The Beer Paradox

I'm a beer snob, like some of those here I too am a huge hops fan. IPA would be my favorite type of beer, the only beers that I really dont care for too much are Scottish Ales and Barley Wines they're too malty for me, I will still have 1 or 3 but rather drink a refreshing Ale. Of course mass produced Lagers and Pilsner (Bud) are not my cup of tea, if I have to drink on a budget there are plenty in-expensive quality beers Warka, Lomza, Zwieck, Tskie (or some other Polish brews), Leinenkugels, Bergoff, and even Mickeys big mouths on special occasions.

I have completely lost my taste for Canadian beers with the exception of Unibroue. Mexican Beers, I'll only have Negro Modello, or XX Amber, Corona is terrible.

Rule of thumb drink beers in brown bottles if you suspect that what your drinking isnt a high selling item. Light completely wreaks havoc on beer. I think the only clear bottled beer thats been good was either Sam Smiths Winter Welcome Ale or New Castle.

I'm starting to brew again. This time around I'm brewing a Guiness clone, I will insanely hop the beer and I will also add espresso to it. I have a Wit beer kit too it has coriander seeds and orange peels, I will add a little ginger to it. And I have the fixings for a wheat beer which I will mildly hop and add raspberry extract to it.

Now I have to get back to work and day dream about beer.

I have completely lost my taste for Canadian beers with the exception of Unibroue. Mexican Beers, I'll only have Negro Modello, or XX Amber, Corona is terrible.

Compared to Negra Modello, Corona is terrible.... I'd drink Corona before Bud or coors however....

Here is how much of a snob I am, I've gone to bars and asked them what beers they have, after I get the list of swill I just tell them to give me a Coke. LOL

Seriously I dont know what it is about certain mass produced Lagers that make me take a piss every 15 minutes, I dont get that with good beers.

Negra Modello is an amazing mexican beer(don't like the especial one though they make), XX amber is good as well but no negra modello, I usually lean towards the english ales like newcastle, hobgoblin, st. peters, hobgoblin is probably the best I have tried, but it is like 12 bucks for a 6-pack(I'm not rich enough to drink it regularly, usually just on my birthday). A new one I just tried and really liked was pyramid's apricot ale and rogue's dead mans ale, and if I need to drink cheap I usually go for shiner hefeweizen, and if it comes to it and I have to drink cheap and are going to drink a lot, I will drink miller lite(but that is very rarely). I think for xmas tomorrow though i am going to make me some spider bites(or is it snake bite, I forgot), guinness mixed with ace cider, delicious

Pretty much for me, if you can see through it, I won't like it. Guinness and Berghoff's Dark are my top picks. For our company holiday party, our caterer for years was Carlyn Berghoff and even when the general population got crummy beer because liquor was provided by the venue, not the caterer, they would smuggle me in a case of Berghoff dark that was just for me :)

I used to be able to tolerate Sam Adams, but the last time I had that, it tasted horrible to me. Any lager or pilsner or ale I just plain don't like the taste of. Killian's is even stretching it for me these days and it used to be the one I drank most (due to availability).

The idea of fruit in a beer is repulsive to me and I've tried the hefeweisen's and I'm not fond of the tang that they carry. I drink my coffee black and my thought is if you add cream and sugar, it's because you don't like the taste of coffee. I feel much the same way about beer, If you have to put a piece of fruit in it, it must not taste very nice to begin with.

Putting a piece of fruit in it just adds new dimensions of flavors for when you want something different. I also love my coffee black, but occasionaly want cream or milk(mainly because I am out and the coffee I am given tastes like shit). I can't drink multiple fruity beers. I drank a whole 6-pack of cherry wheat ale once and it hurt my stomach something else, but I can drink twice that a dark ale or what have you and be fine, so I limit my intake of fruity(like pyramid apricot weizen, samuel adams cherry wheat ale, pumpkin ales, and ones with orange tings to them), but it is nice to break it up sometimes. I prefer sitting down and drinking 6 different beers than to drink a whole 6-pack of one kind of beer(unless it is my hobgoblin).

