selecting a VERSATILE metal pickup

scarr3d

Real Life Death
Aug 5, 2001
portland, OR
www.speakeasy.net
hello everyone,

here's my current setup:

Gibson SG with EMG's ---> Boss EQ ---> vintage Rat distortion --->Marshall JCM800 half stack

i don't like active pickups anymore, too just too hot and no definition. i play a wide range of things, so i'd like something with good clean and dirty tones. i like LOTS of mids, and need the bass to be super tight. the Seymour Duncan Full Shred and Distortion look like good choices for the bridge. i guess i should mention that i don't "shred," and i'm tuned down 1 step...sometimes dropped C. i'm also interested in the Gibson Tony Iommi's.

for the neck...i have no idea. just need something that cleans up nicely and is really warm. suggestions?

thanks for reading.

I have found the Dimarzio X2N to be the most versatile and shockingly clean, but also look at the Angus Young signature humbuckers as well. I agree with you, I can listen to a song on the radio and pick out that garbled EMG tone, too bassy and muddy.

Also, look into a L-500XL by Bill Lawrence(just be sure to get a REAL one from the man himself) I have one in my Jackson Kelly-VERY clear, high output and very versitile.

I look for almost the exact same things as you, and if I had the money to change out my bridge in my LP (which Im not completely happy with) I would change it to the Full Shred like you mentioned, and I've got a 59 in the neck which is perfect for what you described. Just don't get a SD Custom for the bridge, it's probably lacking a bit of balls for what you want, but I do like it a lot (only I think I would like a full shred a little better.)

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

i'm really leaning towards the Gibson Tony Iommi's. i have a feeling that they'll really sound (and look) great in my SG.

my EMG 81's will be up on eBay soon. PM me if you're interested.