SCALD - "Vermiculatus" - Reviews

http://www.imhotep.fi/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2177&Itemid=75&lang=en

Imhotep Rating: 7/10

User Rating for Album: 10/10

12345678910 At first I thought “Vermiculatus” was like a trip into the dark side of the moon, but I was wrong. It’s more like a journey into other solar systems; a peek into time before time; a journey through a burning brain, and so on. I wasn’t prepared for this. I knew Scald was a band without limitations and boundaries, but this new album is just beyond my imagination. It’s going to be hard to describe this, but I’ll try.

“Vermiculatus” is a progressive album, and I really mean progressive. It doesn’t have complex rhythmic drum patterns or wild technical guitar riffs, so don’t expect anything in the vein of Dream Theater. “Vermiculatus” includes only one single track, which is kind of divided into two different halves. The first half contains normal band playing, with several different parts that alternate between harder and calmer material. There are no choruses or vocals and the song doesn’t seem to have a structure of any kind, so the music is really hard to get. The second half doesn’t contain any drums and just about no guitars either, but it’s more like a twisted ambient piece containing dark mystic atmosphere, weird noises and hypnotic soundscapes. And surprisingly it works so well, that you want to close your eyes and really concentrate on what you are hearing.

The album also has a CD-rom track, which is a short animated film that tries to make this experience even deeper than it already is. The animation looks like a Kraftverk-video enhanced with a bad LSD-trip and you’ll have to see it for yourself. There’s no point to trying to categorize it, or the music either. All I can say, that the animation is probably one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen. Don’t expect to understand this on first listening/seeing. You have been warned.

(2006) 48 min.

http://www.metal-march.com/index.php?p=5&sw=&baid=1152840957&view=1&review=1152841400

It's late at night and I honestly don't know if I'll be able to write a review worthy of this band's complexity. First of all let me warn all those into commercial stuff to stop reading right now because you won't find anything worth your money here.
The name is Scald and they are from Northern Ireland. They were formed back in 1993 and released a considerate number of demos until actually getting signed. I can't talk about their previous work because I know nothing about it, but you can see these guys are label material.

"Vermiculatus" is the name of their latest full-length album, which is also their second. I read somewhere it was also the band's most experimental, innovative and un-commercial project up to date, but I had already mentioned this last part.
First thing I noticed about this album, and which I really hate by the way, is that it has only one track, having this one almost 48 minutes. It just makes it impossible to just pop it up in your stereo if you want to listen to just one song because these kind of albums are usually played from one end to the other. And that would also be quite useful here because the first half of this song is actually quite good, but I can't say the same about the other one. The first is more metal oriented, with some instrumental Sludge/Doom Metal, but the second one is more atmospheric, I don't really know how to put my finger to it, but it has nothing to do with the first half.

Scald turn out to be a weird band. There, I said it. One song only, first half not bad at all, the second not so good. But for some reason they made me curious to check out their other album, so we'll see.

http://www.bloodchamber.de/cd/s/2806/

In düstere Instrumental-Gefilde entführen uns SCALD. Die schwere und dunkle Soundmasse verdichtet sich bei diesem Output zu einem Song, der zwischen sperrigen Progressiv-Ausflügen und Death Metal-Eruptionen tendiert. Doomige Parts enthält das Konglomerat ebenso wie leicht schwebende Akustikebenen, die in Meshuggah ähnlicher Monotonie zelebriert werden.

Der Song unterteilt sich in verschiedene Ebenen, die einerseits klassische Heavy Metal-Elemente beinhalten, doomige und progressive Anleihen besitzen und andererseits auch von effektvollen Synths leben. Es geht verhalten los, bis die Stimmung in schwere Ausbrüche umschlägt, um dann später in die Stille zu pulsen. Bis bedrohlich anmutende Rhythmen noch einmal kurz aufflackern, die in ein weißes Rauschen münden. Elektro-Ambient klingt leise, aber nicht minder finster.

