Seasonal beers - Fall

JenniferLynn

AKA Irish
Sep 26, 2004
Sterling VA
Well it's that time of year all... Octoberfests have been out for a couple weeks here but for me the Pumpkin Ales are out and this is the year I'm determined to try one...

That being said, Wegman's is stockpiled with about 8 - 10 different choices. The ones I remember - Dogfish Head, Icabod, Jack's... They had them all nice n' lined up, waiting to be taken home with my dinner... But I abstained; I dunno which is good. I've heard DFH is really good but I wanted to ask the beer connoisseurs - what to check out, what to stay away from (even if the packaging is bad ass!!) and what to look out for that must be tried..

(Again, I'd like to apologize to Nailz for not bringing the Gouden Carlous - I will bring it next time!!!)

Jack's is owned by Anheuser-Busch/InBev. Easy one to skip on as I don't think it's considered that good. Ichabod doesn't seem to be rated that much better. Dogfish Head would probably be the way to go depending on what else is there.

I'm not a big Pumpkin ale fan but these are all highly rated on beeradvocate:
Southern Tier Brewing Company Pumpking
Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
Cambridge Brewing Great Pumpkin Ale

So far I have had:

Leinie's Octoberfest
Sam Adams Octoberfest
Breckenridge Autumn Ale

All are excellent so far. I hadnt had the Breckenridge before and it is very refreshing actually a better afternoon style beer.

I'm just looking forward to Goose Island's Harvest Ale, its a fantastic brew.

Hoptobers were the beers that we had in our fridges for the fest, its a solid release from New Belgium.

If only there were as many options for us dark beer lovers.

Oh there is lots of great dark beers out there you should hit Binny's, they have tastings from time to time.

Some good ones to try:
Guinness 250
Goose Island Oatmeal Stout or Trader Joes Stockyard Stout same thing $2
cheaper.
Goose Island Hexnut Brown Ale
Bell's Double Cream Stout
Bell's Porter
Red Hook Double Black Coffee Stout
Left Hand Milk Stout
Left Hand Deep Cover
Ska Brewing Company - Buster Nut Brown Ale
My homebrewed Weizenbock

Just head over to Sweetwater tavern and try their Pumpkin Ale. It comes with spice rimming the glass. Unfortunately, it probably won't be on tap until October.