An observation (the set list)....

Triste

gazing into the deep
May 4, 2001
Echo Park
Visit site
Now, I'm not complaining at all but I was just wondering what the deal is with Opeth (after over TWO years) playing practically the same set on this tour that they played on the last tour with the exception of adding two Deliverance songs. I mean, I know they don't practice, but give me a break, why can't they try to learn to play a few new songs from the SIX albums that they have released? I'll be seeing them for the 4th time in a couple of weeks, and although I am really excited about it because they are absolutely killer live, I actually am only looking forward to seeing them play Deliverance and A Fair Judgment since I've seen all of the other songs played already. It's just kind of disappointing because it makes me feel like they aren't really putting that much effort into keeping their set list varied. Who knows, maybe there is a valid reason for it, but right now, it just seems like laziness to me....

yes, i think mr. niel is right. i read somewhere that opeth don't have a rehearsal room, and you know that they rehearsed just 1 time before entering the studio to record D&D.

anyway, looking to the montreal setlist, they made some progressions... there's no forest of october & white cluster, and there's godhead's lament + 2 tracks from deliverance.

i think also about the tour supporting damnation, and to mikael's intention to play some old acoustic stuff [i hope he refers to to bid you farewell, benighted, face of melinda...]. i sincerely hope to see them there, but rumours say that that'll be a uncommon tour...

They don't have a rehersal room? That's preposterous....Any two-bit band has a place to practice. Their label doesn't help them with that? They don't have friends with whom they can share a space/rent with? Come on now...they are a professional band and not being able to get off of their asses to practice is a lame excuse...

I have this issue with ALOT of other bands. I like when bands have alot of variation in their set. I guess their reason could be that some songs simply don't work live. I believe I read that Mikael said Moonlapse Vertigo, for instance, doesn't work live and they will never play it again. I do however have to say that I am looking forward to hearing Bleak live! It's one of my favorite Opeth songs, and they have not played it either of the two times I have seen them. Who knows though, they may be playing a different setlist every night. I know we'll find out when the concert reviews are posted after every show! I'm sure I won't be the only one to post one after the Chicago show :D