Setting Biases Aside...

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
...would you tell me to spend my hard-earned money on Devin Townsend?

I'm always looking for cool music.

Recently at the Metallica boards, two bands were hailed as bands that inspired awe...Dream Theater and Opeth.

When hearing Dream Theater, my impression was that they were excellent musicians, yet were unfocused as songwriters and since I haven't understood the hype. Mabye it's just not my thing.

When hearing Opeth, I understood the hype. The songs, in my opinion, are brilliant beyond measure and since then I have become a lifetime fan.

That's what I look for in music...an epic quality...virtuosity yet not sounding like 'musical maturbation.' Somthing that knocks me off my seat.

This is the hype I've heard from Devin Townsend...musical genius.

Again...I love hearing from bands or individuals who make my musical experience worth while. Who inhabit my heart and soul.

Can Devin Townsend achieve this?

Can he achieve this? His music covers a lot of ground, so you'd have to ask specific questions about each album.

Haha... Dream Theater = musical masturabtion (except for Portnoy: he's a god)

yes,devin is the most emotionally connecting artist in metal right now.NO ONE is more creative than him.

And the fact that he records,writes,produces,composes etc etc everything himself makes him THE god of music.

Originally posted by EvilGenius
Can he achieve this? His music covers a lot of ground, so you'd have to ask specific questions about each album.

Haha... Dream Theater = musical masturabtion (except for Portnoy: he's a god)

funny because I think Portnoy and Labrie are what make Dream Theater suck as of the last five years.

I personally don't listen to Dream Theater, although when I had heard them, I thought the drumming was stupidly amazing. If I was asked, Portnoy would be one of the few of the top of my head that i'd say was a drumming god. But if you listen to them regularly, or even use to, then your judgment is more valid than mine.

Overlord, just go to http://www.hevydevy.com and check out his projects. Order from there too because it's fast and reliable. Start with Ocean Machine, listen to it once, and see the genius that is Devin.

of course he can acheive this. an epic composer the likes of which has never been around before, at least in the history of heavy music. physicist/infinity/ocean machine/terria...all of them are beyond words, it just takes a while for them to click...but when they do.....

^ :lol:

no but for real....trust me dude, if you listen long enough it really just clicks, thats all i can say. someone said he was the most emotionally connecting artist in music, that is a good way of describing it. just really beyond words....

download songs like sit in the mountain, earth day, kingdom, truth, colonial boy, noisy pink bubbles, seventh wave, life.. fuck i cant even give recommendations because every song is so fucking good. i swear! :)