The Beer Paradox

Kaosaur

Apr 8, 2006
Bluffton, SC
http://www.arthurshall.com/x_2006_beer_paradox.shtml

This is an article for all the REAL MEN out there who LOVE BEER!

Excerpt:
What exactly is The Beer Paradox ? Simply put, as the American middle class shifted their drinking tastes away from traditional ales, they left behind the proud brewing traditions of our forefathers to be picked up by urban metro-sexual types. What Americans now see as the everyman's beer...(Coors, Bud, MGD etc.) is actually less manly than the urban metro-sexual's favorite craft brew. This is the Beer Paradox . In a world where the strong can take whatever they want with force, how did this ever happen? How did the big-city sissy ever come to claim the manly brews of our forefathers? I'll tell you how... We let it happen !

They want their beer to taste like soda (Pepsi, Coke) and want a sweeter beer, not bitter. Also, brand name status is everything. The beers suck, but "everyone" drinks them because its cool (not really everyone, just those who want to be with the "in" crowd)

I am outside of any of this nonsense (not about the post or replies, but the article.) I am not a "beer snob". I am a "beer enthusiast." My personal favorites are really hoppy beers ala IPA's, golden ales etc. I really enjoy the Sweetwater 420 extra Pale Ale, the Anchor Liberty Ale and the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale just to name a few. However, I wouldn't turn my nose up to a Natural Light if someone offered me one. Beer is what it is.
Why is the gravity (alcohol content) of the beer so important as well ? If one's intention of drinking beer is solely to get drunk.... drink liquor instead. I thnk there are misconceptions about the alcohol content of American macros as compared to the more common light Euro lagers. They are, in fact, quite similar in taste and alcohol content.
I think the whole American boutique beer industry is a definite plus for beer drinkers who prefer alternatives to the similar tasting lagers that were once all that could be found by most consumers. However, it has created monsters as well. The more exotic and expensive brews also find their way into vanity driven consumers that drink them for reasons other than personal enjoyment. If that is what "floats their boat" then I have no problem with that, but I am happy that I try and impress me. Man..... I love me some me...... but not in a bad way mind you. ^_____^

Bryant

newcastle, guinness, and if you want strong, I love Maredsous(I think I spelled it wrong, but I believe it is 10%, and it is smooth), hobgoblin is another favorite, lawnmower is good, dogfish is awesome as well, I am a huge beer nut, but I will take maker's mark whiskey anyday or a good scotch

So, let me get this straight. The premise here is that the stronger the
taste and the higher the alcohol content, the more manly the drink is?

The obvious conclusion is that beer is for wimps. Real men drink whisky.

Huge Hoppy/IPA fanatic here. I have tried over 75 different IPA's and DIPA's.

I have some stupid videos on youtube chugging a few (dont ask how I started doing this nonsense haha)

http://www.youtube.com/themetalmadman

One of my current favs...

HIGHTIDE.jpg

I enjoy quality beers when that's what I'm looking for. I enjoy shitty beers when I'm looking to get drunk and there's nothing else around. Frankly, none of the beers I truly enjoy lend themselves to being consumed at high volumes for an extended period of time, and thus the shitty lite beer does serve a purpose for me.

Real men drink Scotch...single malt...

:kickass:

As far as beer goes.... Other than Golden Monkey (A Belgian style American micro-brew), I generally wont bother with American beer.... It's either Chimay Grand Reserve (Belgian trappist ale) or a good German hefe weizen for me.... Hell, I'll even drink Corona (My standard at Jaxx) before I ever consider drinking standard American "beer"....

Life is too short to waste it on drinking crappy beer!!!!

As far as beer goes.... Other than Golden Monkey (A Belgian style American micro-brew), I generally wont bother with American beer.... It's either Chimay Grand Reserve (Belgian trappist ale) or a good German hefe weizen for me.... Hell, I'll even drink Corona (My standard at Jaxx) before I ever consider drinking standard American "beer"....

Yeah Victory makes that. They also make my favorite beer HOP WALLOP (Which is seasonal as opposed to the year round HOP DEVIL).

I dont drink any of the domestic piss. Only mainstream beers I'll drink are Sam Adams, Harpoon IPA, and Sierra Nevada.

Other than that Im a Microbrew fanatic.

Corona? How is that better than American beer?

You're like my wife who only drinks dark beer. I just love going to a venue where they don't serve what she likes. It gives me the chance to say, "Sucks to be you." If I drink any beer, it's gonna be standard American "beer". I can get it anywhere.

Yeah Victory makes that. They also make my favorite beer HOP WALLOP (Which is seasonal as opposed to the year round HOP DEVIL).

I dont drink any of the domestic piss. Only mainstream beers I'll drink are Sam Adams, Harpoon IPA, and Sierra Nevada.

Other than that Im a Microbrew fanatic.

I tried hop devil but did not enjoy it as much as the golden monkey.... I've never seen the hop wallop....

Corona? How is that better than American beer?

You're like my wife who only drinks dark beer. I just love going to a venue where they don't serve what she likes. It gives me the chance to say, "Sucks to be you." If I drink any beer, it's gonna be standard American "beer". I can get it anywhere.

Corona tastes better than the average non micro brewed American beer for one.... As far as your wife only drinking dark beer.... If I meet you two in Atlanta next year, she is more than welcome to hang out and have a Chimay or two.... You can drink your standard American "beer".... :lol:

Almost everywhere has Heinekin, so that is my choice if they don't have anything else good. I like all kinds of beers and wines and all kinds of liquor, but only thing I don't care for too much is red wine, unless it is a really expensive bottle(and I can't stand yaeger). Beer is always my first choice, but during my wife's pregnancy I only drank beer because she didn't want me to drink liquor if she couldn't, so now it is break from beer and liquor time.