SCUM SIX: Fake Names

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Whether it is the (then) youthful naïveté of "Cronos," "Quorthon," and "Tom G. Warrior," more skilled musicians like "Trey Azagthoth," "Tchort," and "Fiery G. Maelstrom," or the symbolic use of names like "Transcendental Protagonist," the use of stage names runs rampant throughout heavy metal. I've always had the opinion that the use of these names is quite childish (and ask me someday about the attempt I made to write LotFP under a ridiculous name), and I never understood why someone wouldn't just put their name on something that they created.

There are practical applications of the pseudonym. I imagine a musician does not want some freak looking their name up in the phone book or the internet and calling them at all hours of the night, knocking on the door, or perhaps doing those things to someone who has their same name in their town. After all, you never know when someone really wants to impress Jodie Foster. Being heavy metal does not mean being stupid or impractical so it is hardly fair to criticize artists for going this route. It would be easier to swallow if their stage names were something that could believably be found on a driver's license.

Pseudonyms probably caused at least some delay in the identification of certain criminals in the Norwegian heavy metal scene in the early 90s. I suspect many race-baiting musicians attempt to avoid unexpected confrontations by recording under fake names. I know musicians have used pseudonyms on recordings before because they were prevented by contractual agreement to not appear on unapproved work. There is a legal element at work.

I suspect most using fake names do not do so for legal or practical reasons. They just like using funny names. They do not do so to make themselves anonymous, because they still appear in photographs and concerts, use the same pseudonym on any number of projects, and some do not even hide their real names even when using their pseudonyms.

To make such a change simply on an album sleeve (like these people really change their names…) reeks of many things, but the scent of authenticity is missing. Just put your damn name on the album and let your music make your statement.