Shipping a guitar amp??

mva801

Nov 18, 2009
How do you guys prefer to ship something large and heavy like an amp? I'm listing my Mark V on ebay and I've never shipped anything that big before. I can look up the weight and get quotes from ups and what not, but should I just take it down there to package it up? I wouldn't use peanuts and stuff for something that heavy. What materials should I use and where's the best place to get them from to make sure the amp would arrive safe and perfect? I've heard if you get materials at the UPS store they're over-priced....

Your experiences/ methods in this regard would help me a lot...

1. Double Box
- Amp > packing material > First box > packing material > second box.

2. Pack Tight
- Make sure you pack tight so there is no movement of amp inside boxes

3. Document your packing thoroughly
- Take pictures of every step from multiple angles if possible - this will save your ass if anything happens. Always do this.

4. Measure and weigh your package
- You can use a common bathroom weight scale to get an approximation of weight

5. Estimate shipping cost
- easily done online, but overshoot your weight and size a little bit.

I've taken stuff to the UPS store and it's super easy, they'll pack it up and do everything for you, but you won't have photo documentation of the actual packing for use if something happens and you need to claim insurance or solve a paypal dispute. You can get packing materials at office supply stores or even walmart.

Also, this is optional, but you may want to remove the tubes, pack them up in their own small box with material and then store them in the head...Make sure you note that to the buyer so they don't just try to fire the amp up and freak out that it's not working, lol.

You can go to Guitar Center and ask for an empty guitar box, they usually have a couple and might even have one from a Mark amp.

Otherwise some shipping places will use these foam bags that they pump with foam and it keeps the amp in place.

+1 for double boxing and pack as much as you can. Buy the insurance through UPS, it's worth the extra few dollars.

You never know what could happen to it. The first and only time I shipped an amp head, the buyer said when he got it the box was soaked in some sort of oil or liquid that looked like it got spilled on but thankfully it did not leak through the 2nd inside box!

i've shipped a couple of amps, and have never double boxed...but it sounds like a damned good idea. more than anything, make sure the corners of the amp reinforced, and that there's a good 4" or so between the amp and box that's just stuffed full of packing material

i'd also suggest removing the tubes and wrapping them in bubble wrap or shipping paper inside the head...i've seen more than 1 story of amps showing up with the tubes busted all to hell inside.

Also, It's totally acceptable to make a big box out of other boxes, just use plenty of tape and make sure it's sturdy. I used to ship stuff about every day when I sold hifi audio equipment via ebay. Double boxing was standard for us. I was trying to find some pics, but can't find any right now.

I've shipped amps a couple of times without any problems. Just make sure it's packed tight as hell and fully insured. I use masses of bubble wrap, thick polystyrene and make sure to protect the corners!

Basically if you're not confident it would survive a trip down the stairs then you're not done yet.

Tube amp = pull the tubes and package them in a proper tube holder.

Bought my Mark IV off Ebay a while back and it showed up in a krinkled up box and all the power tubes were in the sockets - but broken.

Was a bit upset about that. Contacted seller, he said he's never had an issue like that and would reimburse or pay the insurance, etc. Never got resolved.

Ok thanks guys. I'll pull out the tubes, but there's like 11 or 12 in here. Fucking Mesa. 4 power tubes, a rectifier, and 7 preamp tubes or some junk.

Preamp tubes I would think can stay put, those suckers are usually in there tight and are so lightweight I doubt they're going anywhere even with vigorous shaking (unlikely with a 60 lb. box), and truck/plane vibration will be minimized of course by the packaging

Yeah, you only need to pull the power tubes. Number them as well as the sockets so the buyer can pop them back in without a rebias. Wrap them up in bags or bubble wrap, sellotape to the back-plate of the amp and then fit the back-plate so the tubes are on the inside of the amp. They'll stay put and have the amp casing as additional protection. It's a squeeze to do it with some amps, but I did this with an Orange Rockerverb I sold recently, and it was perfect.