Shit vs Gold......A Rant

Pastor Digger

Soul saved for $6.66
Jul 13, 2008
Heaven!!
Okay, perhaps I'll get flamed here for posting a rant like this but here we go anyway!:)

This thread is directed only at some people here.

I want to say that it is always interesting when people say that a band has "turned to shit" or is a "shit band" or whatever. It's especially interesting that some of the bands being accused of producing "shit" also happen to be imo some of the best bands IMO!!

For example: Dream Theater, Nightwish, Porcupine Tree, etc. etc....

For a band to really be "shit", I expect it to sound like shit!

Does anyone here TRULY think Dream theater, Nightwish, or Porcupine Tree is really producing shit now?

It's one thing to say you don't like a band's new releases anymore because they have: "Gone too soft", "Gone too heavy", "become too generic or mainstream", "the new cd sounds rushed or pushed out", "The new singer is not as unique or talented as the former singer of X Band", and on it goes.

Those are valid opinions. But to simply pass a very talented band off as "SHIT" because YOU don't like whatever changes the band has made is a harsh judgement and execution. Furthermore, I would like to see any of the people calling these bands newer material shit, try and do an album as good as the band they're accusing of becoming shit!

If you say this or that band is shit, then why can't you produce shit at the same level as that band? You mean, you can't even make shit?!:ill: It's easy to be an armchair critic passing off harsh judgements to others even though you couldn't do half as good yourself even if you tried!

Also, by passing such a harsh judgment off on a band (which are oftentimes very talented bands!) you are basically saying: "If this band changes style or does something that I don't like then it is shit!"

Hmmm.....Words like that must come from a supreme being perhaps?

It's fine for people to have opinions, and I'm not trying to censor anybody, (not that I could anyway), but I'm asking people to try and have at least a little bit of an open mind to a band changing directions sometimes without you calling it shit. I don't particularly like country or rap, but I won't call it shit. It's just not a style I like to listen to.

Now having said all this, I will admit there's some "musicians" who really don't have musical talent but still want to put their songs up on myspace for people to hear, and some of it really does sound quite bad to my ears. as in, the person can't sing in tune even with autotune!, the music is not thought out very good, and recorded very poorly. Yes, there are always going to be a certain percentage of people who are not musically gifted but still try anyway! With some of these people doing music, it's obvious to anybody's ears that it's not good sounding.

But I highly doubt that Dream Theater, for instance, has ever produced a "shit" album. They are true professionals that maybe wanted to do something that you didn't expect or like so much, but I've never heard them produce a shitty cd!

I have no doubt there's some people who might accuse Katatonia's NITND cd as being "shit" because it has more electronics and softer passages than ever before. Hopefully there are very few with an opinion like that, as it seems most really love the new Katatonia cd! Myself included. But what if Katatonia does something that you don't like on their next cd but the Kat boys like what they did? It doesn't mean it's shit!

I'm waiting for some flaming arrows to fly in my direction now:cool:

The new Dream Theater is pretty damn boring tbh though, not gonna lie. I agree shit is an exaggerated description of most music, but the Dream Theater thing is a whole 'nother argument and I assure you people have legit reasons for disliking them..

Dream Theater: After Scenes From A Memory I don't care too much about them...
Nightwish: Always shit...what do they make that makes them any good? Sugar coated rock/metal for d and d nerds.
Porcupine Tree: Hit or miss with me.

Those are valid opinions. But to simply pass a very talented band off as "SHIT" because YOU don't like whatever changes the band has made is a harsh judgement and execution. Furthermore, I would like to see any of the people calling these bands newer material shit, try and do an album as good as the band they're accusing of becoming shit!

Okay, I read your post and thought it as an interesting point of view TILL that highlighted part. "Try to do better yourself" thats like the worst argument EVER invented. I mean you can use that everywhere trying to defend your own band on point of interest without really making any difference. I've read numerous comments about the Metallicas Death Magnetic albums where Metallica's fans always say that "if you dont like that album, try making a better one yourself". What the fuck?! it really irritates me sometimes because not everyone are (D'OH!) musicians or something like that.

