Shadow Gallery

What does everyone think of Shadow Gallery? I got into them through Tyranny. I listened to clips of it at FYE at the mall two days before Glorious Burden came out when I was out looking for advance copies. I immediately picked it up, since it sounded extremely cool!! I love the band and want to hear more stuff from them. Since they sound a good bit like Dream Theater (who are not very well liked in this forum), I am unsure of how people in this SymX fan community feel about Shadow Gallery.

Shadow Gallery is one of my favorites bands. "Carved in a Stone "was the best disc of 1995 on the prog scene IMO. They sound a little bit like DT, but they have a better singer.

The main problem with SG is playing live. They have never been on tour, and thats a vital fact for any band, because in the sudio miracles can happen...

Chirs Ingles is one of the most underated keyboardist, hes so good...his piano solo on "Ghostship" will be memorable. o_O

I think Shadow Gallery kicks major ass, but they could lose some of those repetitive choruses and some of those acoustic parts that kinda drag on. I love the long songs though. They're one of the best bands in their genre, I think.

They've been around for awhile. I think they're very talented musicians and writers, and I hope sometime they can get a live thing together (they never perform live). Joe is an incredible drummer and a very nice person. SG is a part-time thing for these guys, and it takes years between recordings, but it's worth the wait, in my opinion.

I have Carved, Tyranny, and Legacy. They've provided lots of entertainment while they lasted, nowadays I just find the albums to be a little boring. Even so, I look forward to any new albums they plan to release.

The Metal Chick said:
I've heard some of their songs and I enjoy them. They haven't really grabbed me as like an awesome band, but its enjoyable stuff and I'm interested in getting their CDs.
Same here.

I love Tyranny, I think it's brilliant. However, none of their other stuff has ever really captivated me the way that album did. A few songs on Carved in Stone are good, but Tyranny is above and beyond their best effort.

Agreed, Tyranny is the second best concept album in the world i think, not as good as "V" but better than Scenes From a Memory...
When i heard "New World Order" for the first time on my discman and it was totally silent and dark around me, that moment was maybe among my best musical experiences to date...

But i do miss a better production and a MUCH better guitarsound, it really thin and weak. It is not justifying the quality of the excellent musicianship!

S. Gallery is one of my favorite bands. I have all their albums and never get tired of them. They are master musicians and brilliant song writers. I have had the pleasure of meeting Gary Wehrkamp and he is a cool dude, with immense talent.

As far as the live thing, I do know that 2 of the guys are devote family men and are not interested in leaving their family. Also, they all have GREAT jobs and can't leave for 3-4 weeks. The rehersals alone would take an enormous amount of time. It would be a great tour though!!!

SG, Tyranny is one of the best Prog albums ever. It is a deep concept and the whole album CANNOT be absorbed in 1-2 sittings. SG's music is way over most peoples head's.

I have heard a new SG album is due out in the fall. :tickled:

----------------------

We are a prog label seeking insigned bands. Check us out.
www.lonewolfmusic.com

I like them but they get a lot of stick apparently due to the fact that the singer is not good enough to do live show, so say my vast contacts, hey some of us just have friends in high places! (stolen from other forum)

*laughs* considering that Mike Baker used to do plenty of live shows before joining SG (and has been chomping at the bit to do some with SG for years now), that's some pretty off-the-mark info..

this particular info provided by Baker himself.

For a long time, I thought "Tyranny" was the best prog album ever. Then I got "V" and "Tyranny" dropped to 2nd place. Then I got "Scenes From a Memory" and it instantly took the no. 1 of my all-time-favourites.

Still I like "Tyranny" and "Carved In Stone" a lot, but I was a bit disappointed of their latest output "Legacy". I am also disappointed with their website, it's absolutely useless, you read nothing about a potential new album.

I would like to hear more of them but they will never become a great factor in music business with their "lazyness". What a pity...