Seasonal Preferences

Lucid Interval

New Metal Member
Feb 21, 2011
I find myself preferring some bands and genres during different seasons. For example, during winter, I tend to listen to a lot of older Opeth and Immortal. Cobalt and Withered get a lot of spins as well. Seems to fit the weather well.

As spring starts, I get into a melodic / technical phase; been listening to a lot of Decrepit Birth (specifically 'Polarity'), old In Flames (Colony and prior) and Arsis.

Fall is all Drudkh. Summer is Isis.

Do you guys have bands or records that you listen to during certain times of the year?

I hate winter so usually do what I can to change the setting because I fucking hate it.

I basically listen to the same music around the year, but during winter I listen slightly more depressive and atmospheric music than usual. During summer I listen a bit more aggressive stuff, but it's not like "I never listen to ****, **** and **** when it's summer/winter.

Don't listen to music according to seasons. One day I might want to listen to power metal and less than an hour later switch to athmospheric black metal. So basically I listen to what I feel like listening to.

Might even like something (that I usually don't like) that I find fun on a day - like gothic or industrial metal - and the next think that its absolutely awful.

Don't listen to music according to seasons. One day I might want to listen to power metal and less than an hour later switch to athmospheric black metal. So basically I listen to what I feel like listening to.

Might even like something (that I usually don't like) that I find fun on a day - like gothic or industrial metal - and the next think that its absolutely awful.

u listen to atmospheric black metal? do u know dragonlord?

I am consistent during the year but there are albums that I find myself listening to moar during some seasons than others for example
Fall- ride the lightning and other oldschool thrash, coroner
Winter- technical death metal, techno, coroner
spring- judas preist,king diamond, celtic frost,Acid Death, coroner
summer- possesed, morgoth, techno Coroner

notice the pattern?

When the weather starts to get cold, I suppose I do get in a funk of less extreme stuff, like opeth, symphonic/atmospheric black metal, even post rock. Towards the end of the winter and all the rest of the time it's death, sludge, trad doom, and lately thrash. The whole thrash thing has been brought on by working in a new place with a guy who was there for
80s/early 90s thrash and really knows it.

My moods are very easily affected by music and seasons, so I listen to depressive/suicidal/really dark subgenres of metal almost exclusively in the springtime. Doing so in winter would push me into actual depression. I like hair and glam metal year round but find that I listen to it the most in the summer. Melodic and atmospheric yet not too-depressive neofolky stuff like Agalloch, Dornenreich, Tenhi etc are autumnal.

u listen to atmospheric black metal? do u know dragonlord?

Yeah, I know Dragonlord, i like some of their songs, but they are more symhonic black, not athmospheric/ambient(was thinking more along the lines of Summoning, Drudkh when I wrote that). :p

By the way, are Dragonlord still active? It's been a while since I've heard something from them.

Yeah, I know Dragonlord, i like some of their songs, but they are more symhonic black, not athmospheric/ambient(was thinking more along the lines of Summoning, Drudkh when I wrote that). :p

By the way, are Dragonlord still active? It's been a while since I've heard something from them.

usually i only listen to black metal or metal in general for the atmosphere/moodiness. thats what dragonlord kinda does for me but ya those guys have been inactive since 2005 i think. maybe i will check out summoning, drudkh..bands like that you are talking about if u say they are atmospheric. thanks.

My playlist is constantly changing, some days I'll be more in the mood to rock out with my cock out with cheesy bands or just headbang along to fast paced death metal, maybe even curl into a ball in a corner and listen to depressive black metal.