Shred 1.01 CSV Guitar Suite Public Beta(PC VST)

JohnnyMcFly

May 11, 2009
Shred Guitar Suite
Shred is a full featured suite with 5 effects, 14 Cabinets, 5 heads and, 14 adjustable Rooms.

The heads included in Shred, are called them "ISH" heads..as in MARSHALL-ISH, FENDER-ISH, VOX-ISH. None of these heads are exact and are not intended to be. They could be thought of as heads with heavy mods if you like, but I prefer to think of them as ISH heads. Most of you know that ABG's mandate is to attempt to create new technology, not just spin out the same stuff that every company does. Shred does not represent a departure from that ideology, all of these heads are original works, but, they have characteristics of their real world counterparts. Some I looked at schematics, some I just created. The Shred head itself is an example of a completely original head, whereas the Honken head is basically a Fender Bassman with a Notch filter applied at the power amp stage, an ABG original first gain stage, and an extra gain stage in the poweramp similar to the gain stage of a linebacker. The result was AC30-ISH tone!

Here's the 5 heads..and their characteristics..

Shred
Shred is for all out rock and is similar in some ways to a Boogie

Honken
Honken is a classic British Vox-ish type head

Marvel
Marvel is a mixture of a JCM and a Hiwatt 50, It is capable of similar tones to each of these heads.

Quarter
Quarter is capable of classic Fender-ish tones.

Supersound 1972
This is based on a Supergroup and a Gibson GA77. It is capable of generating dark early sabbath type tones, but is not very good at creating the shimmering type tone of a GA77...

It should be also assumed that any component ideas that are based on real world components, also contain original code within. This is required as some things just don't work together and one needs to MacGyver components to fit.

Just a note on input volume, since there is no manual for this as it is not an official release

Shred allows you to adjust the amount of input level it receives, But what it does not do is tell you when you need to adjust it.. If you have selected a preset that is labelled clean and you hear distortion, you need to turn down the input level. If you load a preset that is called Shred or Crunch and you don't hear distortion, its clean, then you need to turn up the input volume. Don't get input volume confused with the input on the Cab, the gain, level, or power drive knobs. These are all level controls that are internal to Shred. Instead, on the right hand side of the plug beside where the effects appear, there is a small Square button, this allows you to adjust the input level.

If you are bypassing the head, cabinet, or both...before you click these buttons.

TURN YOUR LEVELS DOWN!!!!

When Shred receives the signal the first thing it does is lower it to a level it finds easier to work with. This is done because of the accumulative nature of Preampus Technology(Yes Shred contains some Preampus components).

Here you go guys..
KM

EDIT:
Thanks for your help guys I took this down until I get the finished version done

EDIT EDIT:
This Might be the finished version, but it is still in Release Candidate status. So there may not be anymore code added but there will for sure be one more build. This is to fix 2 things...Problems in Steinberg Products, and Preset saving.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/923791/Shred%201.01%20RC1%20B.rar
KM

Yeah It is an updated DLL I just used the same link so that I only have to change in one place not like 20 on the web..

KM

Looking forward to trying this, but I won't be able to do any testing until tomorrow, most likely. Thanks once again for the killer plugs!

Thanks Brett...As Always I appreciate your information, interest..and for taking the time to check it out..

KM

going to download and give it a try...

update: Ok, I replaced the instances of SoloC and TSE I had in a session with this and couldn't get anything but low volume and muffled tones out of it... got kind of frustrating... I haven't used much of the ABG stuff before for similar reasons...

I do however LOVE the Honken amp for clean tones... good stuff.

AuidioPhile thanks for checking it out, what is and has been happening to you is that we are not supporting samplerates higher than 48,000. 88 and 96 will not work with our plugs. Delays and verbs and stuff like that will work at higher samplerates but our ampsims will not.

I have been asked multiple times when we were going to start supporting higher samplerates. This is a two fold answer. As soon as we step above 48000 our ampsim plugs loose their internal status as release-able. This is because the extra Processing that a Higher samplerate takes causes the cpu amount to jump beyond what we allow as acceptable. We allow 11-15% CPU per plug(On our development system). At 48k that is doable, but at 88k it is not. So, the choice is..

Supporting Higher Samplerate
-Skipping samples = less audio
-Removal of components = Less amp

Not Supporting Higher Samplerate
-Process every Sample = All audio stays intact and is acted on
-All componants stay intact = The amp is as it was designed

So, considering a lot of people, including some very large producers I know have said that they just don't go above 48k, I will not be making our ampsims less by supporting it. In fact in future when our plugs detect a higher samplerate than 48k we will automatically bypass the processing and send the signal through unaltered.

Other companies and developers support higher samplerates...good for them, I know that for us to support higher samplerates would mean delivery of less of a product, and less audio processing. I am not in any way saying that this is what they are doing to support higher samplerates, But I am saying what we have to do to support it...

Some food for thought..
Why do people use higher samplerates?

