Seventh Wonder Song Meanings

RuRoRul

Mar 21, 2010
There's probably been threads about this but I was wondering what other people thought about the meaning of Seventh Wonder's lyrics.

Specifically, I was wondering what people knew / thought about the lyrics to:

Pieces
Banish The Wicked

I love Pieces, it's a really haunting song, but I still am not sure what it's lyrics are about exactly. And I'd love it if anyone could enlighten me a bit on the story of Banish The Wicked. It's very intriguing.

Also, I understand the entire Mercy Falls pretty well, but for me personally I'd love to hear people's views on the meaning of:

Break The Silence
Hide And Seek

Apart from the first bit of Break The Silence, obviously. I know there's been speculation about the meaning of those songs in general Mercy Falls discussions, but still.

Edit: Now includes all songs from The Great Escape

Break the Silence and Hide and Seek are just about the storm that passes through Mercy Falls, aren't they? I always interpreted the storm as the medical procedure the man goes through, which almost destroyed Mercy Falls entirely.

Yeah definitely, I was always just left wondering what they were about more specifically though. They seem to be about the old woman and a young boy connecting (during the aftermath of the storm), but I was never sure if the main character was the young boy or not, things like that.

Personally, I think there are some songs that encourage the use of one's imagination, leaving it open to interpretation of the listener.. Having no right or wrong meaning..

It's simply left to us :)

Well Banish The Wicked is obviously about a village that lives in fear of something which will punish them for disobedience, or requires sacrifices or something. People are scared about losing their children or loved ones to it if they aren't careful. The spoken word bit seems to be about someone getting sick of it and wanting to find a way to leave or save people from it.

Not sure what the goddess is though... or if it's actually a really killing people (with magic?) or if it's just the leaders of the village who are doing things while worshipping it. I thought the goddess might be a star or something which "dances across the heavens" but I'm thinking it's the northern lights? "Cause someone’s watching over them, Impaling every move with raging northern light".

Also I wasnt sure what, if anything, happens towards the end of the song. Maybe the guy in the spoken word bit dies?

Now that The Great Escape is out I'd love to know what anyone thinks about any of the lyrics. I understand pretty fully the lyrics to Move On Through and The Great Escape, what like to hear other people's thoughts on the others though.

The verse "A single note is all I need to fold him blind"...
I didn't know what fold him blind meant...but is that your interpretation of the word blindfold? It would make sense in the context of the song.

Now that The Great Escape is out I'd love to know what anyone thinks about any of the lyrics. I understand pretty fully the lyrics to Move On Through and The Great Escape, what like to hear other people's thoughts on the others though.

I've only given it a few run-throughs so far, but Alley Cat (now that I can read all the lyrics) seem to me to be from a dude's point of view when his girlfriend breaks up with him, and while he's broken hearted he still wants to see her....to be her 'friend with benefits', aka a f#$k buddy. At least that is my take. One cool thing about lyrics --- they don't always register the same with everyone. Fun stuff!

King of Whitewater, while I don't know that I get all of it, seems like it is about getting pulled in, a sort of selling your soul to the devil, because you really want something --- in this case, the person is swept away by the allure of incredible guitar work, I suppose --- teach me to play and I'll stay by your side....I'm so happy I could die ---- now there's a fine line!!!!! :)

I can postulate on lyrics until every single cow in the world comes home...!

Cheers all!
Mare

King of Whitewater appears to be a song about a serial killer and two of his victims.
Several clues here...the "violent" violin for one and it's mesmerizing music ("it's making you blind").
I think the chorus is the killer himself.
He preys on a boy's love for music to kidnap him and then goes after his grieving mother "with vengence on her mind".
Then apparently he puts them somewhere and the "water comes pouring in"...it's the very last song they will hear.
He plays the violin while they drown...it's really creepy, but man is the chorus catchy.
Would any of the band members comment on this interpretation? Reminds me a little of the video game Heavy Rain.

I pretty much agree with what you said about King of Whitewater...but what is the "white" in "whitewater" supposed to refer to, how is this water white?

Whitewater could be a name or it could refer to rapids - white water is formed when the river is flowing fast. I pretty much agree with the thoughts on that song - enchanting people with music and then luring them into the river to drown. I wonder if it's something supernatural or just a man though. Also, what do you think of the first verse of that song? Seems like people are afraid, like they know something by the river will lure them into it.

I think the chorus (or at least part of it) is the victims though. "Show me how to play and I'll surrender to you now" is obviously ffrom the point of view of the victims. The so happy parts could be both killer and victim though.

Angelmaker? Seems to be about someone who murders babies. Then gets hanged for it at the end, obviously. Who is Ofelia though? I looked it up but didn't see anything that fitted. Is it just a made up name?

From Wikipedia:
The Neck/Nixie (German: Nix/Nixe/Nyx) are shapeshifting water spirits who usually appear in human form. The spirit has appeared in the myths and legends of all Germanic peoples in Europe.

and further:
The Scandinavian näck, näkki, nøkk, nøkken, strömkarl, Grim or Fosse-Grim were male water spirits who played enchanted songs on the violin, luring women and children to drown in lakes or streams.

