Metal bands don't use piano often enough

Esteban

Thinking is overrated
Dec 28, 2002
Costa Rica
Visit site
I'm sick of those keyboards that sound like children's toys, why don't bands use more piano? It sounds great and adds a lot of depth to the music, listen to Evergrey or Savatage.

Any thoughts?

I was actually thinking that it would be interesting if some brutal death bands experimented with more instruments, such as piano, saxophone, trumpet, flute, etc. But used in a dissonant way. I have some grind songs that I wrote that incorporate piano, but I think it would be interesting to hear a wide array of instruments in some brutal music. Maybe I'm wrong.

what does a piano have to do with metal? some bands can get away with that i guess. true metal was designed to get away from ancient instruments. lets bang our head to a flute! mabye fags or jethro tull. save the planet, kill yourself.

as a norweigian man who likes cheese, i would rather agree with that. norweigian cheese is rather good.

Save The Planet, Kill Yourself.

Yes, a lot of bands do use different instruments as a gimmick, which is shitty.

But imagine a really kick ass free jazz solo over some brutal death (think John Zorn). Wouldn't that kick ass? I'm sure it's been done before (you could argue about Painkiller I guess), but it hasn't been really explored very deeply in a non-gimmicky way.

No, I Don't, I Was Raised In A Norweigian Cheese Factory, Which Is Why I Love That Cheese.

Save The Planet, Kill Yourself.

jonnykungfu said:
I was actually thinking that it would be interesting if some brutal death bands experimented with more instruments, such as piano, saxophone, trumpet, flute, etc. But used in a dissonant way. I have some grind songs that I wrote that incorporate piano, but I think it would be interesting to hear a wide array of instruments in some brutal music. Maybe I'm wrong.
I agree with ya, I thought the same thing. There is a weird band called Mental Horror and I like it quite a lot. Extremely fast brutal death metal drumming with the occassional acoustic guitar section. Great atmosphere. Do you know a band called Virulence? They play brutal death/grind and they use some jazz influences and piano too I think. Also, the acoustic parts in certain Cryptopsy's tracks are sheer beauty, I want more of that please.
And the last thing, I once heard a track from a band called Aggressor, you might like it. "Medieval" brutal death.

jonnykungfu said:
Yes, a lot of bands do use different instruments as a gimmick, which is shitty.

But imagine a really kick ass free jazz solo over some brutal death (think John Zorn). Wouldn't that kick ass? I'm sure it's been done before (you could argue about Painkiller I guess), but it hasn't been really explored very deeply in a non-gimmicky way.
That would be interesting

You should check out The painter's palette by Ephel Duath. It mixes death metal elements with jazz structures/solos, in fact I think two of the band members are fully trained jazz musicians.

If bands integrate them effectively into good compositions, rather than using them to hide their lack of quality or make themselves seem 'original' on the surface, I'm all ears.

SuicideMachine said:
for some great non gimicky piano passages check out "helping the world to see" by vehemence, takes a couple of listens, but man this album rips!

I'm pretty sure there's only one song with piano on that album.