SD-1 or TS7?

JMarz

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2008
Minnesota, US
www.facebook.com
Title, simple e-fuckingnough. I'm buying one next week.

Ryan's (Catharsis) trying to talk me into buying an SD-1, but good god with the clips he's given me, it sounds like the thing sucks WAY too much tone out of the amp with drive on 0 and everything else maxed.

TS7 on the other hand is the exact same price and, well, is a TubeScreamer.

What the fuck should I get?

i dunno i like both, i have a mxr ZW44 (modded SD1) and maxon 808.

ive noticed the Zw44 gives a thicker tone, it seems to round out and define the lows more, rather than cutting them like a TS does. from my understanding you can easily mod a sd1 to zw specs if you want.

ive never heard a TS7 directly, but ive only compared my 808 to a ibanez ts9 and there is a slight difference in tone, its barely noticeable, but the maxon was much smoother in tone, where as the ts9 was more on the darker side of things.

i use both for mesa dual rec and 5150 II. but for me its comes down to that i like how the mxr can make much more impact on tone, while the TS just enhances what already there, so i like to have both.

Nothing to say besides the fact that it works great for me dude! Check out JBroll's TS FAQ, where he confirms through his nerdy tinkering that it's the same as a TS9 except for the housing! (although Lasse says the TS9 uses higher quality components, but one thing I am certain of is that it's the exact same "coveted" op-amp, the JRC4558, in my TS7, and that's the one that the product descriptions for like the 808 on musiciansfriend.com go on and on about) Even if there is a slight quality difference in components when you go to the high falutin' Tube Screamer variants, so much of it is mojo bullshit to prey on stupid guitarists! (and they wouldn't charge those prices if it didn't work, sadly - PT Barnum speaks the troof, there's a sucker born every minute!)

he's like sleeping on in school and someone is saying dual rec.....he's like
FUCK MY MESA SENSES ARE TINGLING>

You mean ESPECIALLY in my penis! :headbang: :lol: And as for chips Jess, definitely peruse that thread for the Broll's wisdom, but the stock 4558 works fine for me!

Oh god....another "my 808 sounds slightly better than my TS9" possible thread :lol:

Fuck all that nonsense. Look, the TS9 and TS7 are the same shit - close enough to say there shouldn't be a discussion about it, just fucking pick one and go, they are the same. The damn cork-sniffing internet hooey really gets old.

Also, on topic, personally I'd get a TubeScreamer, either a 7 or 9 (I own a 9 already) if I were in your shoes. Reason? Well, how many SD clones do you see running around as opposed to TS clones? And...isn't it the TubeSceamer's filtering qualities what everyone talks about and wants? 'nuff said IMO.

I had to say something here, I know it's an oldish thread but bear with me.

I know that in this forum everyone follows the TS into 5150 way to get tone, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other ways of doing things. I prefer the SD-1 as a boost. It gives me an edgier sound; if you boost a marshall with an SD-1 you get instant Kerry King tone. The ZW-44 is basically the japanese version of SD-1, excellent overdrive, countless times better than any TS. But as a boost you might as well use a stock SD-1. Andy is awesome but you don't need to copy everything he does.

I had to say something here, I know it's an oldish thread but bear with me.

I know that in this forum everyone follows the TS into 5150 way to get tone, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other ways of doing things. I prefer the SD-1 as a boost. It gives me an edgier sound; if you boost a marshall with an SD-1 you get instant Kerry King tone. The ZW-44 is basically the japanese version of SD-1, excellent overdrive, countless times better than any TS. But as a boost you might as well use a stock SD-1. Andy is awesome but you don't need to copy everything he does.

I don't, as far as I know.

IherduliekdTS9

I just recently picked up a "NEW' TS-7 w/ Ibanez Power Supply for $35.00 (including free shipping) off of eBay. Great deal so I snapped it up immediately.

Hey all. I'm not Andy Sneap but I do play him on tv! Anyhoo in my last rig I ran a SD-1, TS-9 and a TS-7 as pre-boost/eqs. There are definite differences between them but they all work well. The SD-1 and TS-9 are very similar except for two things: 1) the SD-1 has less of a mid hump and more bass than the TS-9 and 2) the SD-1 uses asymmetrical gain where the TS-9 uses symmentrical. The end result is that the SD-1 is gainier, has more hair in the gain and has more volume in output.

I was using them with my Marshall 6100LM head and tended to use the SD-1 for rhythms as it kept a tight low end but didn't suck as much bass out of the tone. The TS-9 was used for leads as it was more focused for single notes than the SD-1 and the TS-7 was set as a milder boost with a slightly different tone setting for leads or cascading into the TS-9.

For the price of the SD-1 I think you should get one too.