The idea of fruit in a beer is repulsive to me and I've tried the hefeweisen's and I'm not fond of the tang that they carry. I drink my coffee black and my thought is if you add cream and sugar, it's because you don't like the taste of coffee. I feel much the same way about beer, If you have to put a piece of fruit in it, it must not taste very nice to begin with.

I agree somewhat but not entirely. Let me say I'm not a fan of adding fruit to my beers. On a hot day I occasionally dont mind a good wheat beer though (UFO is my favorite).

But like someone posted above me.....sometimes we add things just for a new added flavor.

For instance I love pepperoni on my pizza. Its not because I hate cheese pizza, and the way it tastes....its because I like the added flavor pepperoni gives.

I believe you and I honestly feel sorry for you. A year or so ago, a "fall-back" beer used to be Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. The only "macro" I would drink was "Harp" lager. To this day, I still prefer crafted beers over the macro offerings........ but I just decided one day I was being silly. My hatred for the American macros was simply in m head. Do I buy them ? Well, rarely, but I don't "hate" them. They are what they are and I am not "too good" for them simply because I like beer. Budweiser/Coors/Miller still makes beer. It may not be the best beer youu can find, but "yellow fizz" or not, it is still beer..... and I like it.

Bryant

Here is how much of a snob I am, I've gone to bars and asked them what beers they have, after I get the list of swill I just tell them to give me a Coke. LOL

Seriously I dont know what it is about certain mass produced Lagers that make me take a piss every 15 minutes, I dont get that with good beers.

Ran into these guys at a beer fest in Mt Horeb (WI) a couple of years ago: Unibroue from Canada ( http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm ). They are currently my favorite brewer followed closely by Point, Leinenkugel, Sam Adams. If it's quantity I'm after, then I'll opt for a Foster's Lager. If I have to drink American, then it's MGD for me...absolutely no Bud products.

bourbon..........gooooooood..........gotta love maker's mark, I keep on forgeting how freakin smooth this shit is, I totally just forgot about beer until I run out and don't feel like driving all the way to the closest liquor store.

Ha ha ha.... dude !! You are hard core !! Maker's Mark is far from smooth. I like it because it is a full-bodied bourbon. It certainly does have a great finish to it, but "smooth" would not be one of the adjectives I would choose for it.
Then again.... I can eat habenero peppers like candy, but red onions make my eyes water. Everyone has different taste buds.

Bryant

bourbon..........gooooooood..........gotta love maker's mark, I keep on forgeting how freakin smooth this shit is, I totally just forgot about beer until I run out and don't feel like driving all the way to the closest liquor store.

Maker's Mark is smoother to me than jack and crown, plus it makes much better drinks than jack or crown. I still need to try the single barrel jack though, I heard it is awesome.

I think any serious beer drinker should drink what tastes good to themselves. There is no "manly" beer. Fir instance, I drink Maudite, it's a barly wine made in Vancouver by the Unibrouque brewery. It' alcohol is at 8% and it is a deep amber color. Notic e how I described it like it was a wine? Well, a real man doesn;t care about any of that. They just slam it and ask questions later, wussies like me care about the other stuff:lol: I'm kidding of course, ther is no manly drink.

I have heard the name, but I don't know if I have had any beer brewed in Va. Micros are so regional and I don't recall ever seeing those around here. In Columbus Ga. (30 mi. from me) there are two really big liquor stores that carry a fair amount of micros and hand crafted imports. I'll look that up next time I am there. That store does carry several of the Belgian Abbey ales. THey are high dollar, but I usually pick up one or two when I visit there.

Bryant

Ever had "Tuppers Hop Pocket"? It's made by Dominion Brewery in Ashburn, VA.

If I'm in the mood for something hoppy, it's what I go for when I can find it.

I haven't tried the single barrell Jack, but I rarely even drink the Maker's either. The recipe for an Instant idiot is adding liquor to Bryant.

Bryant

Maker's Mark is smoother to me than jack and crown, plus it makes much better drinks than jack or crown. I still need to try the single barrel jack though, I heard it is awesome.