Guesses - New SymX CD

Lady of the Oracle said:
It's not a horrible idea; Romeo has said many times that he would love for the band to play with a full orchestra, but the cost of doing so is prohibitive.

What I might recommend, if an orchestra isn't possible, would be for them to change brands of synths or buy a new one...specifically get a Kurzweil. Those are really high-end synths that tend to get quite a bit closer to original sounds. The $4000 or so for a Kurzweil might be a little less than the fee for an orchestra. ;)

I dont know about The Odyssey being SyX's 'black' album, that would be a scary thought. But I dont think Romeo is a label pleaser in the fact that I cant picture doing anything other than what he loves. I cant imagine them pulling a TOT, they just dont seem like the nu-metal type.

SilentRealm said:
I dont know about The Odyssey being SyX's 'black' album, that would be a scary thought. But I dont think Romeo is a label pleaser in the fact that I cant picture doing anything other than what he loves. I cant imagine them pulling a TOT, they just dont seem like the nu-metal type.

I agree, I don't see him as being that way either. And yeah, to say Odyssey was SymX's 'black' album is pretty damn degrading considering its awesomeness. I think we should all try to be optimistic here, since we love SymX and they love us back. They won't go nu-metal on us.

Unfortunatly I see The Odyssey as Symphony X's "The Black Album". Simpler than their previous releases, yet a great album. In an interview one of the band members (Romeo?) said that with The Odyssey there was a drastic sales increase so they're going to continue that style. Which is alittle unnerving, becuase everyone knows what happens after "The Black Album''. . .
I'm afraid I might have to agree. And by afraid I mean VERY afraid.

The Metal Chick said:
I agree, I don't see him as being that way either. And yeah, to say Odyssey was SymX's 'black' album is pretty damn degrading considering its awesomeness. I think we should all try to be optimistic here, since we love SymX and they love us back. They won't go nu-metal on us.

I can't really imagine Russ with a backwards baseball cap and jumping about screaming, so I highly doubt they'll go nu-metal. But since they've acknowledged that their sound on the next CD will be different, I see The Odyssey as a turning point for them.

Beelzebub said:
I can't really imagine Russ with a backwards baseball cap and jumping about screaming, so I highly doubt they'll go nu-metal. But since they've acknowledged that their sound on the next CD will be different, I see The Odyssey as a turning point for them.

I can certainly acknowledge it as being a turning point, but does it have to be negatively? And I'm not pointing this at you Beelzebub, but those of you who are having panic attacks over what SymX is going to morph into next. Granted, I am wary, but I am also optimistic. Let's calm ourselves and just wait for what they will offer us.

The Metal Chick said:
I can certainly acknowledge it as being a turning point, but does it have to be negatively? And I'm not pointing this at you Beelzebub, but those of you who are having panic attacks over what SymX is going to morph into next. Granted, I am wary, but I am also optimistic. Let's calm ourselves and just wait for what they will offer us.

At this point I am expecting bad but hoping for good.

SilentRealm said:
then again who would have pictured Petrucci with a linkin park style do either?

this is true, that sure was a shocker. if MJR ever goes for the Wes Borland look, I'll probably stab my eyes out. I don't like all of the negative vibes of this thread. Though I suppose it would be nice if the band saw it and took it into consideration... *coughdontgolameonuscough* ;)

A similar discussion was born for Dream Theater's next album. "Train of tought" was not prog and very very heavy and a lot of fans (me included) are hoping for a different next album. Here follows a quote taken from Rudess forum:

"We’re gonna enter the studio early next month. There is nothing written down at all. We haven't written any of the music yet. We’d like to make it as emotionally open an album as possible, deep with a lot of feeling. It’s not gonna be heavy metal for sure. Is not gonna be like Train of Thought. That’s out of our system. The album will be more harmonic, more progressive. I am bringing many new interesting sounds. For one more time we're gonna turn the page on our music. The new album will be released next spring and we will start touring next summer."

As I told before, I'm hoping the same for next SX's album.

Luis said:
When Adagio made Underworld they did not use a real orchestra, their budget was limited, so they only paid for a real choir.

If SymphonyX want to record with a real orchestra i hope they only use it in one or two into songs like Kamelots "Regalis Apertura", but as Lady said that is too expensive.

Actually the orchestra on the Underworld album is a real orchestra. If you have ever read the making of Underworld article that was on the official Adagio site (it might still be there) back before it came out you would know. Stephan tried many times to get his label to pay for an orchestra and they wouldn't. Finally, he felt so highly to express his music using an orchestra that he worked extra jobs just to pay for it himself. This is one of the things that gave me so much respect for Stephan Forte, he is more concerned about making his music exactly the way he wants it rather than saving or making money, his love for music will always lead him in the right direction. Anyway, I think that the exact orchestra he hired was The Prague Phillharmonic Orchestra.

I think this thread is a little silly because it's not like anyone replying has a real idea about what the new album will be like. Here is my own uneducated guess: Micheal Romeo will play guitar. Really fucking fast. Pinella will probably play fast too. I imagine there will be a bass solo or two; what's an album without bass solos? Oh, I almost forgot: there will be a drummer on this one, just like they did with other albums. You can tell when a band is selling out because they get drummers. Who listens to a band without a drummer? Yeah. Symphony X is going down the shitter. The song the Odyssey was a new low for them.