Searching for a little Metal amp (VHT 6 Special Ultra + ts 808 in the crosshairs)

Rius

New Metal Member
Aug 6, 2011
Hi everyone!

I was planing getting a VHT 6 Special Ultra head

http://www.vhtamp.com/products/the-special-series/special-6-ultra-head

I have an Engl Savage 120 for rehearsals and live, and I'm looking for something little and portable, for fast "plug&play" home playing, and some other kind of alternative uses (little pubs, etc)

I'm a metal guy, and I'm assuming that the VHT will not going beyond rock/soft heavy tones... so I have a TS 808 and a MXR 10 band eq for trying to reach the "metal zone" :devil:

I really love the loop effects thing on this little cheap head. A Class amp, point to point hand wired, a very "clean" pcb for modding purposes... I haven't found anything close to this head near the price range.

BUT before the buy, I would know if there is something out there more focussed to the
"metal thing", or simply more interesting, even if an extra economical effort were needed (second hand is always an option).

I really don'k like the little Orange sound (tiny, dual terror). Also tried some "little" Blackstars... nothing surprising in the tone, NO FX loop, and pedals are still needed for getting a metal tone..

All suggestions are really wellcome :)

Just got an EVH 5150 iii mini 50w. It slays. Wicked metal tones, no boost required. Fx loop and midi controllable.

Plenty of clips of the 100w which sound the same as the 50w.

The other I would suggest for portability is the Carvin V3 mini. Sounds pretty killer as well, way more versatile. I prefer the character of the 5153 for metal.

5150 III mini and Krank Rev Jr would slay the VHT for those tones. The VHT is no where near a metal amp, its likely not even the VHT you're thinking of (original VHT amps are now Fryette, the current VHT is what used to be AXL).

Yes, the Special 6 is handwired... In a sweatshop in China :p

Mini Rectifier? Or the mini Krank Revolution? I haven't used either so I'm just spit-balling here.
Mini Recto is out of budget here in Europe, and there is something wicked with the Krank dealers here again... almost impossible getting a brand new one from shop.

"metal zone" lol

By Thy Olde Gods and the New!! Not the pedal! :lol:

Just got an EVH 5150 iii mini 50w. It slays. Wicked metal tones, no boost required. Fx loop and midi controllable.

Plenty of clips of the 100w which sound the same as the 50w.

The other I would suggest for portability is the Carvin V3 mini. Sounds pretty killer as well, way more versatile. I prefer the character of the 5153 for metal.
Man, I'm in fucking love with the 5150 mini... I wasn't planning spending more than a few euros, but the ghost of the 5150 III mini is striking back :devil:

5150 III mini and Krank Rev Jr would slay the VHT for those tones. The VHT is no where near a metal amp, its likely not even the VHT you're thinking of (original VHT amps are now Fryette, the current VHT is what used to be AXL).

Yes, the Special 6 is handwired... In a sweatshop in China :p
:D I know I know... the VHT Special Ultra thing is some kind of a fuc**** GAS attack... I really was needing this kind of answers to get into the right way: saving a little more money, and getting into the 5150min/Krank Jr path :devil:

Still accepting suggestions. Appreciate very much all your help guys!

AMT Stonehead, dude! Check out Ola's demo/playthrough, it sounds ridiculous!
Thanks man!

There's a big problem with Ola's video stuff: everything on the earth sounds well in Ola's mix context. I'm talking of this:

In the playthrough AMT video, there's a good sounding amp (still with the Ola's "magic touch")... but not so good to pay 535€ for a 50w solid state head, whereas the 5153 50 it's only 350€ beyond, IMO.

I'll keep on researching and saving money for the 5150iii till the 888€ were joint, or something more interesting gets in my path :)

Thanks again! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator: