Semi-hollow/hollowbodies

Silverhaze

Little Piggy Slasher
May 12, 2002
Visit site
Anybody have a semi-hollow or hollowbody electric guitar? I have several guitars, but I don't have a hollowbody, and was wondering if you can rock out on one. Do they handle heavy distortion? I'm always looking for something different and wondered if I should even consider one of these. I know Nugent plays one, but I'd probably want to go crunchier than that - at least part of the time. How cool are they....or aren't they? I'm thinking about picking up a Gretsch Electromatic w/f hole or an Ibanez AM73 or AS73. Should I bother?

I like the idea. =) I once played an epiphone semi-hollow through a Fender Super Distortion w. dist maxed. Quite a weird feeling. =) note: This was at low volume in a shop.

I think you can forget pure hollowbodies though. They would probably cause some severe feedback problems once the volume goes up. Imagine the amp at high power, making the air onstage vibrate - vibration that trasfers to the air inside your guitar, transfering the vibrations to the guitar body, getting picked up by the pickups, fed into the amp, making the air vibrate....and so on...

I'm suspecting that you'd also get huge problems with a semi-hollow if the pups are ever so slightly microphonic - it would probably be good to go with potted pickups.

Anyway, I remember Izzy Stradlin of G'N'R mentioning in an interview the reason he liked semi-hollows (he used Gibson ES-175 I think): "I can put it through six distortion boxes and it still jangles somehow".
What we need to remember though is:
1) Izzy was in G'n'R - so he probably didn't know what real distortion was.
2) He probably played them using stock pickups. He never said much about pickups at all, except that he liked "those old soapbar pickups". Doesn't sound like a man that fiddles with hardware. =)
3) Izzy was in G'n'R - he probably was on many strange substances at the time he made that statement. =P

Cool! Thanks for the info. It looks like you're the ONLY one here that has ever played a hollowbody! :)

I know they're not the metal monsters of the lot or you'd see more of them, but I still find the thought of getting one intriquing. It's always a thrill to find the kind of jam that plays well on a paticular style guitar. I've heard that they are "feedback monsters", but I've also heard it's can be the good controlable kind of feedback too.

Although a completely different animal, Dave from Spirit Caravan played a hollowbody bass through a tube amp and it made the warmest badass bass sound. I guess I'm hoping some of that "magic" would carry through to a six string. hmmmmmm....