Saxon doing secret gig this Friday in Lincoln

Golden_Goose said:
YOU LUCKY FUCKERS!:kickass:

WHOEVER IS GOING, TELL BIFF I SAID HI:heh:

Tell him, I was one of a few guys who was at the Long Island show a few years ago @ Mulcahy's that met them on the bus, and helped "move" ;) a pice of fencing so the tour bus could leave.

Lucky fuckers? What, us loyal fans? Nah, we didn't get told about it. Instead, a pub full of people who probably never buy Saxon cd's/merchandise, never travel anywhere to see 'em, or most likely, don't even know who they are, get to see 'em FOR FREE instead. I wonder if this is a sick little game of theirs to see how far they can go before we all give up on 'em.

Sammi951 said:
Lucky fuckers? What, us loyal fans? Nah, we didn't get told about it. Instead, a pub full of people who probably never buy Saxon cd's/merchandise, never travel anywhere to see 'em, or most likely, don't even know who they are, get to see 'em FOR FREE instead. I wonder if this is a sick little game of theirs to see how far they can go before we all give up on 'em.

I hear ya :lol:

I think it would be awesome for the guys to do a secret one off gig for their fans on this board:cool: that would rule but it would be a pain in the ass or arse depending on which side o' the pond you're on :p but for me to make it will be impossibleo_O

At least they play over there so it's a bit easier for you Metalheads.

Sammi951 said:

Well I have spoken to a few of the loyal Saxon fans from this board tonight, and they are of the same opinion as me, totally pissed off. It makes you wonder why we bother.

JUST BACK FROM THE LINCOLN GIG

The first I heard of this gig was thanks to Bosnian Witchfinders post yesterday. Because I had the day off work I had time to find out if the rumour was true, and got busy on the net going through Lincoln’s gig guides when I came across a web site for a live music venue called The Bivouac. Your quite right Pax, it is part of the Duke of Wellington pub, so I rang them to get more info. They gave nothing away apart from “Just as our web site says, mystery band on at 8.20 and suggest you get here early”

So I left home, drove to Lincoln and arrived at the venue a good hour and a half before the doors opened at 7pm. There was a lengthy queue forming so I joined it and soon felt old compared to everybody else waiting, I would say an average age of about sixteen. They let about 150 people in, me included, into a small upstairs room with a serving hatch for a bar. At 7.30 this local band came on stage, not a metal band and aged the same as most of the crowd. They played a good set and went off at 8 pm.

I then knew Saxon were playing, I recognised their roadies, when they swapped drum kits. Biff and the boys came on and straight into the following set:

DOGS OF WAR
WITCHFINDER GENERAL
SOLID BALL OF ROCK
CUT OUT THE DISEASE
20,000 FT
BACKS TO THE WALL
DRAGONS LAIR
PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT
WHEELS OF STEEL

I tried to talk to a channel 4 woman but she was non-committal but the impression I get. Channel 4 wanted Saxon to play a gig to a totally new audience and this whole documentary’s about an older band winning over a younger crowd, and they did win them over. The kids went f**king mental for Saxon!!!! Considering they had not heard of the band before entering the building.

I know this is a brief account, but I’ll try to answer any questions anyone might have.

If there was a show for the die hards,I would be there,but would Saxon show?I know several have booked arrangements for the upcoming tour,but I can't.I will have to wait until weeks before and still be taking a chance.Being that this one off show was not planned,I would like to thank the organizers for not letting anyone down with a cancallation,no die hards were let down this time,except of not being included.If we were invited,who knows if it would have happened.Besides,it wasn't even a full set.

SAXONIZED said:

The first I heard of this gig was thanks to Bosnian Witchfinders post yesterday. Because I had the day off work I had time to find out if the rumour was true, and got busy on the net going through Lincoln’s gig guides when I came across a web site for a live music venue called The Bivouac. Your quite right Pax, it is part of the Duke of Wellington pub, so I rang them to get more info. They gave nothing away apart from “Just as our web site says, mystery band on at 8.20 and suggest you get here early”

So I left home, drove to Lincoln and arrived at the venue a good hour and a half before the doors opened at 7pm. There was a lengthy queue forming so I joined it and soon felt old compared to everybody else waiting, I would say an average age of about sixteen. They let about 150 people in, me included, into a small upstairs room with a serving hatch for a bar. At 7.30 this local band came on stage, not a metal band and aged the same as most of the crowd. They played a good set and went off at 8 pm.

I then knew Saxon were playing, I recognised their roadies, when they swapped drum kits. Biff and the boys came on and straight into the following set:

DOGS OF WAR
WITCHFINDER GENERAL
SOLID BALL OF ROCK
CUT OUT THE DISEASE
20,000 FT
BACKS TO THE WALL
DRAGONS LAIR
PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT
WHEELS OF STEEL

I tried to talk to a channel 4 woman but she was non-committal but the impression I get. Channel 4 wanted Saxon to play a gig to a totally new audience and this whole documentary’s about an older band winning over a younger crowd, and they did win them over. The kids went f**king mental for Saxon!!!! Considering they had not heard of the band before entering the building.

I know this is a brief account, but I’ll try to answer any questions anyone might have.