Dieses Projekt scheint sich selbst nicht zu limitieren. Wo andere Bands an ihrer Vielseitigkeit scheitern und keine klare Linie besitzen, kann SCALD verschiedene Einflüsse und Effekte gekonnt kombinieren.
Überraschenderweise langweilt diese Instrumentalplatte nicht so sehr wie manch anderes aus diesem Genre. Falls doch noch ein Shouter hinzu kommen sollte, müsste er perfekt in dieses Musikuniversum passen.

http://www.metallus.it/recensione.asp?id=5402&p=0

Capita a volte di non riuscire a percepire l’essenza di certi ‘disegni’ musicali, talmente anticonvenzionali da rendere arduo un giudizio definitivo. Sorte assimilabile ai nord irlandesi Scald, vista la totale mancanza di similitudini alla loro proposta musical-visiva, materializzatasi nel qui presente ‘Vermiculatus’, platter anticonvenzionale sin dalla scaletta, contraddistinta da un’unica song strumentale di circa 45 primi, a sua volta divisa in tre parti: una ‘elettrica’, una ‘ambient’ ed uno scioccante video a corollario. La definizione ‘progressive post-grind’, inserita nelle note introduttive, non è tuttavia calzante, visti segni distintivi più attigui a certo post-rock di matrice statunitense. Un forte alone mistico è distinguibile per tutta la durata del dischetto, trovando apice nella parte ‘ambientale’, alquanto disturbante nella sua estenuante durata. Alcune assonanze nella struttura sonora, rimandano a certo spleen neurosiano regalando emozioni, ma allo stesso modo appiattendo il tomo su idee già codificate. In definitiva un lavoro di ‘frontiera’, ove l’ispirazione non rende perfettamente giustizia ad un coraggio compositivo ragguardevole, macchiando così l’operato generale. Certamente ‘Vermiculatus’ si pone al di fuori del mercato metallico odierno, ma allo stesso tempo si configura a manifesto di una società moderna decadente e terribilmente ancorata al proprio credo, in cui le aspirazioni umane non svolgono, di fatto, una funzione primaria.

http://www.powermetal.de/cdreview/review-7981.html

Wie soll eine Band klingen, von der selbst die Plattenfirma fast schon warnend behauptet, sie hätte gerade ihr unkommerziellstes Werk herausgebracht - und es sei nicht nötig, diese Musik zu verstehen, sie müsse nur gefühlt werden? Im Fall von SCALD aus Nordirland ist es in der Tat schwer, zu einem objektiven Urteil zu gelangen. Denn die vier Musiker haben nun mit "Vermiculatus" ein Album veröffentlicht, das einen einzigen schleppend-instrumentalen Song von 47 Minuten Länge enthält - also bewusst auf einen Sänger verzichtet. So viel zu den nüchternen Fakten.

Und das Gefühl? Die Klänge auf "Vermiculatus" sind durchaus ansprechend arrangiert. Und geben sich gewollt progressiv. Kaum ein langsames Gitarrenriff, was dem anderen gleicht. Viele Breaks. Viele ausklingende Gitarrenspielereien. Ein paar Keyboards im Hintergrund. Und immer wieder Pausen, die als Start für neue Tonkonstruktionen dienen. Es ist anstrengend, dieser Musik zu folgen. Ihren Akustikparts, ihren plötzlichen Aufwallungen, die nur stückweise bleiben, weil sofort ein neues Thema wieder angespielt wird. Es fehlt der rote Faden. Oder gibt es ihn doch? Liegt er darin, ein Album zu kreieren, welches außer dem Zelebrieren von Langsamkeit in ihren Höhepunkten keine anderen Stimmungen kennt? Minutenlang dumpfen während "Vermiculatus" einfach nur Trommeln im Hintergrund, die von seltsam tiefen elektronischen Beats abgelöst werden. Ist es das Konzept, dass zu solchen Klängen große Ideen in der realen Welt entstehen sollen? Oder wollen SCALD einfach nur verwirren? Es scheint fast so. Denn der zweite Teil von "Vermiculatus" ist laut Plattenfirma schlicht eine ambient-elektronische Rekonstruktion des ersten Teils, der ja noch auf traditionellen Metal-Instrumenten basiert. Auch das auf der CD befindliche Video präsentiert sich als starkstromgeschwängertes Drogenexperiment auf eher experimenteller Ebene, in den Hauptrollen eine CGA-Frau und eine Art fliegender Wurm. Bei Fragen über die Qualität dieses Albums wenden Sie sich bitte an ihre lokale Drogenberatung - oder hören selbst hin. Grenzwertig.

