Set List Decisions

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
In truth, I'm kind of glad that "Orchid" is not represented in Opeth's North American set list, as it’s my least favorite of their releases. That being said, I've always felt that a band should perform something off of their debut, as it’s where their following began. To take that logic a step further, I find it even harder to believe, that on their first headlining tour of the states, a band like Opeth would choose to cater more to their newer fans, than to their older fans. Choosing to do five songs from their last two CDs and only two songs from their first three CDs, seems a bit odd for a band who operates completely independent of radio and video support. Mind you, I'm not criticizing them for this decision, I'm just a bit surprised by it.

Thoughts?

GZ

I "think" that what I heard last night plays very well live. The songs they chose really translated well to the stage. I can't say that it was catering to a newer fan base, but I think they had to decide which songs they felt would keep the energy level of the crowd at its highest (not that any true Opeth fan wouldn't of been stoked no matter what they palyed).

Bearing in mind that half the band joined after Orchid and Morningrise were released, they might want to represent their contributions to the music (despite the fact that the groundwork for all the songs is laid out by Mikael)

I would love to hear some Orchid when they play in TO next friday, but I know I won't. I'll live with my Forest of October live from Milwaukee - it turned my attention to Orchid and kept it there for some time. Until Deliverance came out, it was my most spun Opeth CD. Almost time for a replacement!

Also, the newest songs are fresh in their minds, and I'm sure they're proud of what they've created. A tour is made to support an album release, and if they eschewed Deliverance songs, it wouldn't really support their easiest-to-find album.

It's obvious they have more integrity than the vast majority of musicians out there, but they do need to make money in order to come to North America, keep up their equipment, and buy smokes for that lovely growl! :)

Well, I remember reading a recent interview with Mikael and he said somewhere along the lines that he doesn't really get much satisfaction out of playing the older stuff that much anymore because he feels that their music has matured so much over the years that the older stuff was rather simple and kind of cheesy in a way. As bands grow and mature, they constantly strive to stretch the limits of their creativity and in order for them to continue on, they kind of have to put the old stuff behind them and push their limits with their new stuff and continue to be creative. Mike is very prowd of their older material but he wants to concentrate more on the newer stuff because that is where their creative process has taken them at the moment. He did say as well that they would like to throw in a couple of songs from the earlier albums but they were going to focus mainly on the newer material. I was actually wondering if they would play a bit of or a full song off of Damnation just as a teaser. That would have been really cool!

my only issue(a very minor one) is that in said interview, mikael said that he was going to try to perform other tunes from the various cds. He mentioned which ones didn't come off well live thus weren't selected but he mentioned others. Instead, we get alot of what was on the last US tour. Oh well, I will still have awesome time.