEM OF A DOWN, came down one night and we did a song together in just a few hours, which is very unusual for us," Satyr said. "I don't think the song will appear on the album; we'll most likely use it as a bonus track."

A previously unreleased SATYRICON song, "My Skin Is Cold", is included on the band's new EP of the same name, which was issued on June 2 in most of Europe. The track was omitted from the final running order of the group's 2002 album "Volcano" and has remained unreleased up until this point. Joining those two tracks are live versions of "Repined Bastard Nation" and "Mother North" that were recorded in Gjallarhorn and include members of the Oslo Philarmonic Orchestra and the Norwegian Broadcast Orchestra as well as "Live Through Me" and "Existential Fear-Questions", two tracks that were only released as bonus songs on the LP edition of "Volcano".

"My Skin Is Cold" was released as a seven-inch gatefold vinyl single including a five-track CD. This is the only physical version of the EP and the packaging is said to be "truly one of a kind!"

SATYRICON is currently streaming a sample of the title track of the "My Skin Is Cold" EP on the splash page of the band's official web site.

The EP was relased via Roadrunner Records worldwide, except in Norway, where it came out through SATYRICON's new partner, Indie Recordings.

Fan-filmed video footage of SATYRICON performing the song "Mother North" in St. Petersburg, Russia on May 16, 2008 can be viewed below (clip uploaded by YouTube user "anticoO").

I'm excited for the new album, but a little disturbed to see the association with Metallica and SOAD, and Roadrunner...

Actually, that doesn't sound that cool at all. Remember when this band made black metal and didn't just pretend they still were?

I haven't read any interviews by them lately, but a couple of years ago they were still claiming that their music was black metal.

Im sure it will be bad ass like all the Satyricon albums. Remember Satyricon are pioneers of the 2nd wave of black metal, so i say let them progress if they want to... as long as its fresh and kicks ass.

I haven't read any interviews by them lately, but a couple of years ago they were still claiming that their music was black metal.

Actually, that doesn't sound that cool at all. Remember when this band made black metal and didn't just pretend they still were?

I have an idea: stop being a pretentious faggot and GTFO.

Mathiäs;7319611 said:
I have an idea: stop being a pretentious faggot and GTFO.

Having an opinion that differs from your own doesn't make me pretentious.

According to the interviews that I've read by Satyricon, they're still a black metal band, which is something I'm fully entitled to disagree with, since they aren't playing what most people consider black metal anymore. You don't have to like it, but my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's and I'm not pretentious for stating it.

Besides that, I'm 100% sure that you've posted about bands you dislike here before, so come off it and you stop being pretentious.

I've given up on trying to determine whether a band is Black Metal or not. My personal rule is that if it's 51%+ Black Metal, then it's Black Metal. Therefore I have a relatively broad envelope. And Satyricon are Black Metal because that's the primary element of their music. People will disagree with this, and I respect that.

^Same here, except to me there's not one universal source that determines what is Black Metal and what isn't. The Metal Archives has a lot of Metal missing that it didn't consider Metal for example.
But to get on topic:
I'm looking forward to the new Satyricon, but I wish the full length would come out sooner than November 3, I'm ready for it now, and was hoping for an album release a couple months from now around my birthday. Also, I have no clue where to order the new 5 song EP, anyone know of any links where it's available for order at?

Remember Satyricon are pioneers of the 2nd wave of black metal

LOL, I hope this is sarcastic, what Satyricon ever done that was "never been done before" ? They're a generic band that became popular because they made a split with Enslaved, who made a split with Emperor.

You'd be wrong, though. Strapping some flute over standard black metal doesn't make it any less standard. It's a decent enough album, though, and back then, they were at least trying.

Technically it does make it something new and you're just being a stubborn old fart, tbh. New is defined as having not been done yet, and as much as you may want to deny it "adding flute to black metal" is quite obviously "innovative" unless innovation to you means doing only new things that you personally respect and like. Which is pretty cunty and crotchety but I would not put either of these things by you.

:wave:

p.s. unless someone already added flutes to black metal before, not quite sure on this but you're arguing something fundamentally wrong anyway so not really the problem now is it?

LOL, I hope this is sarcastic, what Satyricon ever done that was "never been done before" ? They're a generic band that became popular because they made a split with Enslaved, who made a split with Emperor.
No doubt Satyricon is one the most recognisable and influential Norwegian bands. Fact. A set of functioning ears is all it takes to determine that.

so everytime a band introduces a new lyrical theme in black metal (no matter how stupid) it is innovative? interesting.