Obviously to obtain better sound quality, and I agree on some things it is better. However in terms of our products... Because we would have to cut some processing to support higher samples, our users would be getting the polar opposite of what they want. What is the point of having 96 k samples if you can only process every 64th? In fact you would get better sound quality from an ABG amp sim by recording at 48k...Because we can process everything at 48k...

The other more deceptive approach..
Some developers simply down sample the input signal to 44100, do their processing and then up sample back to 96 after processing. That in fact would work and we would save cpu etc. etc., but that is not right, you are still only processing a 44100 samplerate. So, unless the ampsim itself is REALLY supporting 96k, then you are not truly using a 96k samplerate. So, whats the point? You might as well have just recorded it at 44100 in the first place, that will leave you more room for more effects, instruments, tracks, etc..I guess in short what I'm saying is, Make sure the ampsim is truly supporting a higher samplerate before using the higher rate. If it does truly support it then great, if not then as you can see by the above, you might be just wasting resources.

(I'm saying that you are, I have no way of knowing your particulars...)
KM

I know some plugins (Nick Crow's Tubedriver is the only one I can think of) will automatically use a higher sample rate when rendering a project. Would that be an option you could include for the omg-need-higher-quality folks?

Yeah maybe...As an offline process like not in real time, that would probably be a good way of doing that..Really good point man I have not given this any thought...I got some thinking and testing to do... I mean I want to support higher samplerates but not at the cost of loosing my head design or at sacrificing the sample processing...
KM

Found a bug: When copying the Shred fx (plugin) in Reaper to another track, everything is copied except the input gain and the cabinet bypass level settings.

Tests (please ignore the tracks in red, orange and yellow, they are muted)

Marvel: couldn't get a quite distorted sound, sounds like a heavy overdriven sound. I never liked Marshal amps anyway

Shred: had to turn the treble and presence knobs down as it was reaaaally trebly. It sounded really lower in volume than Marvel, I raised the tracks' volume but I couldn't match it to Marvel's and the rest of the cabs sound. This one sounds nice, maybe it needs further testing and different EQing to get a better tone

Honken: never tried or heard a Fender Bassman or an AC30 so I don't know how it should sound, I guess it's not an amp for distorted riffs. You might ignore this test as well.

Quarter: same as Honken

Supersound 1972: same as above

Shred + Marvel: sounds like a good combination, but I like 2 Shreds better

Conclussion: For distorted gutiars, the only one I liked was Shred, I think sounds promising, though it is a bit TOO trebly, though I am not sure if this is my fault. I think the other ones can be really good for overdriven tones, but as I don't have anything like that to try I can't post any better examples. I will be trying Honken for clean sounds soon and then I will post the results

Here's the tone I am getting with LePou le456, for comparisson: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1643345/zz99 - Misc Shit/AMG - Shred/holy diver - le456 RW+Rcb.mp3

Chain:
1) TSS
2) Ampsim
3) LeCab: 2 impulses: one from Red Wire and one from Recabinet, both correspond to Mesa 4x12
4) EQ (in the guitars bus)

2.2% of CPU here. Don't like Shred. It has the typical strange transistor amp feeling that I found in many of your plugins.

Shogger

OK...
Dexter the other thing that I was going to suggest is to make sure that your input level is right, it if is too low you won't overdrive the internals. Too high though and you will not be able to get a clean sound. The input level can be adjusted by clicking the square button directly under the head selection arrow buttons.

Thanks guys...
guess its back to the drawing board with this...For a little while anyways..do some more tweaking...
KM

2.2% of CPU here. Don't like Shred. It has the typical strange transistor amp feeling that I found in many of your plugins.

Strange comment. Personally I've got some very cool tones from the acmebargig amps in the past. I really liked the Series 60 and Razorhead as could get great definition out of them. Nothing like a transistor amp at all? Also really liked the Knuckle Head as it was quite a different style and tone.

Will test shred CSV and report later,

Yeah I kinda thought so too... I mean I definitely take shogger's opinion to heart as I have known him for quite some time, and have had many conversations. I just don't remember you mentioning that before shogg? If you did then sorry man I have forgotten about it, but please do elaborate if you get the chance and feel so inclined..

Thanks
KM

Can I ask if you could do a similiar thing that is in guitar rig, where you push a button, play your guitar as loud as you will, then it sets the input gain accordingly? That way the input gain is about where you designed the ampsim to work. It's not really hard to do either, just set a 3 second timer, check the peak level of the incoming signal and raise/drop to the designed use level. Or alternatively a led that turns yellow when it's too quiet, red when it's too loud and green when it's okay.

And preferrably add it to the G-Spot too.

OK...
Dexter the other thing that I was going to suggest is to make sure that your input level is right, it if is too low you won't overdrive the internals. Too high though and you will not be able to get a clean sound. The input level can be adjusted by clicking the square button directly under the head selection arrow buttons.

Thanks guys...
guess its back to the drawing board with this...For a little while anyways..do some more tweaking...
KM
Yeah, I read what you said about gain in your first post. Gain in those clips was maxed out. By the way, I am trying Honken for cleans and I am really liking it