scraping the bottom of the barrel

Mysterium and Ewigheim

lol yeah, memories. The Legacy hype was real around these bands. Mysterium was not half bad. Only a quarter or so. There was some really good stuff in there too, (early-)Autumnblaze, (early-)Blazing Eternity... but yeah I guess most of these CDs fit the purpose of this here thread.

they'd send and charge you for every album they released

I don't remember this, but yes, sounds like the type of stunt Prophecy would pull, they always were at the fore of community service and more or less shady business models. :lol:

Yeah, I purposefully didn't include Blazing Eternity in the initial post as I do remember liking both of their full-lengths quite a bit. I ordered an Empyrium shirt in the last year and they sent me some CD by The Loveless, for free. I assume they are trying to make space in their warehouse. I threw it straight in the bin to be honest.

Eminenz was mocked a lot for their terrible taste even in Germany, which is something you have to work hard for. Can't say I hate this album but man, these choir synths are waaaaay too much after about half a song. And they NEVER stop. Also who remembers that label, Last Episode? They used to have shittons of these 3rd-4th rate German bands and would always manage to get them an opening slot on every random tour back in the early 00's. I called them merch time bands.
oh man, what was that terrible german band that was the butt of every joke and target of every death threat back in the day

MYSTIC CIRCLE

wasn't that on last episode as well? got anything by them?

p.s. eminenz sucks, but in a kind of charming way, i mean it's old enough that this sound is kind of nostalgic no matter how poorly executed

oh can we talk about prophecy bargain bins because you know i have all the mysterium, paragon of beauty, autumnblaze, 3rd and the mortal way past anyone cared, blazing eternity, etc etc etc

BUT I ACTUALLY UNIRONICALLY LOVE PARAGON OF BEAUTY. let's do the whole discography because all of it is bargain basement and literally no living human cares except me. and i know i've posted about them here before but fuck it.

paragon of beauty "the spring" (median value $4.20 smoke weed every day)

i mean okay these are some germans in frilly shirts being SUPER ROMANTIC and EXTREMELY DRAMATIC and writing songs called "oh dear beloved marblequeen". which reminds me, we need to talk about NIGHT IN GALES. but anyway... this is basically the first empyrium album but a little bit more gothic and it kind of wants to be "skydancer" at times. but i love it because it feels so genuine and fragile and wears its Big Dumb Emotions with pride. it's not actually that good but i really like it. does that make sense?

paragon of beauty "seraphine... far gone gleam" (median value $5.07)

this song is probably their most palatable to most people. it's pretty much "dance of december souls" but more theatrical. LYRICS EXCERPT: "who dared to kiss a jester's hand / while he raped my drunken violin?" but really honestly this is a very good death/doom song. the rest of the EP is mostly a bunch of shit i don't care about including a FISH cover (you know, the first singer from marillion) but i think this EP is worth getting at this price just for the first song. it's literally on discogs for $0.76 as we speak. why not, right?

paragon of beauty "comfort me, infinity" (median value $5.56)

the first three songs on this ("this impossible moment"/"one step into nothingness"/"yonder thy primrose path, my shuddered face" [yes, that is the title of the song]) are genuinely some of the best ersatz katatonia (thanks bert) on the planet. a 1-2-3 punch of just really fucking solid songwriting. the production sucks, the lyrics are slightly toned down but still ridiculous, and the vocals are still over the top, but fucking hell dude when 5:17 and then 5:47 hits in the linked song it is a Moment worthy of the Moments thread. if you listen to one song from me in this thread all the way through, make it this one. open your mind and let the german Feelings envelop you. thanks.

---- intermission ----

doom you should maybe not have tossed THE LOVELESS, it's genuinely pretty good -- it's kim larsen from saturnus and maybe a couple other saturnus members doing goth/shoegaze/rock n roll. but yes it definitely fits this thread. (median value $3.75)

wasn't that on last episode as well? got anything by them?

Yes and no. But I remember liking one song off the Drachenblut album (the one that was on every sampler, hurray for pre-Youtube days) and thinking hmm I might want to get this. I didn't, and later realized how much of a sensible decision it was.

german Feelings

lol

Agree wholeheartedly with the Paragon of Beauty guilty love. Well, make it non guilty. One of my fondest concert memories was a Prophecy bill of Paragon of Beauty/Blazing Eternity/Dornenreich in Bielefeld. I slept that night on a bench at the railway station. I'm sure doing this nowadays is asking for murder or worse.

Reactions: einride
Spotify "monthly listens" is also a pretty good metric for judging this stuff. Paragon of Beauty for example have just 79. I'm assuming most of those are Erik :tickled:

Last edited:
Reactions: einride
lol

Agree wholeheartedly with the Paragon of Beauty guilty love. Well, make it non guilty. One of my fondest concert memories was a Prophecy bill of Paragon of Beauty/Blazing Eternity/Dornenreich in Bielefeld. I slept that night on a bench at the railway station. I'm sure doing this nowadays is asking for murder or worse.
dude i went to copenhagen in 2006 to see agalloch/saturnus/novembers doom on the "ashes" tour, it was the first time agalloch came to europe but they skipped sweden so i felt i had to go to denmark

and i was of course a dumb and poor 20-year old not about to spend money on something as stupid as a hotel, so my original plan was to sleep at the airport, but it turned out that i had locked my bag in the railway station's lockers and the lockers didn't open at night for whatever dumbfuck reason so i ended up having to go with plan B: sleep at the railway station

but when i got there after the concert and sat down on a bench it only took a few minutes for a very aggressive-looking guy clearly on cocaine or something to walk straight towards me, yelling in danish and shoving furniture and stuff around while locking eyes with me, it was a very threatening situation so i yeeted outta there as quick as possible

spent the entire night just fucking wandering around copenhagen, i didn't really feel safe anywhere so i kept walking. eventually ended up in an industrial kind of area on the outskirts where i just sat and froze my butt off on a bus stop bench. i was spoiled by smaller, safer swedish cities but copenhagen gets pretty sketchy at night i found. people tried selling me drugs and shit. it sucked but in retrospect, at least it's a memory, right?

o the follies of youth

Reactions: Ellestin
I have a glorious Copenhagen anecdote about rescuing a very drunk friend from the claws of a hooker just as he was about to pull out..... a couple hundred bucks from his wallet I guess. I kinda like the city but it's indeed a number too big. Wandering Krakow at night was much nicer I found, possibly my favourite big-ish European city.

I also still owe Hell Mike's kids a box of random things from probably 8 years ago now. I'll have to adjust to teenage taste by the time I get that wrapped up.
I don't really know what you are talking about, but Dis turns twelve in two days so at current speed you better aim for first own apartment stuff or maybe just feel the chill and my grandkids can have that stuff. And maybe deliver it in person, that would be neat

Mike, the box of random things you sent me back in the day was quite a laugh and if I was supposed to send one back I dropped the ball.