Should I stay or should I go?

King Richard

Hello there
Mar 23, 2006
Wouldn't you like to know
A couple of my friends got me interested in joining the reserves. I'm not going to lie, I missed parts of the military. But don't get me wrong, I'm not joining the Marine Corps ever again. Been there, done that.

During my research of the different branches of reserves, I started stumbling into curiouser and curiouser information pertaining to them. I almost sold myself due to the fact that a recruiter I talked to was willing to give me a $20,000 signing bonus and a bunch of other jazz to join the Air Force and Navy reserve. But a funny thing happened when I was reading up on some Navy ratings (jobs). I found this program called the Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program. Basically what this is is a program that literally pays you (anywhere from $2,000 - $4,000 a month) to go to college full-time while maintaining a gpa of >2.7 (a joke, I know right?). So from the start I was pretty intrigued as you can imagine. Using this program, I'd be able to graduate with a BS two years faster than I would be with my current situation.

The more I looked into this, the more stuff I found, especially after I milked some more information out of an officer recruiter. I found that you can have your salary stipulated in your contract to reflect the following: $50,000 base pay for the first two years, $60,000 after two years, $80,000 after 4 years.

Basically what this is saying is, after my first 4 year enlistment contract is up, I could renegotiate a new contract based off of my old one stating that after my fourth year as an officer in the Navy (the branch I would join, fuck the Army and Air Fags =P), I would be entitled to a base salary of $80,000. Excuse me while I think that is a completely insane figure. Doctors don't get get paid that much within such a short period of time, but this recruiter was more than willing to get me to sign the dotted line asap.

Toss in the fact that I'd receive a $20,000 sign on bonus as well (payable once I completed my job training), free medical benefits, 30 days of paid leave (vacation), housing allowance, more tuition assistance via the Montgomery G.I. Bill and some other program that helps you complete your masters, and you've got the makings of one insane career. I did the math myself, and I could easily be making over $100k after 10-15 years. And in another 5-10, I could be retired with a full pension and retirement plan, along with all of the other benefits I could reap from the VA.

With all this in mind, should I do it? Better yet, would you?

edit: I just realized this rant sounded pretty Dave-esque, but whatever, it's an interesting discussion.

if I were in a situation where I wanted to and could leave the city and I had an interest in the forces, absolutely, you seem the type of person who can and would want to do it (especially since you've already served in the Corp) and trying to find a job that won't exclusively pay your gas and McDonalds is hard right now. I would probably go for it if I were you (literally 'if I were you', not 'do this or be stupid').

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. Once you get a taste of the world like Japan, Australia, Korea, Thailand, Phillipines, and to a degree Afghanistan and Iraq (they had their moments, albeit brief moments), you get somewhat addicted. I mean, I look back at the past few years of my life and I have basically nothing to show for it aside from a bunch of headaches having to do with shitty jobs, and have completed about 1/4 of my degree.

I guess it differs from person to person. The military is very interesting and can literally show you the world if you allow it. I think it's a great opportunity, especially considering I'd rejoin as an officer instead of an enlisted member.

Even more interesting nugget is that I'd have to go to Officer Candidate School which is basically the pussified version of the Marine Corps boot camp. I thought boot camp was kind of fun. Besides, how many people can claim that went through that type of boot camp twice, willingly? :lol:

Just incase anyone is interested, the difference between this OCS and Marine Corps boot camp is the following:

No field outings. Meaning you won't have to spend time out in the hills of Camp Pendleton for weeks on end with your warpaint on.

No rifle drill. I thought this was pretty fucking stupid. They used to have it up until a few years ago, but they replaced it with sword drill, which I guess is pretty interesting considering I've never done it.

No rifle qualification. They use pistols instead (gay). Apparently the Navy has never heard of the Rifleman's Creed.

They get assigned rooms, instead of squad bays.

No hiking. Thank fucking god, I hiked enough up the mountains in Hawaii to last me a lifetime.

Liberty (free time) on the weekends for the most part. Seriously? That's pretty sweet.

That's all I can think of for now.

If it really is as good as it sounds and there are no hidden "catches" and I were you I would do it. I am not sure I would do it personally, but that is because of my personality and not thinking I could deal with a military lifestyle.

Like others and yourself have pointed out, the economy is in a shitty place and this position is full of cool possibilities.

Enjoy killing strangers in the name of a government that doesn't give a shit about you.

He is thinking about the Navy reserves you stupid fuck. He will not be killing anyone.

Have you posted anything worth reading or just 54 posts or worthless shit? My guess is the latter from what I have seen.

Darling you gotta let me know
Should I stay or should I go
If you say that you are mine
Ill be here til the end of time
So you got to let me know
Should I stay or should I go?

Enjoy killing strangers in the name of a government that doesn't give a shit about you.

