say something about ... yourself!

Karen teach me about wine. I like the red kind more than the white kind and that's about all I know. I need the enthusiasm of a true wine connoisseur to properly motivate me to figure out what I like and don't like about it.

Karen teach me about wine. I like the red kind more than the white kind and that's about all I know. I need the enthusiasm of a true wine connoisseur to properly motivate me to figure out what I like and don't like about it.

To be 100% honest with you, no one can teach you what you like and what you dont ;)

It's your taste that matters... and with wine, much like anything else, you need to try as many wines as possible to determine first, what you are drawn to. I would love to give you some good affordable suggestions, and you can tell me which ones you like more and which ones you didn't - and we'll go from there. :)
The only trick with wine is to know how to identify which one you like the most. You can group wine into the obvious groups like: Merlot, cabarnet etc... or (my way) according to the different wine styles; 'earthy' 'robust' 'fruity' 'dry' 'full-bodied' etc...

Once you master what you like, then you can narrow down better your style of wine. :)

The best news about wine is that you can train your taste-buds to evolve the more you drink wine. The more you drink; the more robust your taste buds will be, and you'll find yourself with the best open wine-mind ever! :)

goddamn I love wine.

To be 100% honest with you, no one can teach you what you like and what you dont ;)

It's your taste that matters... and with wine, much like anything else, you need to try as many wines as possible to determine first, what you are drawn to. I would love to give you some good affordable suggestions, and you can tell me which ones you like more and which ones you didn't - and we'll go from there. :)
The only trick with wine is to know how to identify which one you like the most. You can group wine into the obvious groups like: Merlot, cabarnet etc... or (my way) according to the different wine styles; 'earthy' 'robust' 'fruity' 'dry' 'full-bodied' etc...

Once you master what you like, then you can narrow down better your style of wine. :)

The best news about wine is that you can train your taste-buds to evolve the more you drink wine. The more you drink; the more robust your taste buds will be, and you'll find yourself with the best open wine-mind ever! :)

goddamn I love wine.

This.

Just don't turn into a trendy wine fag with newfangled automatic bottle openers and "wine breathers" or some such bullshit. You need a corkscrew, a bottle of wine, and a glass. Doesn't really matter what kind of glass unless you're having guests. Different wine glasses are made to enhance the taste and smell of certain types of wine, but they don't make shitty wine taste good. That's why I say balls to the swirling and just pour some in a glass and see if you like it first.

Shit, at parties we drink the shit out of a plastic cup here most of the time...as long as we're not at a dinner or something. Good wine is good wine...posturing is unnecessary.

Have fun!

Gosh, I can tell you weren't raised by a French mother... lol

But yeah I see your point Chris, if its good it's good. The thing with wine though, is that you will meet so many pretentious idiots in this business. Don't let anyone influence you, rather let people inspire you.
and most importantly: let the wine inspire you. It's the best beverage in the world.

Wine in a plastic cup is only allowed at metal shows... eek.

CORK%20N%20ALE%20WINE%20RACKS.JPG

I was brought up in a house of wine-o's, and I now train General Managers and Owners at restaurants about wine. I'm currently going for my Sommelier Diploma, all nicely paid for by the restaurants I work for. I stress every time I do a seminar, that wine is a very personal thing. One person may adore a $9 bottle of wine over a $100 dollar bottle of wine, or vise versa. Price means nothing.

Kevin, if you wanted to attempt to find a wine you like, buy local (California or BC wines) as you can get very nice wines for less than $8. Try a range of different varietals from the same winery, both white and red. pick the varietals you like the best and then slowly make your way through different wineries until you find the ones you like. If you know you like sweet or dry or etc already, then look up which wines will be of more your taste, and just delve through different wineries.

The easiest way is to do a wine tour through a winery. Especially here on the west coast, they usually make more than one varietal, which they offer as free samples throughout the tour.

Gosh, I can tell you weren't raised by a French mother... lol

But yeah I see your point Chris, if its good it's good. The thing with wine though, is that you will meet so many pretentious idiots in this business. Don't let anyone influence you, rather let people inspire you.
and most importantly: let the wine inspire you. It's the best beverage in the world.

