Schecter Loomis Resonance Problem

Pman

Feb 18, 2006
UK
www.facebook.com
So a few months ago I finally got my hands on a Schecter Loomis FR7 (from ebay).
I've only really had a chance to play it in the last couple of months and although i absolutely love the playability of it, i'm having some serious resonance problems with the sound.

I have replaced the stock EMG 707 with the 81-7 from my cheap Ibanez RG7.
The tone instantly became much better but there is some horrible honky resonance when i play the open E (second thickest since it's a 7 string).

I've done a quick video here with the cab mic'ed with a 57 so the audio on the video is the raw 57.

Basically as you can see there is some horrible honkiness when i start chugging the E string at 0:20.

At 1:18 I play the same note but on the B string, ruling out its the note in particular.

There is also some high frequency feedback or something going on when i play the C# note/4th fret on the A string at 0:39 and 0:43

Can anybody shed some light on what is going on?
I reckon I am going to have to sell the guitar as this is obviously completely unusable if I am unable to find a solution.

If anyone has any input i'd really appreciate it! :kickass:

Cheers for watching.
I have included the raw 57 audio and the DI of that video audio here:
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/jmxcu64daal4l7d/LoomisSM57.wav
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/y8fs6jgd7vyg9bj/LoomisDI.wav

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the string is ringing behind the nut to me. To test if it is that just press down on the E string behind the nut like you are fretting the string. If the noise goes away then that is your problem

You want something to dampen it if that is the case. There are a few ways to dampen it with foam, electrical tape, hair bands etc. You can even buy string dampeners but they are quite overpriced for what is technically just a bit of foam.

As for the 4th fret problem. It's more than likely fret buzz. Try raising the saddles a tiny bit to see if it goes away.

It could also be the the floyd rose springs inside the guitar.

Can't watch the video but it's most likely this. Easy thing to fix, just dampen them with something. I had that problem and damping them fixed it.

Cheers for the replies.
I tried dampening the nut last night and the springs just now but neither stopped the sound.
I thought it might have been something like that earlier on but neither the springs nor were the strings above the nut resonating so i just discounted it.

I've restrung it recently but I hadn't played it through a real amp with the old strings/and 81-7. Only just through my pod, and if i play it now through my pod, the sound isn't overly obvious.

Is one of the saddles perhaps too loose? Maybe try tightening alle the little screws and bolts on the trem as well as the attachment of the locking nut to the neck.

It's strange that neither dampening the nut or the springs has had any effect. Check everything on the guitar that isn't made out of wood basically, Dampen it with your hand or whatever until you find the problem.

With it only happening on the open E string then I think going with Skadsson's suggestion is the first thing to try.

Hi, just as viralz said, this is a nasty resonance caused by the spring from the floyd rose.

The solution is : change your string with another brand ! Yes, it could seem strange, but it is !

In some case, especially with active PU, the combinaison of wood + string + PU + floyd cause a resonance phenomena in the floyd spring, audible to the PU.

Thanks for the further responses guys.
I've been busy for a few days so haven't had a chance to try anything new with it.
Just tried the guitar again now again trying to dampen the springs and everything possible but the resonance remains.
Just got a pack of d'addarios to put on. Using Ernie Balls currently. Going to restring now and hopefully that'll fix the problem.

If anyone's interested, did a successful recording with the guitar. Did it in 15 mins, minimal EQ

Setup is:
Schecter Loomis and TLAudio C-1 Compressor Test
Guitars x2, L100-R100:
Schecter Loomis 7FR (emg 81)>Ibanez TS9>5150 2x12 Combo (Celestion V30)>SM57>DAW>TLAudio C-1>DAW
Bass:
Washburn t5>TLAudio C-1>DAW>Sansamp PS-1 (RTAS)
Drums:
Toontrack Superior Drummer EZX Metal Machine Preprogrammed Groove

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah sorry ha. :wave:
The guitar at the time had a pack of ernie ball 10-56 and was tuned to E
It's now tuned to D# [A#] (my preferred tuning) and i used a pack of d'addario's 11-50 with an additional d'addario 60, and there is still a slight resonant sound but it didn't seem too obvious in the recording which is great news! :D
Cheers for the help everyone!

Try screwing the string retainer down a little snugger. If that doesn't work then get yourself some rubber coated springs for your floyd rose dude.

Check out FU-Tone.com. They have decent products for that.

I didn't really heard some real badness on 7th sting, but that 6th string had really nasty ring on. It really makes think, that something is vibrating, what couldn't vibrate on other strings.
It would easier to hear if you played notes around that note, than on note, than how it sound on 7th string + other octaves.