Satyricon Update

Not to be a dick, but didn't Bathory do that too? Medieval themes, that is...

No. Viking Metal doesn't equal Medieval Metal. Blood Fire Death was the only Black/Viking Metal album Quorthon made, and even then, there wasn't a trace of medieval music, nor folk music, since you may be confusing the two.

"My Skin Is Cold" was boring as hell, but it dosnt suck. Its just the same as usual. Nothing new....but im still awaiting the new album....hope its better.

Ironically, it's almost impossible not to be somewhat original/innovative as a rule.
True...you'd have to actually use riffs that were written by other bands and produce it exactly the same as some other album.

No. Viking Metal doesn't equal Medieval Metal. Blood Fire Death was the only Black/Viking Metal album Quorthon made, and even then, there wasn't a trace of medieval music, nor folk music, since you may be confusing the two.
Medieval =/= folk, I know. And Bathory didn't incorporate folk elements on BFD anyways. I meant the lyrical focus...lyrics about Vikings are automatically medieval...unless they're about futuristic space vikings on dinosaurs or something awesome like that.
But it looks like I misread your post. Sorry.

I really wouldn't consider anything Satyricon did musically to be truly "medieval" to begin with.

I'm looking forward to the new album now knowing My Skin Is Cold is not actually a new song. I probably listened to Now, Diabolical more than any Satyricon album so aslong as the album sounds like The Pentagram Burns meets K.I.N.G with a twist will enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to the new album now knowing My Skin Is Cold is not actually a new song. I probably listened to Now, Diabolical more than any Satyricon album so aslong as the album sounds like The Pentagram Burns meets K.I.N.G with a twist will enjoy it.
The Pentagram Burns is my favorite song off of it, with Rite of The Cross a close second.

Either way, it was still little but a natural progression from what was happening in the black metal scene at the time. One guy sings about vikings, another about knights. No big leap there.

PS! Blood Fire Death isn't "viking".

Either way, it was still little but a natural progression from what was happening in the black metal scene at the time. One guy sings about vikings, another about knights. No big leap there.

Yes, but a medieval theme can also be incorporated MUSICALLY, as on Dark Medieval Times.

Okay, so what is medieval music then? I honestly have no idea.

Wikipedia is your friend.

Without consulting that, medieval music is traditional music from that time period in Europe, with traditional instruments such as lutes (=classical guitar), flutes, and fiddles. You can also count the pipe organ, but that instrument isn't exclusive to medieval music.

Now listen to Dark Medieval Times and you'll see how the instrumentation is integrated.

Okay, so what is medieval music then? I honestly have no idea.
Medieval music = music from the medieval period.
What instruments were used in the medieval period?
Let's think.
Harp?
Lute?
Flute?
Shit like that?
Not so hard...

Oh, you guys mean traditional folk music, right? Medieval music isn't a genre, and I honestly don't care if Wikipedia says that it is.

Now listen to Dark Medieval Times and you'll see how the instrumentation is integrated.

I've heard the folk music interludes. I was asking how it was different from traditional medieval folk music, which it apparently isn't since nobody explained why.

Yeah, it's traditional medieval folk music. Someone earlier said that medieval music wasn't folk music, so I asked why. Medieval music still isn't a genre of music.