Shit vs Gold......A Rant

Yea but you've already demonstrated that you really are close-minded when it comes to metal. Did you say something implying you couldn't even enjoy Katatonia's growls?

Not liking growls is not close mindedness, it's personal preference. I always give music a listen before I cast it to the side. Now, if I said "I have never heard growls before but I know I wouldn't like it anyways" then that would be close minded. I heard it though and I don't like it.
Jack

My 2 cents:

I grew up being taught never to compare myself to the people around me, be it athletics, school or music. When I came home for a practice and my parents asked me how it went or what I learned I was usually reprimanded when my answer was relative to somebody else. According to them, you don't reach your full potential when your goal is to be better than your neighbor, you blossom when you're constantly challenging yourself.

That's how I look at music. Any Dream Theater album is going to be gold relative to a high school garage band. I'm not going to say that Dream Theater is bad, I enjoy most of what I've heard from them (up to Octavarium). In general terms though, I still say that a band, even a band of their magnitude is fully capable of putting out shit. When a band doesn't challenge themselves, when they stagnate and don't push their boundaries, when I can't hear an improvement (or at least something new) from release to release, I'll usually stop listening and move on, deeming it shit.

even a band of their magnitude is fully capable of putting out shit.

But in all fairness, Dont you think that the band themself has made an album they are proud of?
I honestly dont think that bands are lying when every band, in every interview, tend to say "our latest is our greatest" although it is a worn out saying.

My humble opinion;
Rating a band/album as "Shit" states that you somehow think the band makes music for you, and not for themselves. if i dont like music, i dont listen to it, but i always try to see whats good in everything.

.......My humble opinion;
Rating a band/album as "Shit" states that you somehow think the band makes music for you, and not for themselves. if i dont like music, i dont listen to it, but i always try to see whats good in everything.

Smart point. And, you're also correct that most every band (probably 99.5%!) believe their newest to be their best like you said.

The narcissist fan says:
"If you change your music from what I like about your band YOU'LL CREATE SHIT!!!! Stay stuck instead within the box I like, and then I may enjoy it more. But if you stay stuck like I want you to, I reserve the right to accuse you of not taking chances and growing in which case I might also get pissed!! So please call me up on the phone Musician so I can tell you how I want it and don't worry about the other fans, because you're doing this for Meeeee right?....right?"

Okay, I'm getting tired now. time for bed before I start :zombie:

Not liking growls is not close mindedness, it's personal preference. I always give music a listen before I cast it to the side. Now, if I said "I have never heard growls before but I know I wouldn't like it anyways" then that would be close minded. I heard it though and I don't like it.
Jack

But if you can't appreciate growls you really can't possibly understand most extreme metal, I mean that's one of the first steps..

Honestly I would love to hear you (Flawed) analyze some of this "pure audible chaos" because that would really clear some stuff up for me. You could easily prove me wrong, but right now I think you're just full of shit and are just utterly oblivious to some of the things going on in some music.

Saying a band sucks, with or without "mature" argumentation, is everyone's right. The ones who get butthurt are the ones who probably shouldn't be reading shit they can't handle on the interwebz.
That's true really. It's everyone's choice to take offence or not. I used to get upset about people saying such things too, but realized soon it's pointless and you're only making it harder for yourself.

You can't blame someone for not always fully backing up his/her opinion. Sometimes you just feel a certain way about something, you're pissed off about a direction chosen by some band/artist and it pissed you off, you're gonna say it's "shit". It's all just emotion/opinion at the end of the day.

You can't blame someone for not always fully backing up his/her opinion. Sometimes you just feel a certain way about something, you're pissed off about a direction chosen by some band/artist and it pissed you off, you're gonna say it's "shit". It's all just emotion/opinion at the end of the day.

True, but just ´cause you think something is crap does´nt necessary force you to say it.
I you cant add something to a discussion ("this is good because.." or "This is bad because...") you might as well keep your mouth shut.
Also, to take it a step further, to say it in front of the persons who made said record (which includes on they´re forum) is plain rude. ( i know noone did that yet, but just for the sake of arguing :) )

Honestly I would love to hear you (Flawed) analyze some of this "pure audible chaos" because that would really clear some stuff up for me. You could easily prove me wrong, but right now I think you're just full of shit and are just utterly oblivious to some of the things going on in some music.

Both of you have pretty shitty perceptions of music sometimes tbh. ;)

True, but just ´cause you think something is crap does´nt necessary force you to say it.
I you cant add something to a discussion ("this is good because.." or "This is bad because...") you might as well keep your mouth shut.

I agree 100% with everything you've said. There's usually both good, and bad to everything. I think you should either find something constructive to say or don't say anything thing at all. If all you're going to do is be lazy, and say something is "shit" or it "rocks" then why say anything at all? But I do realize this is the internet. You can't stop a person with a keyboard, and a limited intellect. Do note that I mean no offense to anyone here as I find the majority of you are pretty down to earth people. Not to mention that I can be pretty lazy sometimes myself, but I try my hardest to keep my mouth shut if I don't have anything worth while to contribute. However I won't start a fight, but I'll certainly end it. There's no worth in being passive.

Look...

This is obviously over the new album.

Katatonia have evolved, the fact that they could do better live etc is another discussion.

But I have listened to the new album a bit now and quite frankly its good, but its just not got the magic I loved when they used to write songs rather than copy paste stuff together.

I have listened hard and put LFDGD on again recently and I am sorry but no matter how god the new album is its just not got any powerful songwriting.

Yes its good ok, its a good fucking album, I think I like it.

But it the first album where I feel stuck wishing for something more, the first time I have felt that.

So this thread is fair to those making a fast point and calling it shit, but not everyone is going to come here and write a long reason behind their feelings, they probably have more of a life than you or me.

Katatonia have made 9 or so studio albums, for a ninth album to still be good is fantastic. At the same time, music industry is changing, and everyone who was or is a fan changes.

Its not shit thogh, its just not something that I would refer to when I wanted some real Katatonia. The lead guitars have gone, fair enough, the riffs have pretty much dried up (shame) and the vocals are a bit too loose. But then the bass is class, the drums are fantastic, the atmosphere and production are great.

However the songwriting has taken a sidestep, and that is a bad sacrifice.

But its not shit, just a sidestep.