Serious discussion on the philosophy of music

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
'allo...

Some questions I'd like some feedback on. Note there are no negative connotations in the questions themselves, unless you yourself think 'change' is negative...

If you're a musician, and you like a new band with a new sound, does it affect your own writing?

If that new band really gets to you, how could it not?

Do you attribute the change in In Flames over the years at all to the fact that they themselves have changed their listening habits over the years?

If a band makes a point to mention certain names in interviews (Slayer mentioning Slipknot comes to mind most), is it not reasonable to assume that there's more going on in that interviewee's head than 'I enjoy listening to this' to bring it up somewhere that a mass audience will read it?

More poignantly, if Mikael didn't like old prog (Camel, etc), would Opeth sound like it does? If he didn't like extreme metal of old (Mefisto!!!), would Opeth sound like it does?

If Mikael really started liking techno (for instance), do you think Opeth would remain sounding like it does?

If you're a musician, and you like a new band with a new sound, does it affect your own writing?

Not really. There is different types of 'like' when it comes to music... The music i write is in a similar style to Death and POE-era nevermore, technical and progressive... Yet i like bands which are the total opposite of those bands and my written music, such as opeth, dimmu borgir, megadeth etc.

I guess that some elements must rub off, but they wouldn't fully change what i write. I am a big Tea Party fan, and alot of my band's music incorporates alot of eastern and 'arabic' tonality and phrasing here and there, so i guess if a band REALLY getrs to you, then yes, it does have an effect on your writing style.

Do you attribute the change in In Flames over the years at all to the fact that they themselves have changed their listening habits over the years?

I have no idea. I am a big Whoracle fan, Whoracle is an awesome CD, yet i can't stand Colony or Clayman, i think Colony and Clayman are BOTH terrible cd's, totally formulaic approach to writing.

If a band makes a point to mention certain names in interviews (Slayer mentioning Slipknot comes to mind most), is it not reasonable to assume that there's more going on in that interviewee's head than 'I enjoy listening to this' to bring it up somewhere that a mass audience will read it?

Slayer's new release sucks MAJOR ass, so i make no comment.

More poignantly, if Mikael didn't like old prog (Camel, etc), would Opeth sound like it does? If he didn't like extreme metal of old (Mefisto!!!), would Opeth sound like it does?

What kind of a word is 'poignantly'...?? Speak english dammit. :lol:

"A band is made up from their influences". That was an extremely stupid question, sorry. That's just like saying 'If Chuck Schuldiner hated metal, and instead listened to hip-hop, would death have sounded like they did??'...

If Mikael really started liking techno (for instance), do you think Opeth would remain sounding like it does?

I guess it would be up to michael. I am sure that there is alot of metal-bands that ALSO like hip-hop, rap, or other shit music like that, and it doesn't have an effecty on their music, so i guess that it is really up to wether the main writer's of the band have a clear vision in their minds of how they want the band to sound...

Originally posted by Jim LotFP

No, Opeth might go in the direction of ...and Oceans,
which is a VERY scary thought, no matter how much I
like ...and Oceans! >:eek:)

On a serious note I read your post as a question if
the musician is influenced by music made by other
bands, NEW bands... And if that affects them in a bad
way (that's the underlying tone of your post).....?

Well, musicians are humans too (I like to think), and
just like you and I that person changes his/hers taste
in music over time, and that is why the musician's
music also changes..... Quite natural in my mind.

Sometimes this is for the bad, because I might not be
into the same music as my fav band has started
listening to, and sometimes it's the perfect move;
making me a new fan of the band.
It all depends on taste.

But I have never been one of those who have stuck
by a band no matter what. I jump off when the style
changes. Or I become a fan when the new style has
arrived. I usually don't like the earlier work, but
of course this all depends :eek:)
Sometimes a band surprises me! :eek:)

yes im forever finding new and different bands that i like the sound of, as well as finding bands i dont like so much, but that i like their ideas (.. if only they did them correctly). And i always find myself adding the new influences into my music, not directly copying riffs, but doing my own riffs slightly differently (maybe its using some different chord shapes? or different song structures? or time signatures? etc). Every song i've written so far has been an experimentation, ive thought to myself (while listening to a certain type of music) "i should try and write like that, include that influence" and then i write a song and include it. The plan is that by the time i eventually write songs for an album (which is starting now with my new band) then i have enough influences and variety to write my won music how i want it, without sounding like anyone else, and to not be limited. So yes bands with new sounds definitely affect my writing.

definitely, the progression to their current sound doesnt suprise me as such, they've always been more about creating good beats and rhythms, less about 'art' (even though they did it pretty well)...

No way, opeth's music is great because it is a merging of many different influences. Nowadays you get bands who are influences only by Opeth and similar, and you can hear it, their music lacks the originality of Opeth, and the 'jazz' bits or the 'mellow' bits are simply copying opeth, instead of drawing from a huge range of influences.

I think their may be electronic elements put into opeth if this was the case (but it would be done well!). But id more expect another side project to emerge with the new influence since its so different from what Opeth is.
I doubt it would happen though.

of course it will...you might not notice it or admit it but it will...suppose i just heard slipknot and i fucking hate them then i would try hard not to write music like them, same thing with a band you like, u might write like them

you couldn't

i personally don't think in flames' music has change that
much...of course each album has it's differences but there was still a big element which remained the same

ahhh...i remember reading this in guitar world...kerry king said that he loved the guitarists of slipknot....i felt that as a slap in the face....kerry king is an amazing guitar and is miles beyond the slipknot guitarists...anyone can make riffs with power chords with drop-d'ed guitars

of course not

of course not, it may not be bad but it won't be the same

that's what i hate about some ppl...they think that because i band has taken a turn in direction that they don't like and become more popular, they have sold out...ppl don't realize that being a musician is also a job and that is what you get money from....some ppl are so fucking selfish and ignorant...