But you have a pretty decent idea of a thread there :p. I myself dont care commenting about that subject because im going to bed haha.. maybe tomorrow!

so many people like this. out of the thousands of flameing arrow i could hurl at you for that rant i will only say that if you ever love a band (and their style or whatever) and then the turn around and make an album or two or 5 albums that are not at the same calibur on any level as that one that changed your life, do you really think that person/people dont have to like it simply "cause they're talented musicains guys! show some love!" just because you are.... accepting enough to not call rap, contr, ect. shit doesn't mean people with a narrower view of music have to accept what their once favorite band produces. so if you require that people say "this is shit imo" instead of "this is shit" then i think you should realize how idiotic that sounds.

Well, I won't say that I require anyone to use "this is shit...imo". I can't require anything of anybody. I just wanted to point out that, in my opinion, I think some people are putting such a harsh extreme label of "shit" to some very brilliant albums that are very far removed from shit! And only because a band or a bands new album didn't meet THEIR/YOUR expectations!

You/We don't have to like any album from any band if it doesn't move us in some ways. Just because there are great musicians out there that can, and do, produce some incredible sounding compositions doesn't mean we have to like it, of course. But it also doesn't mean it's shit just because we don't like it either!:)

I guess by some peoples opinions I like shit!! Because I happen to like the new Nightwish as well as the newest Dream Theater. Not saying their newest releases are my favorite, but they are a far cry apart from waste that gets squeezed out of an asshole! In fact, overall they are quite impressive.

I think people are very prone to becoming very attached to certain memories and feelings associated with a certain album from a period of their life, and then when that band(s) changes a little (or a lot) it upsets them. But I think if people can approach some of these amazing albums on there own merit they could also attach some very good feelings/emotions if they allowed themselves to. But of course, each to their own. Music is so subjective anyway like failure of threads said.

Kitiini: Well I do think that if people are saying that a band is producing something so bad as shit then there is something worthwhile to ask that person or people if they could even produce shit any better? Maybe it's not the best argument to use on my part but if people pass such a harsh judgement to others then can they live up to their own standards of what they are name calling shit? I only say this because of the extreme judgement and name calling some of these people pass about these bands. Opinions are different.

This thread is more of an attempt to point out narrow mindedness shit slinging than to get anyone to like a certain band or album.

I agree with you Pastor Digger. I think there are many people in these forums who will sling shit at music simply because they are not into the style of music or because it doesnt fit their criteria of whatever sound they believe to be truly musical. However, these people (mostly extreme metal, ambient, or black metal elitists) usually have absolutely no fucking clue what good music sounds like; they just love being part of an obscure, eclectic sub-culture which loves to dismiss most types of music! And most of these people are also completely musically uneducated. They have no idea what pitch, harmony, or rhythm do to manifest wholesome sounding music.. Eh... I could go on..

It is a one way street trying to build open mindedness in people who are closed minded.

I agree with you Pastor Digger. I think there are many people in these forums who will sling shit at music simply because they are not into the style of music or because it doesnt fit their criteria of whatever sound they believe to be truly musical. However, these people (mostly extreme metal, ambient, or black metal elitists) usually have absolutely no fucking clue what good music sounds like; they just love being part of an obscure, eclectic sub-culture which loves to dismiss most types of music! And most of these people are also completely musically uneducated. They have no idea what pitch, harmony, or rhythm do to manifest wholesome sounding music.. Eh... I could go on..

It is a one way street trying to build open mindedness in people who are closed minded.

Wow, a lot of truth in this statement. I try to explore different types of music, though at the same time I know what I like and what I don't like. But man, do I ever hate it when people stop supporting a band because they start getting a larger fanbase and they can not "keep said band to themselves" anymore. Some people will support pure audible chaos just because it's a sound that most others will not like.
Jack

2191512765_8e585ce2a8.jpg

Some people will support pure audible chaos just because it's a sound that most others will not like.
Jack

Maybe a very small percentage of fans of said music. But it's still an artform that, frankly, you probably don't understand, so just leave it at this and we're good.

Maybe a very small percentage of fans of said music. But it's still an artform that, frankly, you probably don't understand, so just leave it at this and we're good.

Much like how someone can put a bunch of chopped up bologna on a bed and call it "art" (look it up, an "artist" really did that). The word "art" is used so loosely anymore that it can sometimes be nothing but an excuse for pure, unfiltered madness.
Jack

Yea but you've already demonstrated that you really are close-minded when it comes to metal. Did you say something implying you couldn't even enjoy Katatonia's growls?