Sick guitar tone >.<

GODAMMIT I HATE FITTEDS ARRGGGHHHHHH NOW SWEDES WEAR THEM TOO WHEN WILL IT END!??!?!!?!? :cry:

l_6fc1e186de14011d0317b8d479f6655e.jpg

Those stupid flat-brimmed hats with the stickers perpetually on them :erk: It started as a gangsta trend, and now tough-guy hardcore scene kids have embraced 'em, and the trend continues to spread, it seems...

Oh man, now that I'm listening (and not just criticizing earrings :heh: ), this really does sound like every Invader clip I've heard - check out this one by our own Temps on here, I definitely hear a very similar character, so I'd bet it is an Invader (or some Engl)

I think you're close! Well, I'm not sure but I tracked down some posts by Seyd on Guitar Amp Modeling forum, where he stated he wanted an ENGL if he was going for miced guitars so that may be what he/they ended up using in that production.

It's pretty amazing how you guitar geeks can pin point things when I as a drummer go like ... "?" :D

But anyway, what made me create this thread was those fucking weirdo BAUUUUUUW notes at 0:21 ... I still cannot grasp how they made that :D Doubled by some kind of a synth is good suggestion.. wonder if there might be more ways they could've done that. It sounds so sick!

I think you're close! Well, I'm not sure but I tracked down some posts by Seyd on Guitar Amp Modeling forum, where he stated he wanted an ENGL if he was going for miced guitars so that may be what he/they ended up using in that production.

It's pretty amazing how you guitar geeks can pin point things when I as a drummer go like ... "?" :D

But anyway, what made me create this thread was those fucking weirdo BAUUUUUUW notes at 0:21 ... I still cannot grasp how they made that :D Doubled by some kind of a synth is good suggestion.. wonder if there might be more ways they could've done that. It sounds so sick!

Sounds like a super djenty tone with a 7 string opening up on the bottom string, thats all, i wish i could achieve a djenty tone like that though,

Is it possible with a pod? i may look into getting one if it is

That tone has PodXT written all over it. Big bottom model to be exact. I'm not gonna guess at the cab model (v30 maybe?) or the mic model, but god damn does that sound like the big bottom amp. It even has that scratchiness when they do the faster chugs that made me hate that model and stop using it.

That "bwow" sound is just the sound of an occasional very low open string being plucked harder than it normally should be, sandwiched between a ton of palm muted notes. The harder you hit such a floppy string, the more bwow you get, as its essentially pulling the note sharp a bit and letting it come back to its intended pitch. I have to admit I love that sound, too.

As with Bulb's/Tesseract's/Chimp Spanner's mixes, I'm pretty sure at least 75% of the heaviness is coming from that monster bass tone they get. I'm still working to achieve that sort of bass tone.

OT: Who started this sound, anyway? It almost sounds like Bulb is mixing all of these bands' projects for them. I know thats not the case, but whoever started this whole heavily Meshuggah influenced Podxt/DFHS using revolution has pretty much created an entirely new subgenre (Which I must admit I'm a huge fan of). I know tons of people use the same gear and achieve widely different results, but I' sure most of us here know what I'm talking about.

OT: Who started this sound, anyway? It almost sounds like Bulb is mixing all of these bands' projects for them. I know thats not the case, but whoever started this whole heavily Meshuggah influenced Podxt/DFHS using revolution has pretty much created an entirely new subgenre (Which I must admit I'm a huge fan of). I know tons of people use the same gear and achieve widely different results, but I' sure most of us here know what I'm talking about.

Meshuggah? :D

Edit: Since Fredrik Thordendal made this guitar sound AND released the drum samples (Yes, he's a part of Toontrack) AND gave a way how he mixed it.....

I'm starting to think the whole guitar tone was mixed specifically to make those open notes sound huge.. the rest of the tone is a little thin in comparison IMO.

Oh man, now that I'm listening (and not just criticizing earrings :heh: ), this really does sound like every Invader clip I've heard - check out this one by our own Temps on here, I definitely hear a very similar character, so I'd bet it is an Invader (or some Engl)

That's mostly because that was through an impulse. Through a cab, I haven't been able to get anything as PodXT sounding as the tone in the OP :lol: although the Invader does have an unusual aggressive pick attack that could be called Pod-ish. I'm pretty sure this amp was created specifically for people tuning very low and playing this type of thing :D

That tone has PodXT written all over it. Big bottom model to be exact. I'm not gonna guess at the cab model (v30 maybe?) or the mic model, but god damn does that sound like the big bottom amp. It even has that scratchiness when they do the faster chugs that made me hate that model and stop using it.

That "bwow" sound is just the sound of an occasional very low open string being plucked harder than it normally should be, sandwiched between a ton of palm muted notes. The harder you hit such a floppy string, the more bwow you get, as its essentially pulling the note sharp a bit and letting it come back to its intended pitch. I have to admit I love that sound, too.

As with Bulb's/Tesseract's/Chimp Spanner's mixes, I'm pretty sure at least 75% of the heaviness is coming from that monster bass tone they get. I'm still working to achieve that sort of bass tone.

Interesting post man! Thanks for the info.

I think the tone sounds like shit, very thin sounding even with drums and the bass. I dont think it helps that the bass tone sucks too.

Meshuggah? :D

Edit: Since Fredrik Thordendal made this guitar sound AND released the drum samples (Yes, he's a part of Toontrack) AND gave a way how he mixed it.....

I see your point, but this sound is totally different from where mushuggah takes things. I can hear an attempt at some resemblance to the DEI guitar tone in the notion that it's fairly thin and has a lot of grind, but thats about it. Meshuggah has way different bass tones, and even their DFHS drums sound assloads more organic than what these bands tend to go for. I'm not knocking anybody in the least bit, because I think it sounds pretty rad for their stuff, but it's just kind of easy to spot that sound, you know? Like, "Oh, another one of these bands, eh?"

I haven't heard enough of it for it to get anoying yet, and I have to admit I still like it, but I still take note when I hear the sound.

I'm thinking Bulb's popularity in recent years has influenced a lot of bedroom engineers. I'm not saying he's the originator of the sound, but he's definitely the first person I've heard it from.