Scott Burns Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman720 View Post
........, i will say i think Death Human is the best record he ever produced and Deaths best material. Just imagine if it sounded as good as symbolic. There would almost be no reason to go on! Heh

Well, I really wouldn't want "Human" to sound any other way... I just wish bass guitar was a bit more pronounced but that's all basically.
The productions of the day had a certain charm and sonic diversity that I find lacking in many productions of today...

+ 1000000000000

Hey James...love reading how things went down back then here's a story for you guys. when Obituary was touring the COD album, the guys in my band and I, huge fans of Obituary went to that show at the Showcase in San Antonio....do you remember that James:headbang: well after their set Trevor comes up behind my wife and I and asked what did we think. my wife had never seen or heard of Obituary takes one look at Trevor and is about scared out of her mind. he was scary looking back then. but he was really really cool.

Waking the dead topic here, but haven't found anywhere what equipment was used on classic death metal albums Scott produced...

Some guitar sounds share the same characteristic so I suppose the same cab/head and miking technique was used... But I'm really keen to know what the early guys used to achieve the most brutal guitar sound back then... :)

Solid state/Valve state amps.

Well I've concluded more/less the same, but that answer is too general.
Anyone have any details, like amp models, cabs, overdrives, distortions?
Like, I know Chuck used Marshall Valvestate VS100R head for ITP and later recordings, but what did he use before? The guys from Obituary, they had a very particular guitar sound, what was the signal chain?
And Cannibal Corpse's Bleeding and earlier works?
Must say I much prefer Bleeding's guitar sound to their modern oversaturated tones...

What other Morrisound/Burns bands used interests me as well... I suppose it was 2-3 combinations that did the trick since there are sounds on different bands' albums that have some similarities...

Tnx!

Ampeg VH140C - Effigy of The Forgotten, Considered Dead and The Erosion Of Sanity.
Obituary have always used RAT pedals into Marshalls (don't know which) afaik, don't know whether they actually use the tone knob trick either.
Cannibal Corpse used to use Crate GX130c's, definitely on The Bleeding, and I think on everything from Butchered.. to Vile.
The GX130c is essentially the same as the VH140c, just a different power amp.
I always thought that chuck used the 8100 though...

http://www.cynicalsphere.com/focusgear.html
I don't know how much of that^ is correct.

Ampeg VH140C - Effigy of The Forgotten, Considered Dead and The Erosion Of Sanity.
Obituary have always used RAT pedals into Marshalls (don't know which) afaik, don't know whether they actually use the tone knob trick either.
Cannibal Corpse used to use Crate GX130c's, definitely on The Bleeding, and I think on everything from Butchered.. to Vile.
The GX130c is essentially the same as the VH140c, just a different power amp.

Wow, talk about details... :worship:
Thanks man! :headbang:

I always thought that chuck used the 8100 though...

You thought well, as 8100 in fact IS VS100R :)

Scott is a fucking legend. But "Human" is definetely one of his worst works. The 2011 remix shows that he had absolutely top-notch source material, which he turned into a quiet, woofy-ass guitars, clicky-ass drums, no bass mix - death metal's AJFA. The remix finally did "Human" justice (no pun.). "Focus" sounds good for what it was - imagine having to mix so many tracks of weird awesome shit in 1993. But I'm dying each day to hear a 2012 remix. The moneymaker about Scott's productions for me is that it captures the perfect vibe for the genre. I'd rather listen to "Retribution" than most of today's death metal solely because of its thick, raw, breathing sound. Thankfully many of those bands are still live and kickin' two decades later and you can hear these songs live with the best equipment there is. I recently saw Malevolent Creation, Vital Remains and Krisiun live - all three bands sounded glorious, especially Phil Fasciana through dat Laboga head... \m/

I think his worst work was Tortured Existence. While it does have a nice charm to it, the drums sound like they were recorded at different times, in different studios, in different continents. The drums sound really disconnected and it bugs the hell out of me. Regardless, Burns was a good engineer, and made some very good records, and his style perfectly represented the bands at the time.

I don't agree with the Human comment. Sure, it has its flaws, but what's amazing about that mix to me is that, although guitars are heavily scooped, you can still hear both - them and bass guitar. I like it.

I don't agree with the Human comment. Sure, it has its flaws, but what's amazing about that mix to me is that, although guitars are heavily scooped, you can still hear both - them and bass guitar. I like it.

I liked the drums on that album. When the double bass kicked in, it sounded like it was tearing everything apart, and made it so heavy.