What should the new album sound like?

They should change quite a lot for the next album. I mean, they already have plenty of albums out and they haven't progressed enough (IMO). They have (pretty much) the same sound they had since the beginning, so a little change would be welcomed.

I think the next album would be good no matter what direction they went in (considering it's reasonably close to their signature sound). As long as the composition is done as brilliantly as it has so far, the songs should be enjoyable. I like V and the Odyssey equally, even though they are such different albums. The thing they have in common though, is Romeo's great composition.

I never said to take out the melodic vocals completely... looks like most everyone read the first line of my post and then responded... hm.

I said used sparingly it would kick ass. Listen to sonata arctica's live album.. .especially the song "The End of this Chapter"... the groweled lines really fuckin' rule.

theodyssey said:
Listen to sonata arctica's live album.. .especially the song "The End of this Chapter"... the groweled lines really fuckin' rule.
uhhh... no thanks

B000069JI9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

i like the odyssey a lot, its definately a great album, but V is my favorite. the keyboards should definately be heard more. i like how russell sings on the odyssey, there is more aggression.

if there next album would sound like V and the odyssey mixed with a bit of DWoT then it would have to be the greatest musical accomplishment ever. and of course, it would be incomplete without another epic song to stimulate your soul for 20+ minutes.

keep up the good work guys!

I'd have to disagree metal616... I'd like a heavy dose of V... with a little of the vocal aggression found on Odyssey... with the mystical beauty of Twilight In Olympus... and something new

If you want friggin thrash and death vocals break out the Soilwork and Dew Scented or the tens of millions of other bands that jump on the bandwagon of mediocrity. How many other bands do what symphony x do, 2 others in the universe I believe.

I only ask for next album Melodies, harmonies and of course lots of feeling... ya know that kind of feeling you listen in The edge of forever, Accolade, Candlelight fantasia... and I'd just preffer it more progressive than heavy ;) ... better production is indispensable

Greetings to all!

I think we should all stop guessing and hoping which direction the guys will take on the next album and just wait and see what we get. They haven't disappointed yet (not me at least) so let's have faith that they will produce another incredible album.

My only 2 cents would be that they do another concept album. After "V" I had a slight sense of discontinuity going to "The Odyssey" or even back to TDWOT (which before V was absolutely my favorite). To me, the concept album locks you in and you want to listen to it from beginning to end, kind of like watching a movie.

Perhaps a bit more experimental this time around?

-Throw in some of those jazz elements like the ones in Awakenings.
-I think it's time for Mike to prove us that he's really influenced by Al Di Meola. Pick up the Acoustic/Classical and play some spicy latino stuff, it would really work well with that Cuban piano thingy...
-don't go overboard with the orchestra business, that's been overused by many bands
-bring back the Queen influenced choruses, I like those

Yeah, death vocals.. I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Yeeah. Adagio threw in a little of that in Underworld and I really didn't like the way it sounded, but then again, the album's still awesome.

Still, I like Russell's aggressive voice, but then again, his Candlelight Fantasia voice is awesome too.

I liked Dado's idea though with the Queen influenced choruses, like the one in Of Sins and Shadows, and that cool part in the Bird-Serpent War.