So you're saying those skittle trails I made in the sand for unsuspecting children to follow and subsequently trigger the claymore I planted that turned them into a pink mist and a memory was wrong? Ah shit, I must be going to hell then.

ANARCHY FTW D00DS!!1

Hey King, two quick questions for ya.

What branch(job) did you decide on when you joined the corps?

...and to be honest I have been thinking about joining. I have mixed feeling about it. As an officer I am curious what you think? basically what I am asking is; Was it for you? and do you advise any alternative?

anyway it sounds like you have a golden opportunity! If I was you I'd jump on it man!

I wish you luck.

I was an 0351 Infantry Assaultman. Here's a basic rundown of what that job entails:

per about.com
The infantry assaultman employs rockets, the Anti-Personnel Obstacle Breaching System (APOBS), and demolitions. Assaultmen provide rocket fire against fortified positions in support of the rifle squads, platoons, and companies within the infantry battalion. Additionally, assaultmen employ APOBS, demolitions, and breaching/infiltration techniques to facilitate infantry maneuver in the offense, and demolitions and expedient counter mobility measures in the defense. Assaultmen are found in the assault sections of weapons platoons of the infantry rifle companies. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as gunners, team, squad, and section leaders.

Well personally, after I graduated high school I had no real direction. I didn't want to go to college and waste my time and/or my parents cash on a degree that I may or may not end up even liking. So I decided to join the Corps just to get out and see some shit (understatement alert). After I got out I realized that having a college degree would probably be a wise move because I don't to have to resort to being a grunt all my life.

I always told myself if I ever rejoined the military, I would have to be an officer. They have it made in the military. They get paid at least double the salary that enlisted men do. Although they garner more responsibility, the good outweighs the bad. There's no denying that the benefits the military gives you are arguably the best in the world. Most civilian jobs require you to work there for years on end just to earn 2 weeks of paid vacation. Right off the bat as an officer you are given 30 paid vacation days. You are paid a monthly allowance for housing, married or not. Free medical and dental coverage. Blah blah blah, just so many benefits it's really hard to talk about them all.

If you can handle the structure and discipline it takes to be in the military, being an officer is probably one of the best jobs in the world.

The Corps was a one time thing in my opinion. I become exactly what I thought I would; a killer. I'll never join the Marine Corps again though. After a while the people start to annoy you. Too much bullshit involved, and they are all a bunch of assholes. The two virtues instilled in you when you first join are is nothing but bullshit. Most of the Marines I met were lying shitbags and just wanted to power trip on you because they thought they were hardcore. It was fun to see them crack under pressure though.

What do you mean by alternative? You mean like just going to college and getting a boring civilian job? Sure I guess. =P

I was an 0351 Infantry Assaultman. Here's a basic rundown of what that job entails:

per about.com

Well personally, after I graduated high school I had no real direction. I didn't want to go to college and waste my time and/or my parents cash on a degree that I may or may not end up even liking. So I decided to join the Corps just to get out and see some shit (understatement alert). After I got out I realized that having a college degree would probably be a wise move because I don't to have to resort to being a grunt all my life.

I always told myself if I ever rejoined the military, I would have to be an officer. They have it made in the military. They get paid at least double the salary that enlisted men do. Although they garner more responsibility, the good outweighs the bad. There's no denying that the benefits the military gives you are arguably the best in the world. Most civilian jobs require you to work there for years on end just to earn 2 weeks of paid vacation. Right off the bat as an officer you are given 30 paid vacation days. You are paid a monthly allowance for housing, married or not. Free medical and dental coverage. Blah blah blah, just so many benefits it's really hard to talk about them all.

If you can handle the structure and discipline it takes to be in the military, being an officer is probably one of the best jobs in the world.

The Corps was a one time thing in my opinion. I become exactly what I thought I would; a killer. I'll never join the Marine Corps again though. After a while the people start to annoy you. Too much bullshit involved, and they are all a bunch of assholes. The two virtues instilled in you when you first join are is nothing but bullshit. Most of the Marines I met were lying shitbags and just wanted to power trip on you because they thought they were hardcore. It was fun to see them crack under pressure though.

What do you mean by alternative? You mean like just going to college and getting a boring civilian job? Sure I guess. =P

I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm sure it's even worse on the "ground" side.

I couldn't go back into being a "hired gun" myself, but if I had decided to stay in, officer is most definitely the way to go for all the reasons you listed and more.
I looked at MECEPing a couple of years ago, I had all my paperwork together but couldn't get all the signatures prior to the deadline due to key signing officers being absent at the time. So glad now that it didn't work out, but I looked all into it and at the time becoming an officer looked like the best possible financial move that someone who can deal with the bullshit could make.

Read the fine print. I know nothing but my intuition says that there's one motherfucker of a catch.