Sequels in Music

Krondor

Jan 16, 2008
Finland
I just listened Thick as a Brick 2 by Ian Anderson. It was ok, I gotta listen to it again with better time though...

So you guys know any good Sequels? Albums or songs (like Accolade 2). I know about Coheed and Gambria, but I don't like them that much...

Devin Townsend's The Devin Townsend Project albums apparently are somewhat connected by a character that goes through the whole thing, but it's not told in an obvious way.

Riverside's first three albums are connected. There is also the Reality Dream group of songs I-IV in those albums, but they're all instrumental tunes.

Last year's Cynthesis album DeEvolution is going to have a sequel album ReEvolution this year.

If I had time I'd come up with way more...

Dream Theater's Metropolis is good. :) Devin Townsend's DTP is, according to Devin, more the same 'story' told from four different perspectives. I'd rather see it as one piece than a series. He's working on a new Ziltoid though. Should be awesome. :) And don't forget Ayreon!

honestly, most of them suck just like with movies. But then every once in a while, you get a really awesome one.

More evidence of mostly sucking:
Operation Mindcrime 2
Road Salt 2
Perfect Element 2 (by the same band even as RS2!)
Paradox 2

Can't think of one that doesn't suck off the bat, but I'm sure I will eventually. There are a few.

I honestly can't think of one...

I didn't even know there was a Thick as a Brick 2. That album is going to become as rehashed as Tubular Bells.

road salt 2 was better than road salt 1.

helloween - keeper of the seven keys pt2 (very good).
dethklok - dethalbum II (very good).
beardfish - sleeping in traffic: part 2 (good).

it's funny that the best post-90s american death metal band is a satire band (referring to dethalbum II)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't think of any albums. A few songs:

Shadow Gallery - Cliffhanger -> Cliffhanger 2
Metallica - Unforgiven -> Unforgiven 2 -> Unforgiven 3
Rocket Scientists - Dark Water Parts 1-6

Amon Amarth: Hermod's Ride to Hell- Loki's Treachery Part 1, Töck's Taunt - Loki's Treachery Part 2. The first is better IMO.

There's also all the Iced Earth Something Wicked stuff, but it isn't that great, except for the original 3.

Basically all of Rhapsody of Fire's albums, but I don't really like them. I kind of agree with Ken, most sequels aren't that great, but there are some good ones.

I did think of one afterall. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure though: Avantasia - The Metal Opera 2 is far superior to the first one. Actually it might just be their only good album. But it IS good.

RS2 is not better than RS1. It tries too hard, which is one real detraction I think that critics of POS are right about - they can redline and miss the subtle beauty sometimes.

Another 'bad' example: Solefald Red For Fire / Black For Death. Red is a better album.

I did think of one afterall. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure though: Avantasia - The Metal Opera 2 is far superior to the first one. Actually it might just be their only good album. But it IS good.

RS2 is not better than RS1. It tries too hard, which is one real detraction I think that critics of POS are right about - they can redline and miss the subtle beauty sometimes.

Another 'bad' example: Solefald Red For Fire / Black For Death. Red is a better album.

Ha. Even during the height of my love for power metal, I couldn't bear the ballads on that album. But I loved that song with Virgin Steele's singer going on about people burning in hell. And the one about the Looking Glass. Fond memories.

I completely disagree here. Aside from Sun I Called, the rest of Red for Fire is pretty bland. Black for Death has a lot more quality tracks, a lot more variety. I haven't listened to either in a while though, but when they came out, I was definitely much more into Black For Death.

Okay, maybe I gotta clarify that one a bit. Unlike previous contrast examples, I think RFF is better than BFD, BUT they aren't such a huge quality difference as the other examples. On a given day, I could say either one is better. I just feel I pick RFF a bit more often.

Off the top of my head, all I can really come up with is Dream Theater's Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory, and Labyrinth's Return to Heaven Denied pt. 2, both of which I think are excellent albums.

My favorites are simply Metropolis and The Accolade, can't think of others I really like right now.

it's funny that the best post-90s american death metal band is a satire band (referring to dethalbum II)

Best post-90's American death metal band is not Death? I don't think so.

Oh! Crimson II exists and is good. In my opinion not as good as the first one, but worthwhile nevertheless. I don't know how I forgot about that.

My favorites are simply Metropolis and The Accolade, can't think of others I really like right now.

Best post-90's American death metal band is not Death? I don't think so.

I meant post-2000... AFTER 1999. like, after the 90s, as in a decade, not after year 1990.:loco: