Seasonal Metal?

Klschmann

New Metal Member
Dec 7, 2001
Maryland, USA
Visit site
First things first, I'd like to introduce myself to the board after lurking now for a few months. I am from the DC are in the US, and have been an Opeth fan since I heard "Nectar" on one of those black metal compilations back in 98.

The weather here is quickly turning from summer to fall, and on my way out the door this morning I grab Orchid to play on my ride to work. It was then I got to thinking. Am I the only one who's taste in music (metal specific) is somewhat dictated by the seasons? For me, much of the spring and summer is spent listening to power metal, and classic metal stuff (Maiden, Priest, Blind Guardian etc.). The bands I tend to listen to much more in the Fall and Winter are Opeth, Emperor, Enslaved etc, more death and black metal. Not that I strictly adhere to this notion, but I tend to be much more in the mood to play Opeth in November with frost on the ground, than say when it's 100 degrees outside in the dog days of July. I think it has something to do with the rather depressing nature of Opeth (and others) that coordinates itself, and makes much more sense during the rather long, dark, cold and depressing winters. While the summer is a bit more updeat and lively Am I the only one who feels this way?

With all that said, I am glad Opeth has tended to release their new albums (Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation) all during the Fall/Winter period here for maximum late night chilly listening. Nothing better than enjoying the new Opeth album over a fire with a hot drink.

Thoughts??

~~K~~

I think some wintry albums are Orchid, Agalloch - the mantle, Amorphis - Tales from the 1000 lakes, Satyricon - dark medievel times, etc. Most other opeth albums I think tend to have a 'Fall' feeling more than anything.

You know, its quite strange you say that, because a few months ago, I put the Opeth albums into seasons. Heres my seasonal Opeth opinions:

Orchid - Summer
Morningrise - Autumn
My Arms, Your Hearse - Autumn
Still Life - Spring/ Summer
Blackwater Park - Winter

I personally can feel the warmth in Orchid and Still Life far more than the others.

Welcome to the board. I actually agree with you that Opeth music sounds better during the colder months than the warmer months. I just wish we had frost over here.

Being from MD, myself, I wholeheartedly agree. For me, nothing says winter like Cradle of Filth's Cruelty and the Beast. Also, there's Opeth, Emperor, Dimmu Borgir, Summoning [Dul Goldor is amazing in the winter], Katatonia, and more classical music, such as Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, et cetera. I think weather definitely dictates one's choice in music. As it's been said, music can be cold or warm, lively or desperate, and all things in between.

@InMyColdKingdom

Warmth in Still Life?!?! Have ya read those lyrics lately? I don't think "warmth" is to great a word for what you're feeling. :)

Anyway, I was thinking about seasonal Opeth also. Here goes my list.

Orchid- Spring to early summer
Morningrise- Fall
MAYH- late summer to early spring
Still life - Fall
Blackwater Park- Always......(most especially winter)
Deliverance- Late winter to early spring

To me opeth doesnt make me "depressed". I think what you guys are really feeling is a change in your mood because of the months, and therefore you listen to music in the vein of that mood because of it. Im not sure if anyone was thinking it was the other way around. Opeth sounds good at any time of year to me. I sleep during the day, so its never 100 degrees outside for me, and all the music i like works great during the nighttime...whether it be winter, fall, summer, or spring.

and tales from the 1000 lakes is perfect for those black winter days.

actually, here is what seasons i think the opeth albums fall under
orchid - winter
morningrise - fall
MAYH - summer
still life - spring
bwp - fall

deliverance I dunno yet...Damnation will probably be a summery album.