The greater Accolade.

Which song do you like more?

• The Accolade

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • Accolade II

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
Yngvai X said:
Listen to them back to back, you'll see what I mean. I didn't appriciate it quite as much as I do now until I did that. BTW I think Accolade II is better ;) I don't compare them as "the original verses a new one" I think of the 2nd one as the 2nd part of the story. Do you compare The Two Towers to Fellowship of the Ring and say Fellowship is the "original"?

No I dont, because it isn't a sequal. Lord of the Rings was one complete book that was broken into three parts by the choice of the publisher, not the author. So I dont think that Lord of the Rings is a very good example to compare with.

BTW, I am very impressed that people on this forum can appreciate other people's opinions and have civilised conversation, unlike other forums at UM. It must be true, Symphony X is intelligent music for intelligent people! :)
Cheers!:D

Sympozium said:
No I dont, because it isn't a sequal. Lord of the Rings was one complete book that was broken into three parts by the choice of the publisher, not the author. So I dont think that Lord of the Rings is a very good example to compare with.

BTW, I am very impressed that people on this forum can appreciate other people's opinions and have civilised conversation, unlike other forums at UM. It must be true, Symphony X is intelligent music for intelligent people! :)

CRAP, I forgot about that. How about Back to the Future 2&3? Those are definetly sequels.

Sympozium said:

Gah, thats true...well, the point I was getting at was that some people sound like they're treating Accolade II as a new version of the Accolade, instead of...well, The Accolade part 2. Dunno if any of you are Pink Floyd fans but listen to their "Another Brick in the Wall" songs parts 1, 2, and 3. They are even MORE similar to each other than Accolade II and I are, but the idea is that they carry the same musical motifs and themes within each other, but arranged differenty to create different moods and feels within each song that compliment the lyrics. I think if both Accolades were on the same album there would be less "comparing the 2nd one to the original" and more "comparing part 1 to part 2."

Yeah, I understand what you guys are trying to see and I appreciate your opinion. I still pefer Accolade I though! :D :p

Sympozium said:

As far as 'The Lord of the Rings' goes, it (the complete six books as written to be released as one as you said) is called a sequel to 'The Hobbit' by Tolkien himself, so I guess you could use this as a good example...

But in this case, of course, most will vote 'Rings' overwhelmingly.

Polyeidus said:
As far as 'The Lord of the Rings' goes, it (the complete six books as written to be released as one as you said) is called a sequel to 'The Hobbit' by Tolkien himself, so I guess you could use this as a good example...

But in this case, of course, most will vote 'Rings' overwhelmingly.

Well put. :)

You know, The Accolade always reminded me of Lord Of The Rings. The music just painted a very strong picture of that saga for me and the sequel did this as well. In fact, I played part 1 a lot when I went to see "Fellowship"- several times. Likewise, I played the hell out of part 2 when I saw "Two Towers". I really think it would really be appropriate and beautiful for the band to write a third installment.
Yeah, I can't wait for "Return Of The King". It'll probably be the best one. Once all three films are released on DVD in their extended forms and once I get my own fucking editing machine, I have made it my own personal quest to create a near 20 minute music video using both songs with footage from the films. Now who wouldn't like to see that?

As far as the songs go, I prefer the original, although both succeed on their own merits and both paint indelliblely beautiful landscapes for the listener. I don't think part 2 rehashes the old themes. It's like someone said, in classical music there are themes and variations which are the whims of many of a composer and which have provided some of their best stuff. So don't throw rocks at a band whose well for creativity is never dry.

~My opinion~

Prismatic Sphere said:
You know, The Accolade always reminded me of Lord Of The Rings. The music just painted a very strong picture of that saga for me and the sequel did this as well. In fact, I played part 1 a lot when I went to see "Fellowship"- several times. Likewise, I played the hell out of part 2 when I saw "Two Towers". I really think it would really be appropriate and beautiful for the band to write a third installment.
Yeah, I can't wait for "Return Of The King". It'll probably be the best one. Once all three films are released on DVD in their extended forms and once I get my own fucking editing machine, I have made it my own personal quest to create a near 20 minute music video using both songs with footage from the films. Now who wouldn't like to see that?

As far as the songs go, I prefer the original, although both succeed on their own merits and both paint indelliblely beautiful landscapes for the listener. I don't think part 2 rehashes the old themes. It's like someone said, in classical music there are themes and variations which are the whims of many of a composer and which have provided some of their best stuff. So don't throw rocks at a band whose well for creativity is never dry.

~My opinion~

The Accolades never really made me think of Lord of the Rings.

Blind Guardian, however...:D

Definately Accolade II! The first is alright but I just love the bass overtone of the song. When I blast in my car the bass just creates an awesom mood when Allen starts the verse "On a cold and misty night...".