unhinged said:
cool, I've been a bit out of the flow of things lately
done a few interviews, nothing surfaced yet
but I've heard of quite a few people buying it from the end in the states

I hope sales are ok over there too

I bought it...and like it! :D Russell's gonna review it for UM, though. :Smokin:

Also, Paul, you composed the cover art for Stand-Up Guy's "In Fixation, Conspire," right?

circus_brimstone said:
I bought it...and like it! :D Russell's gonna review it for UM, though. :Smokin:

Also, Paul, you composed the cover art for Stand-Up Guy's "In Fixation, Conspire," right?

aye, I did it
actually thats my hand on the cover..

pity the label accepted shitty printing for a discount
its a bit of a mess really
:devil:

http://www.fucine.com/network/fucinemute/core/index.php?url=redir.php?articleid=1332

Fabrizio Garau

Scald: "Vermiculatus"

"Out - out are the lights - out all! / And, over each quivering form, / The curtain, a funeral pall, / Comes down with the rush of a storm, / While the angels, all pallid and wan, / Uprising, unveiling, affirm / That the play is the tragedy, "Man" / And its hero the Conqueror Worm."

Da Edgar Allan Poe, The Conqueror Worm, 1843

Vermiculatus, 1) a forma di verme, 2) lavorato a mosaico, 3) screziato, trapunto finemente

Definizione tratta da Luigi Castiglioni, Scevola Mariotti, IL Vocabolario della lingua latina

Non può andare avanti così. Qualcosa non funziona nelle nostre teste. Non ci molla mai e lascia segni sul nostro volto insonne. Siamo Jeff Goldblum ne "La Mosca" e ci guardiamo allo specchio.

Sì.

Adesso siamo quello che ci sta crescendo dentro. Il nostro cambiamento fisico – è un circolo vizioso – ci convince che siamo malati, accelerando così la nostra fine. Ammesso (e non concesso) che quella che noi chiamiamo "malattia", non sia invece la nostra condizione naturale, ammesso (e non concesso) che "salute" e "malattia" non siano solo punti di vista.
È così da quando siamo nati, continuerà in seguito, finché – stremati - non ci spegneremo.
Questo è "Vermiculatus", quarantasette minuti e ventotto secondi per descrivere la "tragedia umana". Niente voce, niente testi: oltre al suono c’è solo la forza evocativa dell’immagine, sia essa statica, come nel caso dell’eccellente artwork, sia essa in movimento, come nel caso del filmato contenuto nell’album. Una delle grandi fortune degli Scald si chiama Paul McCarroll (batteria, elettronica), che si muove anche nell’ambito delle cosiddette "arti visive", pescando in un immaginario che sarebbe riduttivo definire splatter/horror, specie se si considera lo splatter solo disgusto e non anche e soprattutto provocazione. È così dunque che gli Scald riescono a raggiungere una sorta di "unità d’effetto" indipendentemente dal medium utilizzato.
Il resto (la maggior parte) lo fa la musica dei "tre più uno" di Belfast. La prima mezzora è la sintesi degli opposti: l’immediatezza punk dilatata fino a raggiungere dimensioni progressive, o forse jazz. Gli Scald rappresentano il verme che all’improvviso scava nel nostro cervello alternando momenti di calma, nei quali la chitarra suona scarna, a esplosioni grind e soffocanti riff death metal. Talvolta le parti leggere e quelle pesanti sono le stesse, solo proposte in un crescendo di distorsione e amplificazione. In questa prima parte non c’è di fatto nessuna ripetizione o nessun riff portante (o qualsiasi cosa che funga da guida), ma solo lunghe tessiture che ricordano il movimento post-rock e richiamano alla mente gli Isis, con i quali Pete e soci condividono il rifiuto della forma-canzone e il sangue misto: Neurosis, metal, tastiere discrete ma fondamentali, qualche reminiscenza dei Pink Floyd. Probabilmente gli Scald, interessati più all’aspetto cronenberghiano dell’aggettivo, non sanno che "Vermiculatus" significhi in terza battuta anche "trapunto finemente", eppure – magia (solo magia?) delle parole – hanno proprio cucito insieme violenze, orlandole d’ambient. Nel corso dell’ultimo quarto d’ora la parte rock viene infatti ri-presa e ri-pensata elettronicamente. Qui ciascuno potrà trovare diversi riferimenti: il primo ovviamente è a quel "più uno", ovvero il tastierista Glyn Smyth, e ai suoi frammenti ambientali presenti in "Headworm", penultimo disco del gruppo che rappresenta, per utilizzare una metafora biologica e dunque scaldiana, uno dei germi di Vermiculatus. Altri troveranno similitudini con certi Coil, di sicuro col filone dark ambient della Cold Meat Industry; chi ascolta metal magari penserà a "Disguised Masters" degli Arcturus, dove le chitarre erano ancora lì, del tutto irriconoscibili, stravolte dal trattamento elettronico.