Wine in a plastic cup is only allowed at metal shows... eek.

Well, many people here produce their own wine...it's usually only bought for special occasions. Wine in this part of the world is at every dinner table at just about every meal...it's not really a big deal here. Of course there are certain wines to celebrate, such as a Moscato or Spumante, but they're dessert wines. A cabernet franc or ramandolo runs about 5 - 10 euros per bottle for good wine here. You can see that the "wine mystique/snobbery" is almost nonexistent due to it being so common. The only people who wine taste are tourists.

Granted, wine in a plastic cup is not advised, but at parties with friends or bandmates it doesn't really matter. When you produce your own wine and grappa in your back yard, wine snobbery makes you look like an asshole here. Of course at high-end restaurants there are still 50 euro bottles of wine...but they would translate into 200 dollar bottles in the US.

In the end, it's all dependent upon where you are. People become snobs about anything when they think they're elitist and have access to something no one else has. When everyone has access to it and it's more common, the elitist morons usually go away. Here, you'll be fucked with and teased for actually being a wine snob...mainly due to the fact that wine snobs know fuck all about wine. Ever notice that wine makers are never snobs, and vice versa?

Well, many people here produce their own wine...it's usually only bought for special occasions. Wine in this part of the world is at every dinner table at just about every meal...it's not really a big deal here. Of course there are certain wines to celebrate, such as a Moscato or Spumante, but they're dessert wines. A cabernet franc or ramandolo runs about 5 - 10 euros per bottle for good wine here. You can see that the "wine mystique/snobbery" is almost nonexistent due to it being so common. The only people who wine taste are tourists.

Granted, wine in a plastic cup is not advised, but at parties with friends or bandmates it doesn't really matter. When you produce your own wine and grappa in your back yard, wine snobbery makes you look like an asshole here. Of course at high-end restaurants there are still 50 euro bottles of wine...but they would translate into 200 dollar bottles in the US.

In the end, it's all dependent upon where you are. People become snobs about anything when they think they're elitist and have access to something no one else has. When everyone has access to it and it's more common, the elitist morons usually go away. Here, you'll be fucked with and teased for actually being a wine snob...mainly due to the fact that wine snobs know fuck all about wine. Ever notice that wine makers are never snobs, and vice versa?

Yep I agree, Chris.
I am the same way despite my upbringing by a Frenchie ;)
I know all the proper ways, but i don't always follow them myself.
Wine is a part of every meal for me also, therefore, I am the same as most people in Italy. (or Spain... because in Spain they also treat it as a casual matter)
Wine is too awesome of a beverage to not enjoy it in its most simplest form. Forget about the ceremonies that go along with it, leave that for fine dinning or when you visit France. (as the French people REALLY love their whole ceremonial wine consumption.)

Also, Italian wine is amazing. When you go to a real Italian place in Italy, and ask for the house wine it's always amazing tasting wine. (while in the US most 'house wine' are pure shit... I wouldn't be surprised if most restaurants serve Yellow Tail.... :ill: )
Standards are very different in Italy... food wise, wine wise... 'common food' there is pure quality. Dammit, I need to go back to Italy.

Interestingly enough...while I love Italian wine, there are some French wines that completely blow me away. Usually I prefer the boldness of the wines here, especially the Umbrian and Friuliano and Veneto wines, but maybe it's due to my taste buds changing gradually (because they change every 7 years), but I find myself drawn to more French wines lately. You're so lucky, Karen, to have been brought up in a family such as yours. I was too, to an extent, but it never really blossomed until I got here.

Well, French wines are freaking amazing indeed I won't argue with that, haha!
In fact, they may be my favorite ever... The crem de la cream of wines :)

You know though, when I moved to the US I got into all of the Sonoma/ Napa / US wines which I never really had before (it's rare to find those in Europe)
and they are really good!! I am lucky to have friends in Sonoma who took me all over the wineries in that region a few times, and I am completely blown away by those.
They are so different from the European ones.

You know what the French call: "terroir"? (which really means "soil" )
but in wine terms - It's the way the soil of the grape vines effects the flavor of the wine according to the different local characteristics.
The US wines are so different and so tasty. I have became a huge fan of that region.
It's like buying 'local' right? ;)