I'm pretty sure the bad guy in the song is this mythical character in Nordic folklore.

That would explain the first part of the song about "deep in the moonlight, someone's watching us with feelings unfelt". It almost reads like an urban legend. "Kids, watch out because after moonlight the boogeyman will get you"...so looking at it like this, we are reading the fates of two people who fell into the trap, both lured by this music (which also reminds me of Odysseus and the Sirens...always music luring men to their deaths). Also, though what does "fold him blind" mean in Swedish? Is it slang for "get the best of" or something?

In Angelmaker what is "carving nightmares out of dreams"...
Also, there appears to be money involved in this song...so I don't see how killing babies factors into "all the money I can carry"? On the other hand I could see how it would be "making angels". Maybe the Angelmaker is a nurse who is killing babies? Carving nightmares out of dreams...killing them in their sleep?

Good discussion guys...would love to hear band members chime in and let us know if we are on the right path...

Yes, we hear the story of a young boy lured by "Näcken" to the water, sadly the little boy's misstake is copied by his grieving mother. "Näcken" is a well known character in Sweden and there are even several sculptures of him around. This being one of the wierder examples (from Uppsala, north of Stockholm):
imgres

The "fold him blind" issue is difficult - as a Swedish speaking person I can't really see any connection to any Swedish phrase or slang. Maybe it's a question of artistic freedom and means the same as blindfold him? It is most likely "Näcken" himself who utters -A single note is all I need to fold him blind (= -A single note is all I need to blindfold him.)

Whitewater could be a name or it could refer to rapids - white water is formed when the river is flowing fast. I pretty much agree with the thoughts on that song - enchanting people with music and then luring them into the river to drown. I wonder if it's something supernatural or just a man though. Also, what do you think of the first verse of that song? Seems like people are afraid, like they know something by the river will lure them into it.

At first, King of Whitewater is, IMO, the best song in TGE. And here's some help to open the lyrical theme of that song. Straight from Andreas (this is originally from the interview which I used on my SW-article in finnish metal mag Inferno):

"King of Whitewater is based on Swedish folklore, about a being who plays the violins in the rapids in the woods, luring people into the water and then drowns them."

I had thought that KOWW was about a killer and I'd picked up that he killed a son then the grieving mother but I didn't know about the Folklore aspect of it. Thank you all for elaborating

Thanks, that really explains it a lot - I knew it seemed more like a ghost story almost, rather than a serial killer, especially because of they way it's spoken about in the first verse and the way people were enchanted by the music.

Think that pretty much makes it clear it's about a "Nacken" and the whitewater is refering to rapids.

In Angelmaker what is "carving nightmares out of dreams"...
Also, there appears to be money involved in this song...so I don't see how killing babies factors into "all the money I can carry"? On the other hand I could see how it would be "making angels". Maybe the Angelmaker is a nurse who is killing babies? Carving nightmares out of dreams...killing them in their sleep?

I was thinking it could perhaps be a nurse or nanny or something for the money bit to make sense. It definitely involves killing babies though "small feet won't touch the ground" etc., even the chorus "from the cradle to the grave" has much more meaning when you know that. There are a lot of bits to the song I'm not sure about though, and I don't know if Ofelia is some existing character or just a name they've chosen.

I was thinking it could perhaps be a nurse or nanny or something for the money bit to make sense. It definitely involves killing babies though "small feet won't touch the ground" etc., even the chorus "from the cradle to the grave" has much more meaning when you know that. There are a lot of bits to the song I'm not sure about though, and I don't know if Ofelia is some existing character or just a name they've chosen.
It could be both at the same time. Opheila is a character in shakespeares hamlet, but i don't know anything about that so I can't connect it story wise. however, since the album has a very poetic touch (see king of whitewater, TGE) this name would fit well, even for an invented character

Heh, here's another helper, I guess this wont done any harm to anyone either, at least not for me or my article, and after all, it is an interview. So this is what mr B. said about AngelMaker:

"I came up with the concept but Tommy developed it and wrote all the lyrics. I found an article about “Änglamakerskor” in Swedish which roughly translated to Angelmaker. In Sweden during the late eighteen hundreds a lot of children were born by poor, unwed young women. They were often forced to hand their children away because they could not care for them. The government then paid for orphanages to care for the children. Some privately run such institution made a routine of abusing the children and not feeding them properly etc. until they finally died, and turned into angels supposedly. This song deals with a famous Swedish, such angelmaker, that was ultimately sentenced to death."

This is a really creeping and heartbreaking story I think. Very important subject to take a stance on thou.

EDIT: typos

Well that would explain the "you're such a snake, rattle and shake"...I guess grabbing them and abusing the kids. Man, that is really haunting and powerful. Knowing what it is about makes it much more important in my eyes...thanks sirclansman for these insights. :)