"Vermiculatus" è un disco coraggioso, completo e ostico. Necessita di quarantasette minuti e ventotto secondi della vostra attenzione, e di qualche momento successivo per rifletterci su. Non dovrebbe assolutamente sfuggire a chi si è lasciato affascinare dai succitati Isis e dagli Jesu di Justin Broadrick (Napalm Death, Godflesh), oltre che dagli ultimi Ephel Duath. Parimenti coraggiosa è la code666, ormai etichetta d’avanguardia maniacalmente dedita alla pubblicazione di band dall’identità di frontiera, vittime di radiazioni creative, creature transgeniche (transoniche) come gli Scald, apolidi che si trovano al confine di più mondi musicali, non a caso – nella realtà e fuori dalle metafore - atei in una terra di fanatici.

L’eroe è il verme trionfante.

pity no English version but theres a short interview here

http://www.fucine.com/archivio/fm85/eng_scald.htm

and in italian

http://www.fucine.com/archivio/fm85/scald.htm

thanks to Fabrizio

http://www.harm.us/main/

For the ones that are familiar with underground label Code666, they know when they see a new release, that it's not going to be an ordinary type of music or copycat. Avant-garde, adventurous and daring are the words describing the label and its artists. Scald is hailing from Ireland and this new album called Vermiculatus goes very well with the philosophy of the label because it is daring. Made of one single track, instrumental of course, this album takes you from nowhere and leaves you in the middle of nowhere! Abstract, progressive opus with a soundtrack feel. Moving from calm/ ambient to heavy / intense with dark passages reminiscent to King Crimson, Scald is then twisting into the spaced out/ psychedelic realm. The result of all this is some sort of darken industrial décor in its last 15minutes or so. Not an easy listen, especially in one sitting but still a pretty intriguing one if you happen to have an open mind, artistic ear and a liking for the weirdness found in the music world.
7.5 /10

unhinged said:
aye, I did it
actually thats my hand on the cover..

pity the label accepted shitty printing for a discount
its a bit of a mess really
:devil:

I mentioned Scald and you in the review of "In Fixation, Conspire," which I just reviewed for MR. It's on the frontpage, and the link's in my sig. :Smokin:

nice one..thier label should be chuffed with that...heh

"Burning Paper in Bleeding Hand," is the correct title by the way

they have another new drummer and I've heard from the other scaldites who saw them recently that theyre going for a tighter more metallic approach

good band.
hopefully thier next one will be a bit more original