:worship: :headbang: Thanks for the review and glad you got to see them! \m/

I didnt want to bring this up but during the 1980's when I saw the majority of concerts of my life, there was only a few times that I a can remember a cancellation of a concert or a band not appearing. One band that comes up twice is Saxon. Once on the Motley Crue (Shout at the devil, tour) and once in Buffalo at Shea's Theatre.You would think they can properly inform the fans when a show is happening. I would love to make the trip over to Germany to see them but the lack of communication makes me wonder if it is worth it.:erk:

rockandrollsteve

Well i dont feel like moaning so much now.If Saxon win over some younger fans and it keeps them going a few more years,then im for it.It would be great if they did the same for us olduns but there you go.From a channel 4 point of view that gig was perfect.I mean then go on stage and play the best of Girls Aloud and we go nuts,so whats the point.
Having said that i think the hardcore deserve a little bit more from the band we have followed for 20 years or more.Most bands would aat least do a studio blog or something.You know the kind of thing.
"High metalheads Saxon here.We have busy the last few days putting the finnishing touches to the new album.One of the new songs called storm of death is the heaviest thing we have ever done.We like some input off you the hardcore fans about what songs you lke to hear on the next tour,after all its you who pay our wages":lol:

Would have not been better for channerl 4 and us fans to say film the up and coming show in london, rather then some crapy little pub that holds 150-200 people. ( Like said in an earlier thread saxon playing to people who most of em never heard of saxon ).

Like allready been said us die hard saxon fans on this board are being let down, by the lack of up to date information on this web site, and i dont blame wouter for this, its the management or the record company that should be keeping wouter more up to date for us.

I get more up to date info reading threads from other saxon fans on this board and other rock/metal sites then i do from saxon747.com, there is deff something wrong somewhere along the line.

Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I was one of the lucky few that were in attendance at the Bivouac secret gig last night. Until last night i hadn't much knowledge of Saxon and their music. When the guys came on and played Dogs of War, most of the crowd didn't know what to expect, as soon as the second song started the crowd exploded! Thrashing around like animals! It kicked some arse, and i was right there in the middle of it.

The reason for keeping loyal fans in the dark was so the makers of the programme (Ten Alps TV) got loads of people who had never heard of Saxon, to watch them and gauge our reaction to the band's performance. The programme is centered around Harvey Goldsmith - promoter of Live Aid, Live 8 and gods knows how many other huge acts, and in this series he is trying to get bands like Saxon back in the public eye.

I was asked to participate in an interview with Harvey and the band to discuss what the band could do to gain a new audience. Some said change the lyrics, change the style, but after watching them last night i wouldn't change a thing. And if they made Saxon wear drain pipe trousers and eyeliner and write songs about breaking up with your girlfriend, i'd damn well stop listening to music.

Hopefully Saxon will benefit greatly from this project and if this finally reaches TV and they havent cut me out, i'm the increadibly soaking wet, mohawk opposite Doug!

Cheers guys great gig!

DOGS OF WAR
WITCHFINDER GENERAL
SOLID BALL OF ROCK
CUT OUT THE DISEASE
20,000 FT
BACKS TO THE WALL
DRAGONS LAIR
PRINCESS OF THE NIGHT
WHEELS OF STEEL

awesome stuff, no offence to the old fans, but im glad channel 4 got a younger audience to come down, as theyre trying to be positive, not trying to show saxon as a band only old people listen to.

Massive Bereavement said:
Afternoon ladies and gentlemen,

I was one of the lucky few that were in attendance at the Bivouac secret gig last night. Until last night i hadn't much knowledge of Saxon and their music. When the guys came on and played Dogs of War, most of the crowd didn't know what to expect, as soon as the second song started the crowd exploded! Thrashing around like animals! It kicked some arse, and i was right there in the middle of it.

The reason for keeping loyal fans in the dark was so the makers of the programme (Ten Alps TV) got loads of people who had never heard of Saxon, to watch them and gauge our reaction to the band's performance. The programme is centered around Harvey Goldsmith - promoter of Live Aid, Live 8 and gods knows how many other huge acts, and in this series he is trying to get bands like Saxon back in the public eye.

I was asked to participate in an interview with Harvey and the band to discuss what the band could do to gain a new audience. Some said change the lyrics, change the style, but after watching them last night i wouldn't change a thing. And if they made Saxon wear drain pipe trousers and eyeliner and write songs about breaking up with your girlfriend, i'd damn well stop listening to music.

Hopefully Saxon will benefit greatly from this project and if this finally reaches TV and they havent cut me out, i'm the increadibly soaking wet, mohawk opposite Doug!

Cheers guys great gig!
Thanks for that.Sounds like a great night and a great set.

saxonfan said:
If there was a show for the die hards,I would be there,but would Saxon show?I know several have booked arrangements for the upcoming tour,but I can't.I will have to wait until weeks before and still be taking a chance.Being that this one off show was not planned,I would like to thank the organizers for not letting anyone down with a cancallation,no die hards were let down this time,except of not being included.If we were invited,who knows if it would have happened.Besides,it wasn't even a full set.

There were strong rumours THE CURE were playing but also SAXON were mentioned in the outside banter, I kept my mouth shut and just waited. The TV people were asking questions, interested in the kids reaction to whom was playing.

What I’m saying let’s wait until things are official, I strongly feel the TV people were calling the shots, they organised the gig, maybe paid to hire the venue. I think the band might have been under contract to keep it quite, the TV people didn’t want us die hard fans there!!

I hope this TV programme is good for the band and wins over many new fans, and I kind of understand why they decided to do it. Let’s hope it doesn’t turn out to be a Spinal Tap affair as others have also feared.

This gig had been kept secret and fulfilled the documentary’s aim.