Savatage - Live Devastation

JonnyD

Chef Metal
Jun 4, 2002
The Metal Kitchen
www.myspace.com
On a recent ebay kick I found a copy of Savatage - Live Devastation apparently this live album was supposed to come out in 1995 on Metal Blade records but for some reason didnt so this is a advance promo copy of that album and being the Savatage completest I am I had to get it! and I am glad I did! Alot of the classics you expect are on here But! there are a bunch of older songs form from the earlier albums too! here is the track list!

1. Dungeons are Calling
2. City Beneath the Surface
3. Sirens
4. Of Rage And War
5. She's in Love
6. Hounds
7. Thorazine Shuffle
8. Hall of the Mountain King
9. Power of the Night
10. Devastation
11. Warriors
12. Necrophilia
13. 24 Hours Ago
14. Twisted Little Sister
15. Midas Night
16. I Believe

Judging from the setlist it was recorded on the Gutter Ballet tour
icon_smile.gif
its very cool!!!

Hey JD, I believe you're speaking of the 1989, Gutter tour show in Los Angeles. I have a bootleg dvd video of it that I traded for last year. Crappy quality, but I've seen/heard a lot worse on bootlegs. At least there's two different camera views.

How is the sound on the cd? The dvd sound wouldn't cut it, not for an "official" release, even a live one.

NP: Icarus Witch - Capture the Magic

I have it. Metal Blade released advance promotional cds for it but the album was never released. The sound is great IMO but I guess not for an "official" release.

How much was it going for JD?

I just dl'ed a show from DimeADozen from '87..... Killer set list, decent pic. and ok sound.... If interested, either PM me or mail me at
jwillcoxon aht gmail.com

Bit torrenting rules!

J-Dubya

AHA! this is excellent news for any good Savatage fan, seems like they don't get along with labels very well though :Smug:
Anyone who has followed the band for a while will understand when i say, DO NOT BUY "fight for the rock"

SavaMaidenRay said:
AHA! this is excellent news for any good Savatage fan, seems like they don't get along with labels very well though :Smug:
Anyone who has followed the band for a while will understand when i say, DO NOT BUY "fight for the rock"

I am a HUGE Savatage Fan and I have bought Fight For the Rock more than once ... there are some great songs on there!

I still spin Fight For the Rock on a regular basis. The record label forced Savatage into a sticky situation there, and I thought they did a great job of holding their integrity. It's because of FFtR that I hold Jon Oliva in awe, not in spite of.

NP: Rainbow - Difficult to Cure

I have Live Devastation also and it's a good CD. I don't know why they didn't release it? As far as FFTR...it has some good songs, but the production is what kills it for me. If you listen to the first three albums and then FFTR, it sounds so weak. :erk: They took all the crunch out of it. It's amazing that came out between Power Of the Night and Hall Of The Mountain King?????

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
I still spin Fight For the Rock on a regular basis. The record label forced Savatage into a sticky situation there, and I thought they did a great job of holding their integrity. It's because of FFtR that I hold Jon Oliva in awe, not in spite of.

NP: Rainbow - Difficult to Cure

I really have a hard time disliking anything Criss Oliva plays on personally :D and songs like Hyde and Fight for the Rock and others that are escaping me now hahaha are great! I'v always enjoyed it myself!

Mxgonzo said:
I have it. Metal Blade released advance promotional cds for it but the album was never released. The sound is great IMO but I guess not for an "official" release.

How much was it going for JD?

I think 15 bucks I like it! :D the second half is worth the price of the cd!

I agree that there are a few good songs on FFTR, hyde being one of my personal favorites, but I am so bothered by the process behind the album that i tend to just 'say to hell with it' in favor of HOTMK or EOT.
I see where your coming from outcast, and yes they did come out of the whole mess with a semi-decent album that was, however, by no means on par with their others. If you check out the latest interview with Jon Oliva, which can be accessed via their site (www.savatage.com), even he comments on FFTR as a huge disapointment.

SavaMaidenRay said:
I agree that there are a few good songs on FFTR, hyde being one of my personal favorites, but I am so bothered by the process behind the album that i tend to just 'say to hell with it' in favor of HOTMK or EOT.
I see where your coming from outcast, and yes they did come out of the whole mess with a semi-decent album that was, however, by no means on par with their others. If you check out the latest interview with Jon Oliva, which can be accessed via their site (www.savatage.com), even he comments on FFTR as a huge disapointment.

Dont give a shit if Jon Oliva thought it was a huge disapointment ... fact remains The Oliva Brothers could Shit in a cd case and I would love it!

JonnyD said:
Dont give a shit if Jon Oliva thought it was a huge disapointment ... fact remains The Oliva Brothers could Shit in a cd case and I would love it!
:lol: Yeah, me too, JD!

Ray, I know Jon doesn't think much of FFTR, but he had to live through the experience. He's allowed to be bitter. For those of us on the outside, we can see the album from the other point of view. A bad album by Savatage is still better than the best albums by countless other established bands. If you're a Savaholic, anyway...:D

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
:lol: Yeah, me too, JD!

Ray, I know Jon doesn't think much of FFTR, but he had to live through the experience. He's allowed to be bitter. For those of us on the outside, we can see the album from the other point of view. A bad album by Savatage is still better than the best albums by countless other established bands. If you're a Savaholic, anyway...:D

Agreed 100% :D ofcourse when it comes to Sava we NEVER disagree!!! .... and John Arch!